Intel Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015
1,822 Interview Reviews

3.1

Technical Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

They asked me to walk them through my resume. I first had a phone interview, and then they asked to see my resume and transcript. I then had a follow up interview.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Half an hour on campus interview. 5 ~ 10 minutes briefly introduce my research work. Then a behavioral question. The interviewer is extremely nice. Lastly we discussed about the working environmental at company culture of Intel. Happy conversation.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

Very informal interview process. People were very friendly and polite. Level of questions was average. Had multiple interviews on logic design, architecture and circuit design.Very informal interview process. People were very friendly and polite. Level of questions was average. Had multiple interviews on logic design, architecture and circuit design.

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied trough my friend. After 3 months, I got a call for phone call interview (1hr). I answered all the questions. Next day, I got confirmation for Onsite Interview. I had 10 days to prepare. After 2 days, I got the confirmation.

Interview Questions

• Phone call Interview: Physical Design Flow. What problems did you face ? How to remove Setup violation ? How to remove Hold violation ? Unix commands: ls, cp, grep what is the command to check processes running ? How to run process in background ? softlink command how to check disk usage ? Perl questions: chop vs chomp array, hash, default scalar sign. what is th difference between array and hash when we do indexing ? Logic: he gave me one boolean exp to solve. latch vs flop sram vs dram ? which one is volatile? D FF using MUX D FF operation Comp Arch: pipeline ? cache ? virtual memory ? TLB ? what is the set size for fully associative cache ? Direct associative ? he had given me configuration. Verilog: blocking vs nonblocking initial block ? always ? FSM for 0101. moore vs mealy ?(mealy is prone to glitches. This is what he wanted to hear) verilog code for DFF. Physical: electromigration. setup. hold time, skew ? effect of length, width, thickness on resistance. effect of temp, voltage on Delay. Onsite: First round: she was also Trojan :-) (USC Fight On) tell me about urself. why this transition ? (undergrad in Elec&tele, job in software and MS in EE) Physical Design flow ? what to do to remove setup violation? Hold violation ? sizing, MOS structure, VI curve, effect of voltage on delay, temp on delay ? problem on setup and hold using delay values. power minimization techniques. She was going in depth. Thats it. Second round: Unix commands: how to find .txt files, copy files from one directory to another. find files with particular string. how to execute unix commands in perl script ? (ANS: use exec before each unix command and done) use strict ? what is tht #! usr/bin/perl we write at the start of program ? C vs perl ? Read the file(set up vioations). there are 1000 lines in that file. Print 5 worst delays. array vs linked list with respect to memory allocation. pipeline ? stages ? which CPU is better ? 1GHz vs 2 GHz. Third round: Physical design flow. behavioral: situation when you had conflict with your friend. how you handled situation. how you divide work while working in group. how will you avoid conflict ? (Divide work) how you do finish work before deadline? when you start working on something, you get some problems, you solve it then how do you avoid same mistake in future.(I will note it down. he wanted to hear this) skew, seup time, hold time. Fourth round: Physical Design Flow, synthesis steps, APR steps, problems related to setup and skew.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

It was a phone interview with a hiring manager first. It took about one hour with questions about my background, my school, my resume, and behavior questions. It was a good opportunity for the manager to know me and for me to present myself. The most important thing is to know what you put on your resume and do not leave an impression that you overly decorate your resume. I got a on site interview invitation at the end of the phone call. It surprised me at that time since I thought they needed some time to consider my performance. 3 weeks later, I went to the onsite interview. The experience of the on site interview left me a very positive impression of intel. The interviewers were very nice and professional. I know one day interview can be exhausted, but I think I prepared it well. I rehearsed my presentation very carefully before I went there, so I think I did a pretty good job of time control. Most of the questions were behavior questions and technical questions of my presentation. In general, all discussion was of PhD level, so make sure you know what you talk about. The whole process of the on site interview took from 8:30 to 4:45.

Hybrid Virtual Platform EngineerHW/Software Co-design Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online. It took 2 weeks to hear from them. Two rounds. First with the manager. Second with two technical leads of the team. (Graduate Student at University of Southern California)

Interview Questions

• 1. Day 1 - Call from manager (30 minutes) -> He was very cool. So it wasn't that hard to deal with him :) -> He just went through some basic stuffs in my resume and then some technical questions.Some questions that I could recollect are the following. -> Can you explain the basic design flow of a system in FPGA? -> What kind of FPGA did I use in my project? ->If you get an new FPGA , what all components will you expect in that? -> Describe the basic hardware setup of FPGA in your lab. -> How would you debug a design in FPGA ? How can you probe to different interconnects in your design? -> Different components of a test bench. What level of simulations were done before generating the bit file and running the design on FPGA? -> What is PLI? - Programming Language Interface -> Difference between blocking and non blocking assignments, Fork and Join. Different methods in Verilog (always, initial block), How many times does an Initial Block gets executed. 2. Day 2 - Call from two tech leads of the team (1 hour) -> Even they started with my projects in resume. Some questions that I could recollect are; -> On what aspects of C have you worked on? What is the largest program that you have written in C? -> What do you think are the basic changes from C to C++? -> What do you mean by polymorphism in C++ ? -> Have you used any code debuggers in your projects? -> On what aspects of Perl have you worked on? You built the code from scratch or was that an incremental development? -> Basic components of a processor? -> Why we use cache in the processor? Difference between write back and write through policies? -> Can you think of a disadvantage of cache? -> If the goal of a design is minimize(area, delay,power), can you point out the compromise you would make in each of the following; area and delay, delay and power, power and area? -> Tell a situation you would have faced in your design experience : Tests passed in simulation but the synthesis failed. -> If you have an option to select between schematic and RTL, which one would you prefer. Why would you mix schematics and RTL in your design ? -> How would you save power by scaling down Vdd ? Will that affect the frequency of operation of your design ?What is the compromise you would make here? -> i have used Bloom filter in one of my projects, so they asked what is Bloom filter ? Why did you choose bloom filter when so many other hash functions are available out there? -> What do you mean by false positives in hash functions? -> Explain the design approach of an Inter Convertible FIFO, which could be used as a FIFO or as a Data Ram.   Answer Question

Graphics Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Folsom, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Asked a lot about verilog, system verilog, Unix and perl scripting. Also focused on circuit design concepts and fundamentals in VLSI design, comp arch, HDVL. Was a very good interview. The manager gave a lot of time for me to think through and I felt very comfortable. Brush up on verilog and system verilog before giving the interview.

Component Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Austin, TX).

Interview

Full day technical interview with each of the 4-5 team members. Purely technical. mainly hardware design and few software related questions. i had many interviews before with basic CPU knowledge Qs. DMA, cache, virtual memory, sram vs dram,two bit counter design from scratch, frequency deviders, jtag, dfx, and writing a verilog code for a disc to tell which direction it is spinning if you have two sensors and the disc is half black and half white.

Interview Questions

• state machines, FIFOs sync and non-sync, clock domain crossing, meta stability, buses   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Met me in lobby and took me into a small room. Individually interviewed with several different high-up engineers separately. Process was about 2.5-3 hours total. They all asked me some conceptual questions, experience and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Describe parsing sets of data using excel and storing the parsed data into a proper data structure.   Answer Question
    • Pros and cons of C/C++   Answer Question
    • Dealing with a bad group member & resolution   Answer Question
    • Resume questions, experience, how it will be helpful for their group   Answer Question
    • Things I've built, what languages, why, what I learned   Answer Question

Strategic Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

Interview

First, I was asked to formally apply for the position which I had to ensure my current manager was aware of my interest. Not all hiring managers require applicants to formally apply, since it can create some tension between applicant and current manager (applying notifies your manager). A screening was scheduled with the manager, and then 2 interviews followed.

Interview Questions

• Describe your customer/partner relationship management experience.   Answer Question