Intel Corporation Interview Questions in Portland, OR

Updated Aug 20, 2015

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR).

Interview

1 Phone Screen by Hiring Manager 3 Technical Phone Screens from Engineers All day on-site interview (1 Presentation, 1 lunch interview with Hiring Manager, 8 1:1 interviews with engineers) Phone Screens were quite technical in nature, asked questions on Applied Mathematics, C++, PhD expertise, Chemical Engineering, etc. Lunch interview with Hiring Manager was tricky with all sorts of behavioral questions aimed at judging personality, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was mostly asked interview questions about my PhD, and how I would apply them to the job under consideration.   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

I need to meet several interviewers by one by one in a meeting room where I can use a white board to answer their question. Each interviewer has different strong background especially for WiFi standard, signal processing, wireless communication, and programming. Between interviews, there is a lunch meeting with my manager.

Interview Questions

• Draw and explain a (general) wireless communication system.   1 Answer

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

A few engineers from Intel came to my university to recruit graduating doctoral students. At the end they collected resumes and emailed some students the next day for phone interviews. The phone interview was around a half hour on a Friday, and the interviewer said he would speak with groups at Intel and see if anyone was interested. The following Monday I received an email inviting me to fly out for an interview a week and a half later. The interview day started with a presentation of my thesis work and a technical interview with around 4 engineers. They took me to lunch and then a short tour of the fab, then the afternoon consisted of two interviews with a manager (one level up) and then an area manager (two levels up.)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

I initially applied online and it took about two months to actually get called back. Once I got called back though, the process went very quickly! First, I was contacted for a phone screening that was pretty straightforward with a few behavioral questions and technical questions that felt like they were read off of a paper. After passing the phone screening I was contacted two days later with a second more technical phone screening. It also had a few behavioral questions and a few questions that actually asked me how I would design a program. A couple days after that, I was contacted for a flight out to the Intel campus for an in person interview. The flight scheduling was really nice, Intel covered everything (flight, hotel, car rental, food). The on campus interview was rather intense, not because it was hard but because it was draining. It started at 8:00 AM and I had interviews with 9 people (mostly 1 hour, but two were half hour) ending at 5:00 PM. The on campus interviews tended to always start with a behavioral question or two, then they would lead off into technical questions. I was asked to write code on a whiteboard, locate bugs in some printed code, write code on paper, and how I would design certain solutions (sometimes with code and sometimes with just a high level overview). The Intel campus was great! It was HUGE compared to what I'm used to. The campus had three food courts (which had some good food from the lunch that was provided for me), a spa and salon, massage therapist, gym (with karate and yoga classes at the moment, but I was told more are offered), play area (ping pong tables, pool tables, air hockey tables, and what's even better is people were actually playing!), US Bank branch (not just an ATM, but actually a desk with a teller), and health center with a doctor and nurses (you know, for all the injuries programmers get from typing. Actually, you can go there for all your regular checkups).

Interview Questions

• Write a recursive Java function to reverse a String object   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Intel?   Answer Question
    • How would you design a web service to limit a user to 1000 transactions per hour?   Answer Question
    • If you have 8 coins and one weighs more than the others, give three algorithms with their best and worst case comparisons. Which of the three algorithms would you use? Alright, code the algorithm.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how you dealt with a stressful situation.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of how you dealt with an angry coworker   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was prepared to negotiate to a higher salary, but the initial offer was actually higher than I expected. When I talked about it with the recruiter, she said that the extended a larger salary than normal to be, so no negotiation took place. If you do have to negotiate though, it sounded like the recruiter will need to take your requested salary and go back to the team you're applying for to request the new salary, so it may require a few phone calls.

Senior Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a whole day interview process from morning to evening. Research talk was the first thing on the morning followed by technical interview session and lunch with the manager and three more interviews in the evening.

Interview Questions

• How did you manage to motivate yourself when the work doesn't go as well as you had hoped for?   1 Answer

Manufacturing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

First interview was with a panel of 3, and took place at Portland State University. Apparently they interviewed 30 people that day and called back 25. I was asked 5 behavioral questions and 5 technical questions from some sort of interview manual. I had to ask for some time to answer some of the behavioral questions and royally screwed up a couple of the technical questions (even though they were easy), but I still got a call back the next day for a second interview. For the second interview, I met with 3 different managers and interviewed with each of them individually at Ronler Acres. Second interview consisted of some more behavioral questions, as well as questions like "Tell me about yourself", and "Why did you choose to become a math major?". Definitely felt like more of a conversation than the first interview. After 3 weeks, they extended me an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had a conflict with a coworker, and what did you do to resolve it   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you were working against a deadline and had to balance multiple projects at once   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you were working in an unsafe environment   Answer Question
    • Identify these elements/compounds: H, C, Hg, Si, H2O2, KOH   Answer Question
    • A gas canister weighs 100 lbs empty, and 200 lbs full. It's sitting on a digital scale. You need to program the scale to alert you when the canister is 80% and 90% empty, respectively. At what values (in lbs) do you program the scale to alert you?   Answer Question

Process Technology Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR).

Interview

I submitted my resume at a job fair and was contacted when a position opened several months later for a phone interview. Phone interview lasted ~45 minutes and was mostly behavioral questions and an introduction to the job tasks. I was invited for a site visit a few weeks later and did a full day interview with multiple current employees as well as a research presentation. Half of the interviews were pleasant and mostly focused on behavioral questions. The other half were very difficult, consisting of lots of high-stress questions about problem solving and technical questions about coursework from graduate school. I imagine their purpose was to push me to my intellectual limit and to see how I handled stress. Several people talked about the constant stress of the job and how tricky it was to maintain work/life balance. They did not make it seem like a desirable job, especially given how demanding it was.

Interview Questions

• Given a basic description of a machine/tool and a scenario (i.e. this readout isn't working), how would you go about fixing it?   Answer Question

D1C Manufacturing Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Fairly easy interview process. Basic electronic troubleshooting knowledge is a must. Phone interview was scheduled first, followed by a group interview. They asked a series of situation based questions followed by technical questions. Overall, the interview process was not difficult.

Manager Treasury Accounting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Portland, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

I interviewed one on one with 6 separate individuals all with different roles and personalities. I go the feeling they were going through the motions and may have already made up their mind on whom they intended to hire because they seemed rushed, scattered and uninterested. Hired internally without notifying me of the decision had to find out from a friend who works there.

Process TD Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied through Collage and had the first interview with a area manager on campus. After the end the first interview which took 30 min he asked whether I'll be interested for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• They were more interested in problem solving skills of the candidate.   Answer Question