Intel Corporation

Intel Corporation Rotation Engineer Interview Questions

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Rotation Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Intel Corporation.

The interview process consisted of an on-campus technical talk with recruiters, followed by a dinner with some of the current REP members. A few weeks later, I was invited out for an on-site interview, followed by a job offer.

Met an interviewer at a campus recruiting process. The Rotation Engineer Program is an 18 month long program designed to develop technical leadership within the company. Applications are not accepted, only invitations are given. I happened to attend a technical talk given by the recruiters, and stayed afterwards. I struck up a conversation with the recruiter for the REP, mentioning that I was interested. He viewed my resumé, and told me there was mutual interest. That was it for the technical talk.

I got a phone call later that day, from the recruiter. I was invited out to a dinner with other current REP members, as a meet and greet. The dinner was pretty casual, although the recruiters are identifying whether you have enough social skills to work well with others. I didn't do a great job cracking jokes or having a good time, but I wasn't completely silent. I asked a lot of questions about the program, especially some personal questions. I believe this showed genuine seriousness about applying. This was it for the on-campus interview.

A few weeks later, received a phone call an offer to be flown out for an on-site interview. On-site, I was paired with a current REP member to be my buddy. The point was to allow me more access to someone with a real perspective of the REP program. The first night consisted of a casual dinner, preceded by a social group activity. The main point is to loosen the candidates up, have them feel comfortable. However, I'm sure the interview process already started at that point. Make sure to feel at home, and comfortable with the people around you. The Intel people are extremely friendly.

The second day of the on-site interview consisted of a morning to mid-afternoon interview with hiring managers and HR personnel. There weren't so many formal questions, but each hiring manager is different. I had a couple managers discuss his projects in a technical fashion. I believe he wanted to see how I could interact with him on a technical level. Make sure to give feedback on how you understand things, and don't be afraid to ask questions and offer ideas/comments. Sometimes I'd get thrown relatively simple technical questions, such as "What ways do you think you could accomplish XX?" Lunch was held in a meeting room. The last talk of the day covered the compensation at Intel. At this point, the interview process seemed to loosen up. There was one more social event at night, and the next day we were flown back home.

Overall, quick and simple process. Great interview experience. Interviewers are friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions
  • Didn't seem to be too many difficult questions. Nothing like, "recall XX equation". Hardest part was probably the social situations. The point is to make the candidates relaxed, but it's hard to do that when I know we're being observed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation in April 2012.

1st Interview (phone): Talked with a current REP engineer.
    2nd Interview (phone): Talked with the REP manager.
    3rd Interview (on-site): Flew to Hillsboro (Intel booked the travel) to interview with the group that would host my first rotation if hired into REP. The on-site interview went from 9am to 3pm and included: about five 1:1 interviews (the final being with the group manager at the end of the visit), three phone interviews, and a presentation where I described previous research/work/related experience. From my understanding, this interview reflects what one should expect if applying directly to the group of the first rotation.

The interviews can be grueling so get rest if possible. Also ensure that you have reacquainted yourself with all of the items on your resume or CV. Make sure that you have working knowledge of previous research and experience--especially those items that relate to your prospective job. You will likely receive questions regarding your field (how is it defined?), specific job skills, your job personality (e.g. conflict resolution).

I have previously interned with Intel Corp. and I submitted a portfolio that was tailored specifically for my first rotation, i.e., the group with which I interviewed. I was told that both really improved my chances of being hired.

Interview Questions
    • Define [Insert your field here].   View Answer
    • Can you describe a situation where you disagreed with someone that you worked with? How did you resolve it?   View Answer
    I did not attempt to negotiate a higher salary, but in retrospect I think that I should have. The employee faces the difficulty of self valuation, however, the employer will almost always try to lock in a new hire at the lowest "reasonable" salary. Many experts recommend that you give employers a salary range with the lowest end of the range being what you actually want--I should have at least given that a whirl, but the offer actually exceeded the number I had in mind after doing some research on careers in my field. When it comes to negotiation, knowledge is power!

I was considering several job offers, however, I chose Intel because the salary and career alignment were superior. When evaluating multiple offers, make sure that you consider the cost of living associated with each offer--a higher salary doesn't necessarily equate to money in the pocket. The same goes for work/life balance and whether you will be engaged and happy in your role over the long haul.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2010.

Typically for engineers involves both a behavioral and a technical interviewPrimarily based around an informal behavioral interview for me as the only technical questions they had was for electrical engineering, but that was not my field, so it was a bit awkward. But this will vary greatly from group to group.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of a time where you had to work in a team where someone didn't contribute. What did you do?   Answer Question
    They did not negotiate at all.