Intel Corporation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Software Engineer Entry Level
Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview: asked easy questions. Most are on glassdoor.
On site Interview:
Very nice arrangements for travel and hotel.
Interview process was very good.
Kind and relaxed interviewers.
Asked everything about operating systems.
Everything from hardware to software.
Study Operating systems from Modern Operating Systems by Tenenbaum.
Computer System architecture. Virtual memory, addressing.
Questions:

1. Implement functions (in C) for insertion, removal of nodes from circular queue using arrays.
2. Implement array reversal without iteration.
3. Remove any node from Linked List. Remove the node which is the easiest to remove. Write code in C.
4. What is the address in C code when we write &a. a is a variable. is it virtual address or physical address.
5. Questions on projects on resume.

Great interviewers, remain calm.

Interview Question – Array reverse without using iteration. Code in C.   View Answers (2)

Supply/Demand Analyst Interview

Supply/Demand Analyst
Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process took up the whole day. There were four 1 on 1 interview sessions with the hiring managers where they asked behavioral style questions. there was also a case study where they gave me a sheet of data in which I was to interpret and make some calculations to support conclusions and suggestions. Overall it was a great interview experience, though it was intense and challenging.

Interview Question – Has there ever been a time where you have had to question authority? How did you go about doing it and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in January 2012.

Interview Details – got 1 phone round and 5 panel on site interview

Interview Question – can we use latch to sync cross clock domain   View Answer

Reason for Declining – low pay and job description was not my match

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2011.

Interview Details – I received an email from my department asking me to send my resume to a Software Engineer position at Intel. I sent my resume and after about a month, I was contacted directly by a Team lead from the Power Management group at Intel. They asked me my preferred date and time for the phone interview and I scheduled it a week later.

Legal Interview

Legal
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone call, 1:1 in person, and then a round of in person interviews. Very interesting, cutting edge work. The position changed in scope over time. I was led to believe that I would get the job, and then did not, due to the changed scope. The people were very nice, professional, laid back. The atmosphere was cold. Labyrinths of of drab cubicles, lots of Lenovo ThinkPads, limited facilities for food, beverages or snacks. Seemed like the building would be a tough place for a creative person to work. It was very different from a typical Silicon Valley startup (ironic, since Intel is the ultimate Silicon Valley success story).

Interview Question – Unexpectedly easy questions. I would have liked to have been challenged so that I could have shined brighter.   Answer Question

Contract Software Engineering Position Interview

Contract Software Engineering Position
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2011.

Interview Details – This was an on-site interview for a 6-month contract position. My resume had been forwarded by a recruiter. Although a contract position was not my primary objective, I wanted to get more practice interviewing and to see if the interviewing/hiring process for a temporary position would be different. The hiring manager came to fetch me in the lobby and apparently expected someone different as he had to ask the person at reception to point me out. We went to a small interview room, where he started asking me about my experience while reviewing my resume on his laptop. He soon cut me short to try to find group members to interview me, who arrived after a few minutes, upon which the hiring manager left. One of the two interviewers started with questions to determine better which level of the software stack I had been programming at, asked me for a block diagram, asked me to describe some of the APIs exported by the system I had worked with, etc. The interviewer tended to change the question midway through my answer, and this went on and on. He seemed impatient with the pace of my answers. The other engineer was reading from her laptop (my resume? her email?). After some minutes of being bombarded with questions without being able to answer any of them to completion, I paused and said maybe we should stop the interview. At that point, the questioner backed off a bit and his companion took over. We did some white board programming. They answered the few questions I had and left, whereupon the hiring manager returned and gave me a final white-board programming problem. Soon he was done and escorted me back to the entrance. The white-board programming questions were not too bad, but overall the experience was dreadful because of the way I was bombarded with questions by the one interviewer. Besides that, they were visibly not interested in me as a candidate. In my opinion they conveyed a terrible impression of the company. Furthermore, the layout of the building was unappealing: white walls, narrow hallways, small rooms. A nightmare that left me feeling trashed afterwards for the rest of the day.

Interview Question – Describe in detail the APIs (with parameters) and hardware components used to set up a video stream pipeline in a set-top box.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in January 2009.

Interview Details – Hr Screen on phone.
Phone interview by Manager.
Followed by onsite interview with three to four collegues.
Followed by HR call and Salary Negotiation and final offer

Interview Question – Unexpected questions arise out of what they are doing rather then what you know.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Please not to be desparate in accepting the job and you will loose the negotiation chance.

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter, talked for 5 minutes about general stuff... my interests, what the position is about, the group at Intel. A week later I was notified that they would like me for an on-site interview in a week. At the on-site interview I met with 7 people during one morning... 8am-12pm.

This being a Software Engineering position I expected at least some technical questions, but I received none! The only technical question was one casual "can you code?". To which I replied yes of course. Every interviewer asked me what I did for my PhD and we generally talked about my work. It seems that the most important thing for them was to determine whether I'll be a good fit with my vision, interests and prior experience. I would say personality is definitely another thing they look for even though you may not notice it.

People in this group seemed pretty young and open minded... especially the group leader (boss). The position in itself wasn't really the "code in the trenches" kind and it has quite a bit of flexibility and requires creativity and novel approaches. Perhaps that's why they were more interested in the vision and interests than coding.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a good fit to this group?   Answer Question
  • Questions about my PhD work where I had to justify my decisions. They were difficult because the questions were coming from a different perspective than I would typically meet in academia.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Although they couldn't up-front the relocation expenses, they did offer a hiring bonus.

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Intern Technical Interview

Graduate Intern Technical
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in January 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by my prospective boss via e-mail within a week or so of responding to a solicitation for a specific internship on Intel's website, and we arranged a phone interview for later in the week.

He was fairly punctual about calling me and was easy to talk to. The interview wasn't what I expected -- no technical questions were asked, he started immediately with asking me if I had any questions, and so I proceeded to ask some things about what kind of environment I would be working in, what the surrounding area is like, and what kind of work I would be doing. He was reluctant to tell me the actual nature of the project, so I didn't press it. He asked me a few questions along the way, such as what my future ambitions were. All told, it was about an hour.

I heard back from him via e-mail a little less than two months later asking if I had any plans for the summer yet and that he had tentatively chosen someone that had done their graduate research in the exact area of the job (what are the odds, but then again, it's Intel) but was checking in on me as an alternate. I had already accepted another offer by that point, though.

Interview Question – What are your future ambitions?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in February 2011.

Interview Details – Headed to HQ for face2face interview. Three consecutive interviews were conducted by one product manager, one VP, and one product marketing manager.

Interview processes are similar: half behavioral questions and half professional questions.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Intel Corporation