Intel Corporation

Updated Aug 12, 2014

3.4

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Process Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Intel Corporation in May 2007.

Intel has a standard questions booklet they select questions from to test your individual apptitude and personality. They will also ask you to give several examples of situaitons you've been in that were confrontational, difficult, challenging, etc. It is helpful to have such examples prepared beforehand. I was also asked a very difficult technical question that involved semiconductor processing, but few of the other candidates reported questions as complicated as mine.

Interview Questions
  • Can you think of an example of where you had to deal with a supervisor or superior was resistant to accept your opinion or any changes you suggested?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Intel Corporation in March 2013.

First, got one phone interview for an engineering position with group No. 1. This one was very basic and informal, and most of the time was spent chatting about the company itself, my previous experience, and the details of the job.

Second interview was on-site with group No. 2. After the phone interview they had apparently passed my resume on to a different group, but it wasn't exactly clear. The interview lasted for a full day and consisted of nine back-to-back interviews in the cafeteria, with a break for lunch off-site. I had to be escorted everywhere, even to get a coffee or to go to the bathroom, and saw virtually nothing of the company except the cafeteria and a conference room. They couldn't even tell me what I would be working on, beyond the most general or basic of terms. At the end of the day I was expected to give an hour long presentation on my PhD research. Exhausting.

Most questions were technical, like "can you describe how XYZ works," but there were also a few questions like "if you had a problem with a co-worker, what would you do?"

Portland is great, the pay would be good, but I was not impressed with the job itself. These people are expected to put in 60 to 80 hours a week, possibly more if needed, plus be on-call 24/7. And, since it's a huge company that makes very precise, reliable devices, the engineering jobs require extreme specialization.

The process engineering job interview focused heavily on real-world problem solving skills. They wanted someone who had lived in the lab, who had owned a tool, and had solved complicated experimental problems on it. Theoretical or academic knowledge was not a priority.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe your most difficult problem in the lab, and how you solved it."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation in April 2013.

My advising professor received an email from a former student saying he was looking for recent/soon-to-be graduates in Mechanical Engineering. I sent him my resume and the next day had an hour phone interview, consisting of the details of my engineering experiences and what I wanted to do in my career. The next week I had an informal interview in Santa Clara, mostly consisting of more questions about my engineering experiences, and a thorough tour of the facilities related to the position and a lot of detail about the specifics of the job (the hiring manager was very concerned both that I was a good fit for the job and that the job was a good fit for me). The next week I came in for a formal interview, consisting of a 30 minute presentation of my engineering experiences to the group and a series of one-on-one interviews with each member of the group. The questions weren’t too difficult, with the exception of a few technical questions (by the younger members) and one interviewer who had some sort of sheet of standard (mostly behavioral) interview questions for a process engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected: what are the 2 golden rules of an op amp (I’m a mechanical engineer)?   View Answers (2)

The job sounded amazing, but I got another offer for another (also amazing) job which had a much better location with regard to family and affordable housing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Intel Corporation in September 2012.

After applying to several positions online and getting turned down, I finally got a phone interview from a group leader. During the phone interview I was asked to describe my research as if doing so to someone outside of my field. I was given 10 minutes to do so. Thereafter, the interviewer asked questions about some of my publications that he seemed to have already read before hand. He then proceeded to ask some tough random questions related to my optics background.

Right at the end of the phone interview, I was offered an onsite interview which I scheduled for the week after. The onsite was in Hillsboro, Oregon and comprised of a 45 minute presentation followed by questions. That was then followed by 9-10 one on one 30 minute discussions with various group members and other group leaders. I was also interviewed by the area manager who was the boss of the group leaders. All the interviews happened in the cafeteria, which made things less tense.

Ps - It is worth mentioning that the phone interview was my second with Intel. The first one had happened a week earlier with a different group leader, but somehow I got turned down for an onsite later that week. Intel recruiters tend to follow up on people like who get turned down, which is how I think I obtained the second interview (with a different group leader) a week or so later.

Interview Questions
    • what was the numerical aperture of such and such lens in your experiment? Tell me about the Michelson-morley experiment?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate as the offer was very impressive all the way down to the retirement package.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation in October 2011.

Full Day interview from 8.30 to 4.30 pm followed by a 40 minute presentation

Interview Questions
    • Random Chemistry questions and general lifestyle habits etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Intel Corporation in March 2012.

I submitted my resume in the system, and I got a phone interview with an engineering in 30 minutes regarding my research. After I passed a phone interview, I got on-site interview. There are three other candidates with different engineering backgrounds. We took turns to interview with 4 team members and finally got an interview with a hiring manager. After all interviews were done, and we presented our research to the team members. It was a day-long process.

Interview Questions
    • Difficult questions were coming from the current technical issues they had been experiencing in the process. Basically, how can we dispose polymer in the packaging process when certain sets of devices and conditions were given? The velocity of a dispenser and the amount of polymer are key outcome while varying temperature, viscosity, and configurations of polymer. You have to know about the relationship between viscosity and force and the characteristics of polymer. Another important thing that you should remember is how temperature is affecting the shear force of polymer. There are rare happenings of brimming over the die package specification. You should know about why it is happening, how you can handle it, and what might be the solution techniques at least in a brief format.   Answer Question

Senior Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation in November 2009.

It was a typical interview starting with the manager explaining me about the job, work at the particular location and the expectations. This was followed by a short interview with a very senior employee. This was followed by a presentation of my graduate research to a group of 4 engineers with a Q&A session at the end. I had lunch with 2 engineers some from the same group at the presentation. I was asked a combination of behavioral and research related questions during lunch and was provided with information about the area. I had one more interview with the second level manager followed by the manager closing out the interview with a brief tour of the facility. Overall the interview had gone as expected where I had to answer a lot of situation related questions and hence a slightly difficult but positive one.

Interview Questions
    • How will you deal with a situation where all others in your group do not agree with you on something from your work   View Answer
    I did not try negotiating since the offer was more than I had expected. Also I was informed by other friends who already work at the company that they do not negotiate the salary for recent college graduate hires. The offer is made on phone where you write down all the details and make a decision. They do offer to give you some time (I am guessing not more than a day or two) to think over the offer and make a decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation in February 2010.

Met with folks from Intel during our spring campus fair. Gave resume and talked with people. Got a phone call from a hiring manager. Was asked to comeby for an onsite interview. Had like 8 or 9 one-on-one interviews. Was a tiring and a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would be able to apply your phd work with Intel ?   View Answer
    • Do you like a manager who 'micromanages' or do you like a manager who leaves you a bit loose and does not follow what you are doing on an hourly basis ?   View Answers (2)
    No..not really.. I guess Intel pays well compared to other places.. Have an open and broad mindset and you will be fine..

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

The process took a dayinterviewed at Intel Corporation in October 2010.

I received a phone call from an Intel D1D employee who had found my resume in the Intel resume database. We played phone tag for several days during my vacation and agreed via voicemail to talk in more detail the day I returned home. I received a call from him on that day and was told the conversation would last about 45 minutes and that the caller had a series of questions he was required to ask me. I had not been informed beforehand that this was going to be a formal interview, so I had done no preparation. I was under the impression from our exchanged phone messages that we would just be talking about the details of the job to find out if I was interested in applying, since they had sought me out. During the conversation, I was asked numerous questions about my Ph.D. research. At the end of the interview, I was told that if they were interested in bringing me up to Oregon for an onsite interview, I would receive a call from an admin within the next two weeks. If I didn't receive a call, they weren't interested. If I had known the nature of the call ahead of time, I would have reviewed my dissertation and been more prepared for the interviewer's questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intel Corporation in July 2011.

Applied online. Got an a e mail a few days later to set up the phone interview time. This was ~1hr phone interview, very technical, nothing like a common preliminary interview. The interviewer went straight to questions about research, and technical details on methods and instrumentation.