Intel Corporation Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in June 2015.

Interview

I initially applied online and it took about two months to actually get called back. Once I got called back though, the process went very quickly! First, I was contacted for a phone screening that was pretty straightforward with a few behavioral questions and technical questions that felt like they were read off of a paper. After passing the phone screening I was contacted two days later with a second more technical phone screening. It also had a few behavioral questions and a few questions that actually asked me how I would design a program.

A couple days after that, I was contacted for a flight out to the Intel campus for an in person interview. The flight scheduling was really nice, Intel covered everything (flight, hotel, car rental, food).

The on campus interview was rather intense, not because it was hard but because it was draining. It started at 8:00 AM and I had interviews with 9 people (mostly 1 hour, but two were half hour) ending at 5:00 PM.

The on campus interviews tended to always start with a behavioral question or two, then they would lead off into technical questions. I was asked to write code on a whiteboard, locate bugs in some printed code, write code on paper, and how I would design certain solutions (sometimes with code and sometimes with just a high level overview).

The Intel campus was great! It was HUGE compared to what I'm used to. The campus had three food courts (which had some good food from the lunch that was provided for me), a spa and salon, massage therapist, gym (with karate and yoga classes at the moment, but I was told more are offered), play area (ping pong tables, pool tables, air hockey tables, and what's even better is people were actually playing!), US Bank branch (not just an ATM, but actually a desk with a teller), and health center with a doctor and nurses (you know, for all the injuries programmers get from typing. Actually, you can go there for all your regular checkups).

Interview Questions

• Write a recursive Java function to reverse a String object   Answer Question
  • Why should we hire you?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work at Intel?   Answer Question
  • How would you design a web service to limit a user to 1000 transactions per hour?   Answer Question
  • If you have 8 coins and one weighs more than the others, give three algorithms with their best and worst case comparisons. Which of the three algorithms would you use? Alright, code the algorithm.   Answer Question
  • Give an example of how you dealt with a stressful situation.   Answer Question
  • Give an example of how you dealt with an angry coworker   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was prepared to negotiate to a higher salary, but the initial offer was actually higher than I expected. When I talked about it with the recruiter, she said that the extended a larger salary than normal to be, so no negotiation took place.

If you do have to negotiate though, it sounded like the recruiter will need to take your requested salary and go back to the team you're applying for to request the new salary, so it may require a few phone calls.

Other Interview Reviews for Intel Corporation

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

Phone first (asked what I can do and I did), and on-site (interviewd by 2 man, ask 2 question). nothing else ...................no more............sorry................................bala bala bala bala bala bala bala bala bala bala bala

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online after noticing posts on LinkedIn. Had two rounds of telephonic interviews. Both were 30 to 40 minutes long. They were very supportive and brought out the answers from me by providing hints and encouragement. I had a very pleasant experience interviewing with both the engineers.

Interview Questions

• Questions mainly focused on the language C. The questions were directed towards gauging your understanding your understanding of how C works as a language and how compilers work in general. Questions included difference between C and Python, advantages of C, disadvantages of C.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Met me in lobby and took me into a small room. Individually interviewed with several different high-up engineers separately. Process was about 2.5-3 hours total. They all asked me some conceptual questions, experience and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Describe parsing sets of data using excel and storing the parsed data into a proper data structure.   Answer Question
    • Pros and cons of C/C++   Answer Question
    • Dealing with a bad group member & resolution   Answer Question
    • Resume questions, experience, how it will be helpful for their group   Answer Question
    • Things I've built, what languages, why, what I learned   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I feel like my opinion of this is marred by the fact that the interviewer doing my phone screen had a thick accent and I couldn't understand him. Even though the questions asked weren't hard, the interview was difficult and I kept having to ask him to repeat himself, which probably did not make me look good.

Interview Questions

• Create a binary tree and print its nodes in postorder.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was done via Microsoft Lync (like skype) and a collaborative coding tool where you can view code in real time. Interview consisted of both several technical questions and several questions about background and experience. Technical questions were C oriented, and the time given to answer them was rather limited. Interviewer was impatient and the interview itself was full of tension.

Interview Questions

• Questions about inheritance, polymorphism, and pointers in C.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

the overall experience was not so great. They took whole 4 weeks to send a confirm process letter. I was very disappointed. I felt very sad too. Such a good company.Hope fully looking forward to the interview again. when and where the details are to be known soon. Not known too.

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation (Hillsboro, OR) in January 2015.

Interview

Difficult.. Had a lot of unexpected questions, there's not much else to say. They do try to filter out people that don't know what they're doing. Great office and great atmosphere. They recruit quite aggressively.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

I was contacted by two different teams on the phone for a "get to know you" call. I received a technical follow-up call from one of the teams that did not go very well. It was my mistake that I wasn't very prepared. So study up on things you think you already know! Then I came in for long day of interviews with people from the other team. It was I think six different interviews ranging from technical puzzle to coding to questions on how I work with others. The environment was very relaxed, casual, and pretty comfortable. Because of my first screw-up on the phone I had put a week's worth of hard studying/reviewing so I was well prepared for these interviews, and they went really well.

Interview Questions

• What exactly happens in a computer system when there's a keyboard input interrupt, and how does the CPU process that instruction.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate a higher starting salary, which I was bummed about. But they did throw in a few thousand dollar sign-on bonus.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview

Applied from career fair. Took 1 week to get interview. They contacted via email and set date and time for one hour of interview. Questions were from three areas only. 1) C (2) Operating system (3) Computer architecture. Operating system and computer architecture questions were easy, but not C.

Interview Questions

• Questions regrading C were difficult as they wanted for operating system debugging. So you need to know all about C and it's good if you read any C book to get idea about some detail orientated questions.   Answer Question