Intellectual Ventures Interview Questions

Updated Nov 2, 2014

2.9

Corporate Communication Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Intellectual Ventures.

The interview process was very difficult. I was interviewed for about 5 hours straight between 12 different people. It was back to back interviews with the whole team I would be working with.

I was a new graduate and did not negotiate.

Director Interview

8 interviews, a few of those then became second interviews with the same people. Most questions were reasonable. Interviews were spread across about three weeks. Some confusion with interviewees outside main group because they didn't seem to know what the role was.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you can do for us. (second interview, before much information was known)   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in June 2014.

Applied through my university's website. Was called for an over the phone interview, then an in-person interview with 4 separate people. Got a call back within several days. Very straightforward process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about calculating the financial and economic impact of improved milk quality in Kenya?   Answer Question
    Non negotiable rate for interns

Technical Analyst Interview

Met with HR first and then had 5-6 back to back interviews with two different teams focusing on two separate technology areas. All meetings were one on one. Some very technical and some more focused on my personality and career goals.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions not related to my background or job description   Answer Question
    no room for negotiation for internship positions. Hours are flexible though.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures.

The company sounds very intriguing at first and tries to draw you in with how great they are. At the beginning the process is very normal and the HR folks are very nice. Most folks are cordial and treat you very well at the start.

As the process drags on they seem to care less and less about maintaining professional communication with the candidates.

Beware, if you are considering employment here, the process is VERY LONG and this isn't just from my experience but also from others I have known that have gone through it as well.

Interview Questions
    • Once you start the process they are very slow to communicate and have horrible followup to the point of being nearly rude. I don't believe this is necessarily the fault of HR but of the company and the management but HR should still communicate better. I went through almost 4 months of the process before I said enough was enough. They have very strange interview process which involves many peer panel type interviews with groups you won't even work with.   Answer Question

The company was just too strange for me to leave my current employer. They state that their integrity is their greatest value yet their business practices say otherwise. The management changed the description of the job which I was interviewing for halfway through the process and made it feel like the necessary tools to be successful in the job would not be freely available.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in July 2012.

I got a one-hour phone interview, all techinical questions. Then they gave me a project to complete. I spent almost one day on it. The onsite-interview lasts for a whole day, still very difficult technical questions. They are very smart and professional. They didn't give me an offer at last, but I believe it is a great place to work for.

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in June 2012.

Submitted resume for position posted on craigslist to internal employee who recommended me. Neither of us heard any information for a couple of weeks and then after internal pushing I was given an initial HR screen interview over the phone. The company had almost completed there interview process for the position. I was skipped over the manager phone interview and was scheduled the next week for an in-person interview with multiple managers. All the people I met were extremely nice and liked the direction the company was moving, all said the company today was not the same as when they started. I felt I did really well with all who interviewed me with the exception of one who did not seem interested in from my inside knowledge had already decided on who they wanted to hire for the position.

My internal source said they were looking for a reporting analyst and they ultimately hired a Junior reporting analyst for the same position I was interviewing for - Sr. Business Systems Analyst.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were told to just reproduce an existing report for requirements?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in June 2011.

Positive experience and fast process

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in March 2011.

Subsequent to phone interview by HR and hiring manager, flew out to interview with five(5) stakeholders for 30 to 60 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • Do you understand how our fund is structured ?   View Answer
    Import to negotiate aggressively. They appear to hold much back, and those who did negotiate get far more than those who did not. The org. appears comfortable with having large discrepancies in compensation between employees doing similar roles. Be smart, negotiate. If they don't give, then they don't really want you.

Must negotiate re-lo package (a must with IV given high turnover). Also, wise to negotiate a clause providing for move-back expenses, in the event IV terminates you shortly after they move you/your family out to the northwest corner of the country. This is a profound risk one assumes with joining this organization; be prepared and negotiate accordingly so you are compensated for such risk.

Given the highly mercurial nature of the organization, and wildly shifting priorities, it is imperative for one to protect one's self/family for such downside.

Licensing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Intellectual Ventures in December 2010.

Applied online and was contacted by an internal recruiter. Interviewed twice with the recruiter going over standard background and interest questions, then came into the office for an in-person loop. Recruiter never was on-time for the calls, most times I wouldn't hear from her until at least an hour after the initial time we had set-up (we are in the same time zone, so that's not an issue). Interview with the hiring manager and team went well, standard questions. Referred for another position that was a better fit, interviewed with that hiring manager stating that they would get back to me after the new year to schedule next steps. Never heard anything from anyone at the company, not even a reply by the recruiter to my email asking for an update on the process. Overall very unprofessional in how they handle the recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about valuing a patent in the mobile industry?   Answer Question