InterContinental Hotels Group

3.3

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Brand Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Applied for position about 3-4 months before being contacted by an HR representative via e-mail for a phone interview with the hiring manager. Phone interview took place several days later and took about an hour. Was provided a detailed overview of the company, an explanation of the role and a reminder of the pay. Was asked a number of behavioral interview-style questions and then offered the opportunity to ask questions, too. Was told my answers would be "scored," and I would move on to phase II if I "passed." I made it to phase II, which was an e-mailed assessment, consisting of real-life work scenarios and projects; I had to propose strategies, tactics and solutions and make recommendations. My 16-page detailed document did not "score" high enough to move on to phase III. Details were not provided on what was not satisfactory.

Interview Questions
    • Which words would others use to describe you when you're at your worst?   Answer Question

Brand Service Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in September 2013.

Applied for a position with IHG Atlanta. This position was for a consultant for the region in which I live. The consultant has 50 plus hotels that they work with the hotel regarding performance issues. Applied for the position online and received a response via email on a Saturday which stated that I would need to reply by noon on Sunday in order to be considered. On Monday, there was a 15 minute telephone interview. After the 15 minute interview then you are asked to answer questions in written form. The questions are vague and the information given may not be something you would know unless you already work for the company.

Interview Questions
    • The two questions consisted of one concerning how would you come to an agreement and the second was how would one schedule their daily work and travel. As an HR professional and one that has been in business for many years they are really no brainers.   View Answer

Software Architect (Atlanta, GA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in October 2012.

This position is for Atlanta, GA. Initially I was told that I am gonna have a phone screen then followed by test and face to face onsite. Then later on they skipped the phone screen asked me to come on site to take the test.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Design a ZOO using coding best practices and object oriented design principles
      The requirement went like this
      -Zoo can have different type of animals like Tiger, Bear and Monkey
      -They all eat food, like Grain, meat etc
      -They sleep, play and eat
      -They keep track of their energy level
      -They keep track of number of species produced
      -when they play they loos energy level like -8 points or something
      -when they eat they gain
      -when they speak by default they say "Grr", and some animals say differently
      -they all need to know what type of food they are eating
      -some animals are trainable, bear is trainable
      -when they are trainable they can dance
      -when the bear dance it says "I'm Dancing"

Answer Question

Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in June 2012.

Panel Interview...generally you recieve a project or work assignment to complete and present to 4 to 5 IHG managers.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the time of unemployment from prior job.   View Answer
    Some back and forth but generally they are low on the salary scale with little movement in negotiations.

Applications Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took a dayinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in May 2012.

This was an awesome opportunity, two of the seniors from the project team interviewed me and the interview went quite well.

Interview Questions
    • What's process do you follow leading up to launch?   Answer Question
    • How would you reach out to the DBA team which is located off-site?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in March 2012.

Met with the hiring manager and the peers in the first on-site interview. Was then requested to complete an assignment and met with the VP and another director in the final interview.
    The HR was nice to inform promptly another candidate was chosen.

Strategy Group Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in October 2010.

the first round was a behavioral interview with the recruiter- generic personality and fit questions. Second round was a case interview with a senior manager from the team. He sent across excel data and slides and gave me 15 min to review the data and present my findings. The case was related to IHG's businesses and I was supposed to present recommendations regarding future expansion based on the data provided.
    Third round interview was a full day of 1x1s in atlanta with the strategy team and people outside the strategy team. There was heavy emphasis on why the hospitality sector and more business case questions

Interview Questions
    • what are some of the issues hotel managers need to consider before becoming a franchise hotel of IHG?   Answer Question
    • how do intermediary companies such as hotwire impact IHG's business?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in August 2010.

I had an interview with someone in HR who asked the basic HR type questions about why you're looking for a new job etc. I got called in for a face to face.

I met first with the social media manager and this was one of the worst interviews EVER. He was strictly by the book asking me questions that literally came from a sheet HR gave him and they were those questions that have no real answers like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "what are your strengths?" I thought this was VERY odd for a position that is supposed to think outside the box. It was AWFUL.

Then I met with his boss who is VP of global marketing. That interview went fine. It was more casual and we actually talked about social.

Then I met with someone who is in the marketing group but not social at all. Her role (in fact she told me this) was to gauge how she thought I would fit in with the group.

I don't do well with the where do you see yourself in 5 years kind of questions and thought that overall, it was a lame thing to do for a social job.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in August 2010.

There were three days of interviews with two one on one interviews and two panel interviews along with a lunch with the hiring manager. There was a lot of interest in hospitality experience and making sure personalities were a match between the team and myself.

Interview Questions
    • Have you worked with outdated systems in the past?   Answer Question
    • Do you bring any international experiience to this project?   Answer Question

User Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in May 2010.

I responded to an online posting for the manager position. Within 24 hours I received an e-mail indicating that I had been rejected. I was surprised, as I believed I was a great fit for the role and expected at least a phone interview. This was just the beginning of an arduous and disorganized process.

Over the next few days I contacted some acquaintances who worked there and was assured that I had not been rejected; the hiring manager told them I was still on the consideration list. 3.5 weeks after my application I was contacted by HR, who told me they had rejected me out of hand by accident as they "get so many poor applications".

A phone interview was set-up for the next day with HR; it went well from my perspective. There were very specific questions related to the job, including:
    - asked how I heard about role
    - asked why it appealed to me
    - walked thru my career
    - asked how I supported my team
    - wanted perspective on being agency-like, taking big ideas and making them actionable
    - asked about a specific previous role for me and how I got into User Experience

We also discussed compensation structure (raises, reviews), benefits:
      - target bonus of 15% based on personal and company performance
      - raises: annual merit reviews, key performance objectives, mid-year review, self-assessment at year end, beginning of year meet with manager for performance rating (1-5 scale; 3 is an "A"/meeting expectations/good thing). Manager will reach out to other team members for feedback.
      - after bonus (paid in March), then there's a merit review (April)
      - band structure: salary range for position, but not necessarily for band
      - eligible for all benefits (medical/dental/flex), paid time off (vacation, personal days, holiday), employee discount, 401K (matched up to 6%). Health & Medical after 3 months; 401K after 6 months.
      (NOTE: was surprised that health benefits didn't kick in for 3 months; was told this was due to frequent turnover in hotel properties and the need to maintain equitability across the org.)

I was led to believe it had been a positive interview, but that the hiring manager had several other candidates to consider. HR would pass on my info and the hiring manager would decide next steps.

I waited a few weeks to hear something, but never did. I finally contacted HR a month after the interview; they called back to tell me the position had been filled and they apologized for not getting back to me sooner.

One month after that--a full 8 weeks after the phone interview--I received an e-mail again telling me that the position had been filled.

Overall the process was a little confusing and frustrating--communication was definitely not as crisp as I would've expected.

Interview Questions
    • How do you support your team?   View Answer
    • How do you work in an agency-like atmosphere, taking big ideas and ...? (Or something like that...was a bit confusing what the question actually was. I gathered they were trying to determine how best to prioritize and act upon internal initiatives in a strategic manner.)   View Answer