InterContinental Hotels Group

Updated Dec 4, 2014
Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.7

Catering Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Informal interview, hiring manager never responded to follow up emails or phone calls, when promised interviewee that he would.

Reservations Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group.

Very Clear Process.

Interview Questions
    • Profile tests were difficult because they seemed backwards. There was a clear purpose, but it was unusual.   Answer Question

Manager, Procurement Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in April 2013.

The interview process was relatively short. The HR Recruiter emailed me to set up a time for me to come in and meet with the hiring manager and one of his partners. I then had a panel interview with the hiring manager, the colleague and the HR Recruiter. Questions were expected given the job description. After the initial round, the hiring manager asked to talk to me on the phone regarding two further questions. Upon going through that stage, the hiring manager decided to rescope the position

Interview Questions
    • The questions were expected given the job description.   Answer Question

Human Resource Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Leonard Wood, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Leonard Wood, MO

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in April 2013.

Panel interview with General Manager and two other Assistant Managers. The on-line application was easy. A phone call set up the interview. Prior to the interview the panel did not review the application well. When I explained my availability date, that was the deal breaker. The application had my availability date on it, so that should have eliminated me from consideration based on the timeline to start they wanted.

Interview Questions
    • Is there a difference between being a leader and being a manager?   Answer Question

Director of Catering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in March 2013.

Initial interview was by phone and was cordial. It lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of questions related to my experience and attitude.

The second interview was in person, over lunch. The interviewer seemed awkward and failed to ask many questions. It was up to me to try and engage the interviewer by asking specific questions. Clearly, the interviewer was not a "numbers person" based on the unlikely answers I received. The interview was followed by a property tour and meeting with the General Manager.

The interview with the GM lasted only about 10 minutes and consisted of very general questions about my experience.

The final interview was with the HR person and was very general in nature.

Interview Questions
    • I was surprised that neither the GM nor the initial interviewer asked any difficult questions. I expected questions related to specific marketing strategies I had successfully employed in the past or specific questions related to sales performance.   Answer Question

Executive Chef Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in January 2013.

Started with an hour long phone interview with Sandoval Corporation. Followed by a flight to miami for a one stay to interview with five executives. The executives were the GM of the hotel, Hotel Manager, F&B director, Director of Human Resources, Executive Chef of Hotel. The connection with the executive commitee was just perfect. We have the same goal initiative, personality, passion, and desire to run a successful business.

It was very involved with business incentives based on sales and cost goals.

Assistant Gm Hotel Interview

I applied online – interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in January 2013.

Very smooth and educational process. I was kept informed over the entire process. Process was timed just right. Everyone I came in contact with was great. Traveling to the corporate office was impressive.

Past Experience

Food and Beverage Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in November 2012.

Great Experience...Met with 2 members of F/B team. Called back to meet with director. Very nice people, decent interview, but felt I was not the candidate they were looking for, gut feeling. No follow up from IHG, which was disappointing. Even though you feel like you did not get the job, the closure is always nice. Would have loved the offer, IHG seems like a great company to work for.

Software Architect (Atlanta, GA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in October 2012.

This position is for Atlanta, GA. Initially I was told that I am gonna have a phone screen then followed by test and face to face onsite. Then later on they skipped the phone screen asked me to come on site to take the test.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Design a ZOO using coding best practices and object oriented design principles
      The requirement went like this
      -Zoo can have different type of animals like Tiger, Bear and Monkey
      -They all eat food, like Grain, meat etc
      -They sleep, play and eat
      -They keep track of their energy level
      -They keep track of number of species produced
      -when they play they loos energy level like -8 points or something
      -when they eat they gain
      -when they speak by default they say "Grr", and some animals say differently
      -they all need to know what type of food they are eating
      -some animals are trainable, bear is trainable
      -when they are trainable they can dance
      -when the bear dance it says "I'm Dancing"

Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at InterContinental Hotels Group in July 2012.

You will meet with the owner several times then meet with the General Manager
    It takes several interviews before you will get an answer

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle upset guests
      Are you willing to work long hours after the normal 10 hours
      Make 30 cold calls a day

Answer Question
    Its different for anyone depending on experience. You need to stand your ground and know your worth. He will want to pay very little money.