InterContinental Hotels

Relevance Date Difficulty

Reservations Sales Agent Interview

Reservations Sales Agent
North Charleston, SC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in March 2012.

Interview Details – It was very easy. Went in and was immediately put on a computer for a skills test, and then sat for about 45 minutes waiting for HR manager. Then went in and interviewed with her, and then she put me back on the computer for a Reservation Simulations skills test. Then, she gave me a tour of the facility. Then, finally, asked to come back for second interview with TM.

Interview Question – Describe to me a time when you had to multi- task?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really negotiable. $10/hr to start for 5wks of training and then $11 - 13.50/hr after training.

Very Easy Interview

Reservations Sales Agent Interview

Reservations Sales Agent
North Charleston, SC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in February 2012.

Interview Details – When you first arrive, you are required to take an assessment test on the computer. If that scores well, then you have a one on one interview with an HR manager. If that goes well, then you are back on the computer for a reservations simulation. Of course, if that goes well, they schedule you for a follow up interview with another manager the next day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to deal with a difficult guest/customer?   View Answer
  • Explain what extraordinary customer service means to you.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Everything went very well in the interview.

Very Easy Interview

Guest Services Representative Interview

Guest Services Representative
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was a very well-handled interview. The general manager was very nice and offered me the job right then. Of course, I did have to go through a background check and drug test. Not a problem at all. Smooth sailing.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to break the rules in order to make the guest happy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just ask for what you think you are worth.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in August 2010.

Interview Details – There were three days of interviews with two one on one interviews and two panel interviews along with a lunch with the hiring manager. There was a lot of interest in hospitality experience and making sure personalities were a match between the team and myself.

Front Desk Agent Interview

Front Desk Agent
Chandler, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in November 2009.

Interview Details – 1 interview with the Front Desk Manager followed by an interview with the Rooms Division Manager. They did a background check, drug test, and group orientation. The employer wanted to know about my education background as well as background in working in face-to-face customer service.

Interview Question – Without having any hotel experience, why would you choose a Crowne Plaza hotel as opposed to a Mariott?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was little room to negotiate - there was room to gain an extra dollar per hour with experience and the right personality which would fit the present personnel.

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had an interview with someone in HR who asked the basic HR type questions about why you're looking for a new job etc. I got called in for a face to face.

I met first with the social media manager and this was one of the worst interviews EVER. He was strictly by the book asking me questions that literally came from a sheet HR gave him and they were those questions that have no real answers like "where do you see yourself in 5 years", "what are your strengths?" I thought this was VERY odd for a position that is supposed to think outside the box. It was AWFUL.

Then I met with his boss who is VP of global marketing. That interview went fine. It was more casual and we actually talked about social.

Then I met with someone who is in the marketing group but not social at all. Her role (in fact she told me this) was to gauge how she thought I would fit in with the group.

I don't do well with the where do you see yourself in 5 years kind of questions and thought that overall, it was a lame thing to do for a social job.

Front Desk Associate Interview

Front Desk Associate
Warwick, RI

The process took 1 week - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in February 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application about a month before I got a call back from the hiring manager asking me to come in for an interview. She was very friendly and kept apologizing if she was repeating herself because she had been interviewing all day. She asked typical questions such as describe a situation where you had an irate customer and how you handled it. She also asked what I had done at my previous jobs. She told me everything the hotel has to offer and what I would be doing during a normal shift and she also explained training, hours, dress code, pay, and benefits. She was very understanding that I was a student and in the Fall I would have to lessen my hours. After a little but more conversation she ended by telling me I would get an email or a phone call 3 days later whether I was hired or not.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with an irate customer   Answer Question

Restaurant Manager Interview

Restaurant Manager
Kalamazoo, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in May 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process was extremely lengthy, almost to the point of being unenthical. I had to go through 4 phone interviews that were almost exactly alike as well as an online test. And then received no offer. It was really just a huge pain and I was definitely qualified for the position.

Sales/Marketing Internship Interview

Sales/Marketing Internship
Coraopolis, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in August 2008.

Interview Details – Fairly simple interview process. Sat down with General Manager and basically had a conversation about what I was looking for and what the hotel was looking for. It was very comfortable and informative, and gave a great inside look at what the hotel's working culture was all about. I was offered the position by the end of our conversation, pending the results of a drug test and background check. I started working within about a week of my interview.

Interview Question – How do you see yourself making an impact at the hotel?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was a student, so there was not much negotiation. It was a paid internship though, so getting both hourly pay and school credit was great.

Strategy Group Manager Interview

Strategy Group Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in October 2010.

Interview Details – the first round was a behavioral interview with the recruiter- generic personality and fit questions. Second round was a case interview with a senior manager from the team. He sent across excel data and slides and gave me 15 min to review the data and present my findings. The case was related to IHG's businesses and I was supposed to present recommendations regarding future expansion based on the data provided.
Third round interview was a full day of 1x1s in atlanta with the strategy team and people outside the strategy team. There was heavy emphasis on why the hospitality sector and more business case questions

Interview Questions

• what are some of the issues hotel managers need to consider before becoming a franchise hotel of IHG?   Answer Question
  • how do intermediary companies such as hotwire impact IHG's business?   Answer Question