InterContinental Hotels Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Night Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in August 2009.

The hiring process was rather standard. Called in for an interview with one manager and second interview was set up with the other manager. Interview questions were fairly standard. No trick or unusual questions. It may be different now as there is a different general manager. Essentially be professional, be relaxed, and be yourself.

Interview Questions
    • The standard question regarding how you handled a situation in which something went wrong at work.   View Answer
    • What have you done (or would you do if it has not yet happened) if your cash drawer was not balanced.   View Answer
    Negotiation process is poor. I was told the position I applied for had a cap on the pay-rate.

User Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in May 2010.

I responded to an online posting for the manager position. Within 24 hours I received an e-mail indicating that I had been rejected. I was surprised, as I believed I was a great fit for the role and expected at least a phone interview. This was just the beginning of an arduous and disorganized process.

Over the next few days I contacted some acquaintances who worked there and was assured that I had not been rejected; the hiring manager told them I was still on the consideration list. 3.5 weeks after my application I was contacted by HR, who told me they had rejected me out of hand by accident as they "get so many poor applications".

A phone interview was set-up for the next day with HR; it went well from my perspective. There were very specific questions related to the job, including:
    - asked how I heard about role
    - asked why it appealed to me
    - walked thru my career
    - asked how I supported my team
    - wanted perspective on being agency-like, taking big ideas and making them actionable
    - asked about a specific previous role for me and how I got into User Experience

We also discussed compensation structure (raises, reviews), benefits:
      - target bonus of 15% based on personal and company performance
      - raises: annual merit reviews, key performance objectives, mid-year review, self-assessment at year end, beginning of year meet with manager for performance rating (1-5 scale; 3 is an "A"/meeting expectations/good thing). Manager will reach out to other team members for feedback.
      - after bonus (paid in March), then there's a merit review (April)
      - band structure: salary range for position, but not necessarily for band
      - eligible for all benefits (medical/dental/flex), paid time off (vacation, personal days, holiday), employee discount, 401K (matched up to 6%). Health & Medical after 3 months; 401K after 6 months.
      (NOTE: was surprised that health benefits didn't kick in for 3 months; was told this was due to frequent turnover in hotel properties and the need to maintain equitability across the org.)

I was led to believe it had been a positive interview, but that the hiring manager had several other candidates to consider. HR would pass on my info and the hiring manager would decide next steps.

I waited a few weeks to hear something, but never did. I finally contacted HR a month after the interview; they called back to tell me the position had been filled and they apologized for not getting back to me sooner.

One month after that--a full 8 weeks after the phone interview--I received an e-mail again telling me that the position had been filled.

Overall the process was a little confusing and frustrating--communication was definitely not as crisp as I would've expected.

Interview Questions
    • How do you support your team?   View Answer
    • How do you work in an agency-like atmosphere, taking big ideas and ...? (Or something like that...was a bit confusing what the question actually was. I gathered they were trying to determine how best to prioritize and act upon internal initiatives in a strategic manner.)   View Answer

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in May 2010.

IHG is a terrific organization with a strong worldwide brand and nice employees.

However, their compensation is absolutely horrible.

For a role which infers former experience in a large consulting firm, IHG is willing to pay nearly ONE HALF of what these firms offer ($75,000 vs. $140,000).

As this company undergoes transformation from "old guard" to "new blood," they will have a hard time finding the best quality (qualifiied) individuals who are willing to work for a pittance.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time in which you performed NPV- and IRR-based valuations   Answer Question
    • What is your current compensation?   Answer Question
    • What is your experience with the hospitality industry?   View Answer

Group Reservations Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in December 2009.

It was a quick interview where I met several hiring managers.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dundee, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dundee, MI

The process took a day - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in May 2008.

Was interviewed in a matter of 30 minutes, immediately afterwards I was offered the job. The company experiences very high turnover (likely because of their poor treatment of employees) and therefore hires frequently.

Actually witnessed a fight between a supervisor and manager during my interview; should have known then.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you have been outgoing in the past. How can you contribute to the experience of the guests?   Answer Question
    I didn't not attempt to negotiate. I was expected to take the offer or reject it!

Front Desk Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in February 2010.

A friend recommended me. Interview process short and sweet and to the point. Offered me a job the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want this job?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you'd be good for this job? Do you mind working nights and weekends? Are you flexible with the schedule?   Answer Question

Webmaster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in September 2009.

Interview went well. Hiring manager was very interactive and open about the situation for which they were hiring. Manager was looking for an applicant with a particular history for the position and has yet to have found it. They've since hired from within the organization and changed the requirements of the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you qualified for this opportunity and how does that meet the requirements for which I'm looking.   Answer Question

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in April 2009.

Saw add on HCareers, applied online via company site, was phoned by Recruiter at company. Had initial phone screen and was then scheduled in for initial interview with hiring manager. This was a first round interview and did not make it any further. Was told other candidates were better qualified

Interview Questions
    • Name a brand that makes an emotional connection (excluding Apple) and explain who and how this occurs.   Answer Question

Front Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at InterContinental Hotels in January 2008.

Was great; I was eassy going, clear , specifiq and I gave the Company my imput why I should be hire. (To improve customer service, team work and communication, to improve hotel revenue and make the guests to come back).

Yes. Be open always.

First classic interview with motivational questions and questions from the cv + psychometric test composed of numerical, text comprehension and logical elements + competency based questions interview + assessment centre (role play, group role play, written case study, presentation of case study solution, interview)