InterSystems

Updated Dec 18, 2014
Updated Dec 18, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at InterSystems.

First a behavioral phone interview with a member of HR. Had to take 2 technical tests, one a programming aptitude test and the other an SAT type test. Then one more phone interview with department managers.

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at InterSystems.

3 Online Tests: First was a personality test where you have to choose words that you think describe you and also how friends would describe you. Second one was a technical test to see how fast you can learn a new logic system. If you pass the technical test then they give you a math/reading comprehension test to see how fast you can look at data and correctly interpret its meaning. Then a friendly HR phone interview mostly to give the interviewee information on the company.

Interview Questions
    • There were questions about data tables that just wouldn't (read, shouldn't) be accepted at any company as a viable option to show information. It was hard to find where things were, and even though I did well given the short time I was expected to complete it in, it was very annoying.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Very rigorous and deliberate process. Spoke/met with multiple people over a number of weeks. All candidates are required to take online personality assessment and IQ-type test before they will start the interview process.
    The IQ testing covers analysis of data (here's a table, answer multiple choice questions based on the data, in some cases the correct answer is that you can't get there from here) and reading comprehension/inference (here are some statements, what can be concluded or inferred)... really nothing you can prep for. You need to score above a threshold on the IQ testing to be considered.
    They also make a big deal of what the personality testing says about you. Of course you can game the system to a certain extent if you know what they're looking for.
    Some interviews were very conversational and two-way, others were very direct and probing.
    I decided the job and company were not a fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • What colleges did you apply to and why?   View Answer

Quality Development Engineer Interview

They will send you three online test. You can chose the language of the test.

First one is pretty simple, you only need to chose some words which you think they can describe yourself, like optimism, etc.
    Second one is like GRE test. It will give you a paragraph and a related question. However, it is quite confuse. In the paragraph, there is always some world like maybe, may, and in the question, the options are like not exactly right, not exactly wrong. It is very hard to chose. (since I didn't take it in English, I am not sure if it caused by the translation.)
    Third one needs some programming knowledge. In the test, it will give you a pseudo program language. You need to read how the language defined and a piece of code written in this language, then chose the result of the code. I don't think it is very hard, but still, some of the definitions are not that clear.

Hope it will be helpful

Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at InterSystems in September 2014.

I applied online, I think it took about 2 week, the recruiter send me the link about three kind of tests,First one is like some programming tests, it's easy and I think my score is good enough. The second one is like the personal's characteristic survey, just click as you want. And I think I failed on the third one, I think it's ambiguous for me. I didn't get the chance to the next around. Hoping this information will help you to get to the next around.

Support Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at InterSystems in August 2014.

I applied on their website and was contacted by their recruiter within a few days. I had a short phone interview with the recruiter. He asked why I was looking for a new job, and asked a question about my resume. Then he gave a brief overview of the company/products. After this, he emailed me links to three online tests: Personality, Cognitive Skills, and Programming. The programming test presented a made-up language very similar to Meditech Magic or MUMPS. Do the questions in order, since each builds on the previous questions. After passing the tests I had one interview on-site, then I was asked back for a block of 4 1-hour interviews with different people. The interviewers were all very nice, and for the most part it just felt like casual conversations where I explained what I was looking for, and learned about the position. Only one interviewer really put me on the spot with tough questions. Nobody mentioned the personality test. I got the impression that they were looking for 1) technical/problem solving ability 2) good communication skills.

Up to this point the process was moving quickly; now it slowed down. I was asked for references, then I heard that they wanted to make an offer but had to get approvals. This took a few weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Go up to the whiteboard and give a 5-min presentation on a technical subject of your choice.   Answer Question
    They asked for my salary requirements and they were OK with the amount I gave, so there was no negotiation.Their compensation is a bit unusual. There is a base salary, then on top of that there is a fixed yearly bonus. Based on your performance review score, you get different percentages of the bonus... almost like a commission.

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at InterSystems.

They make you jump through all kinds of hoops to get hired. there are at least 2 tests and multiple intervies

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Intersystems and have no personal life because you will be working 18 hours a day?   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at InterSystems in May 2014.

InterSystems is very interesting. They ask you to come onsite to do a few tests before considering you. I went there to do two tests. The first test is a programming test. No previous knowledge is assumed. The test specifies a programming language and then you interpret the given programs and select the results from a few given choices. This part is very interesting because you have to be careful about certain issues, such as types, type coercion, and operator precedence. Overall it is straightforward is you can think like a computer. And I can see a few cases are under-specified: if we run the question through a computer we will get undefined behavior.

The second test is very much like GRE logic/reading test. The bad thing, however, is that there are answers like "likely" and "very likely" which is very very confusing to distinguish.

I passed the two tests but they never followed up with me. No reason was given, I guess they do not have specific interests in my experience.

Intern Interview

online tests on a virtual programming language

Interview Questions
    • virtual language, need to pay attention to the details of using it.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

They will sell you a bill of goods and nothing is what it seems when you are actually hired

Interview Questions
    • The the person in charge is difficult to work for.   View Answer
    They threw more money at me so that I would just take the job and not ask too many other questions - unfortunate that I fell for it and lasted a very short time.