Interactive Intelligence

3.1

57 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager, Storage and Database Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in December 2014.

Process is pretty standard. Apply to job -> HR phone interview -> manager phone interview -> onsite individual interviews with HR, peer managers and VP.

I was happy with the conversations I had with the various people. Very low pressure and conversational. However, there were several significant negatives to the position:

1. Initial onsite interviewer was 15 minutes late. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred a simple apology.
    2. Main HR person was unavailable for a family emergency and the replacement person did not seem to be very helpful. I had already read the HR document sent to me and felt he was unable to add anything that wasn't in that document.
    3. One of the interviewers never showed up. A peer manager ended his session and said he was going to go get the next person. I ended up waiting in a conference room for 30 minutes by myself. Eventually, I called the gentleman in #1 above and told him about my situation and he said he would take care of it. Again, he never apologized. After about 20 minutes, I seriously considered getting up and leaving, however, at the time, I was very interested in working for Interactive Intelligence.
    4. Every person I talked to mentioned repeatedly about how many hours they worked. While it was stated they were doing this to let me know what was expected, it felt like it was a series of "one-upmanships." Since I am not interested in playing that game, it is probably best I didn't get offered the position.

Overall, I felt deflated leaving the interviews as it felt like many of the participants felt their time was more valuable than mine.

Interview Questions
    • Paraphrase: Since your perspective employees will have more knowledge in the given area than you will, how will you gain credibility with them?   View Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in October 2014.

Applied online, contacted by HR for a phone interview but after the hiring manager reviewed my resume they wanted to bring me in right away.

First interview was with the managers and seemed to go well. It was relaxed and I felt very positive about it. Next portion was technical with three engineers. Most of their questions were academic or arcane and certainly not something that I deal with regularly with my experience in the industry. Moreover, it was very tense. No smiling, no small talk, rather uncomfortable. Final interview was with a woman from the project office. She was evaluating me on personality. That seemed to go OK.

The interview was in a conference room and it was on the warm side since I was the only one in a suit. I wasn't offered anything to drink when we started and after two and a half hours my mouth was so dry I could barely speak. Before the last interview I asked to get a drink and walked out to the water fountain for a drink.

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in September 2014.

I applied for the job and interviewed by phone one week after submitting my application. Communications were transparent, friendly, and professional. I was contacted about an on-site interview in the afternoon of the day of my phone interview for the following week. Everything moved so quickly. I received an itinerary on Monday and then an updated itinerary on Wednesday. I showed up for my interview on Friday, but quickly found out there had been a communication error and the interview was canceled. They were putting the position on hold. I had taken a day off work for the interview. They were apologetic for the lack of communication. I was contacted two weeks after that and invited for another interview. The position was now open again. I interviewed a week after initial contact. I interviewed with five people, broken down into smaller groups. The interview was a total of two hours and kicked off with a tour of the facility. The questions were simple and very conversational. One group of interviewers kept emphasizing how I shouldn't expect to be promoted within a short amount of time (18-24 months). I felt warned away from the position and discouraged about their commitment to employee development, especially with the frequency with which it was mentioned. While the other interviewers were phenomenal, the two people who interviewed me and kept re-iterating the stationary nature of the position. The atmosphere of the interview and culture was fun and casual. I found out their final decision a week and a half after the interview. I was sent a generic email thanking me for my application and that they had declined to consider me for the position. It felt cold, impersonal, and failed to even address the fact that I interviewed. It was sent by someone I had never met. My expectations for this company were high given their reputation, but I was disappointed by my experience.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were relevant and simple to answer.   Answer Question

Lead Generation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in September 2014.

Applied through the internet. Received a call back from a HR lady who was very rude. She cut me off 5 times when answering her questions on the phone and was very rude. Didn't laugh at all or show any emotion. Not trying to personally attack her but just describing exactly how the phone call went. She literally only gave me 1 minute of her precious time. She also does not respond to any emails you will send her. Also...do not message her on linkedin to introduce yourself. She didn't respond back to that either. I believe for some reason that offended her.

Some companies are a little rude on purpose to see how you will handle it. Especially if the position requires you to interact with rude people on the phone. I think this tactic is unprofessional though. Just look at my experience on my resume. No need to do that.

I will say this... she did connect me with the lady who gave me the phone interview and she was extremely nice. For that I was thankful.

Interview Questions
    • Hardest part is that you interview with 4 different people at different times and they all ask the same questions. They even apologize for this in advance. (at this point..I'm thinking great...already sounds very corporate) Very boring and redundant. You could tell they didn't even want to ask the questions. Only one person I interviewed with (the youngest) seemed interested and at least acted excited about her job. The person who gave me the company tour was also very cool. All the others were nice but seemed very stressed out and tired. One complained of working 80 hours a week. Made me want to leave asap.

I'm thinking it would be much easier on everyone involved if all 4 people would have interviewed me at the same time. Would be quicker, more "interactive" (pun intended), intelligent (another pun), and just more fun and engaging.

They will send you a form to fill out before interviewing. One question is "salary of past job". I think this is a rude question and is a "want" vs a "need" question. Companies who employ this tactic do this so they can hire you for the least amount possible. You have every right to not answer this question. If they like you and think you are a good fit they should hire you on that alone.

No hard questions. All pertained to the job.

Was promised to see the inside of the lead generation office but they forgot.

Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in September 2014.

8 phone interviews, one on site interview- the people I spoke with were all senior level executives in different departments, I did not feel like they felt like my role was of value to them, therefore why should they be talking to me. I felt like some of them were feeling forced to speak to me.

Interview Questions
    • What makes me more qualified than others for the position   View Answer
    • Why do I feel the job I would be doing would help their company?   View Answer
    • Why do you feel this role is important to the company?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Contacted by in house recruiter. Pleasant process, set up for a couple possible interviews. One position fell through because of the merger. Another position was available. Interviewed with two groups of engineers. Pleasant 20-40 white males all. ( This says a lot about the diversity that is non existent in IT). Some talked and asked questions, others sat.
    Company really needs Javascript developers. Some questions were really not in the realm of what you would be expected to do, basically unrelated to the job. They were good questions for homework in Comp Science class.

Channel Sales Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Phone Interview with HR first, then with previous intern, then with manager, then I came in for a face to face on site interview. Had lunch, given a tour, and then gave a presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Asked to give a presentation with no other direction   View Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Recruiters need to work on communication. Numerous calls and emails went unanswered in the process with the occasional teaser that I was still being considered. People who invest a half day of time to come down at least deserve feedback. Hiring manager was on iPad the entire time. Scheduler gave me and phone interviewers different interviews times. Another phone interview had to be rescheduled 4 times. Most of the questions from all the interviewers where about reasons for leaving current job vs. qualifications for the open position.

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in April 2014.

There was a pre screen phone call. Followed up by a Technical Screening. THe a gauntlet of interviews started with a tour. Three Technical interviews and a personality interview.

Interview Questions
    • I had Difficulty with the Troubleshooting part of the interview because I was under prepared my current/past position(s) did not use the technology or methods they were looking for.   View Answer

Talent Acquisition Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in March 2014.

The entire interview process ran smoothly and very professional. Received email confirmation for the interview, with enlightening information about the company included. Day of my interview, I was given a tour of the site and amenities provided for all employees at the Indianapolis headquarters. The interviewers were friendly, engaging and asked very interesting questions specific to my role.