Interactive Intelligence Interview Questions in Indianapolis, IN

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.2

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Phone interview with HR representative. Phone interview with hiring manager. Face-to-face interviews with 5 different people within the organization on-site during a single day. Then offer was provided about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• What question did you expect me to ask that I didn't ask?   1 Answer

Telephony Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

I was interviewed by multiple people. The process involved going door to door with six different people for a half hour each. This took up to about three hours. There was other stuff in which I was asked specific questions about programming and it even included a brain bench test and I forget if lunch was involved.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

Had a quick discussion with a hiring manager and a week later had a phone interview with a team lead. They said it was an interview with a hiring manager but it actually ended up being fairly technical. He asked a lot of questions about object oriented design and general programming concepts. From there they scheduled two back to back onsite interviews with two different teams. Both positions were for JavaScript and the questions covered specific JavaScript topics, programming exercises, and system design. Each interview was with 3 to 4 people and was fairly challenging. They offered a position that evening and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in a string and returns a letter that occurs most frequently. if there is a tie, return a letter that occurs first in the string.   Answer Question
    • take the values stored in two input fields in a form. When a button is clicked, increment one of the values every 100 ms until it is twice the other value.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I let them know that I had another offer on the table and they were able to match it.

Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

Discovered the position via an Internet job board. Applied. Approximately one week later I received a call from a Human Resource person; she was very friendly. Had about a 20 minute phone screen (would have been longer but reception was bad). She said she wanted to schedule a meeting with the hiring manager for a phone screen which was setup for about 3 days later on a Friday. Friday came and I was very impressed with the relaxed/genuine demeanor of the manager and the comfort level was immediate. From this conversation, he wanted to bring me onsite. I agreed - and the HR person called me about 3 days later to schedule it for the next week. It was a panel interview; 2 folks from disparate groups, then 3 folks for the technical piece and then the hiring manager. Total time was about 4 hours, including a tour and lunch served in the same room as the interviews. Very nice touch. The first 2 folks were more behavioral but did ask a few questions related to potential technical difficulties they were currently experiencing and how I would approach them. The 3 technical folks were friendly but more reserved. They did respond to my attempts at humor in a positive way. The questions were technical but more on the 'how would you do this' and 'please sketch it out' as far as processes I helped design elsewhere. This was all verbal though. The hiring manager spoke with me for an hour; took me on a tour, sat in his office etc. Confirmed my initial impression of positive environment. Lastly had to do a 30 minute call with the Director; also a professional but down to earth person. All in all, it was grueling in the sense that it was a long interview day, but the refreshments helped take the edge off and I enjoyed the process. The HR person was phenomenal. Very caring, humorous, friendly.

Interview Questions

• Explain a process you've implemented elsewhere.   1 Answer

Implementation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. Initial phone screen from HR, then a short phone interview about a week later, with an on-site interview scheduled a few weeks later. The phone interview was technical but pretty basic. Topics included providing brief definitions of TCP, UDP, SIP, etc. The on-site interview was broken down into three interviews. The first was essentially a recap of the phone interview and some scenario based questions. The second was an in depth technical one and the third was a managerial interview. The on-site technical interview was pretty involved. They have a sheet with them that I think has the questions they ask, but I felt like they deviated from it to dive deeper in the topics being discussed. That shows that they themselves have a decent understanding of what is being asked of you. That part of the interview was fairly challenging as they were asking a lot of questions looking for very specific technical answers that I don't think very many people would know without looking at some sort of documentation. I think the point was just to make sure you didn't BS them and could at least state if you were unsure about a certain topic. The managerial interview was pretty relaxed compared to the technical one. The interviewers were personable and polite and it was easy to talk to them.

Manager, Storage and Database Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

Process is pretty standard. Apply to job -> HR phone interview -> manager phone interview -> onsite individual interviews with HR, peer managers and VP. I was happy with the conversations I had with the various people. Very low pressure and conversational. However, there were several significant negatives to the position: 1. Initial onsite interviewer was 15 minutes late. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred a simple apology. 2. Main HR person was unavailable for a family emergency and the replacement person did not seem to be very helpful. I had already read the HR document sent to me and felt he was unable to add anything that wasn't in that document. 3. One of the interviewers never showed up. A peer manager ended his session and said he was going to go get the next person. I ended up waiting in a conference room for 30 minutes by myself. Eventually, I called the gentleman in #1 above and told him about my situation and he said he would take care of it. Again, he never apologized. After about 20 minutes, I seriously considered getting up and leaving, however, at the time, I was very interested in working for Interactive Intelligence. 4. Every person I talked to mentioned repeatedly about how many hours they worked. While it was stated they were doing this to let me know what was expected, it felt like it was a series of "one-upmanships." Since I am not interested in playing that game, it is probably best I didn't get offered the position. Overall, I felt deflated leaving the interviews as it felt like many of the participants felt their time was more valuable than mine.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrase: Since your perspective employees will have more knowledge in the given area than you will, how will you gain credibility with them?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Interview

Initial screening at a university; invited to go on-site to interview with 6 people (3 technical, 3 managerial), each for 30 minutes. This was for a Systems Engineer position, which is different from what I have now (Software Engineer). The Software Engineer position was a short 30 minute informal interview (I had been at working here for 3 years), resulting in a department change.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since I had a Masters of Science degree, I was able to negotiate several thousand dollars higher from the starting salary for people straight out of college.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by HR for a phone interview but after the hiring manager reviewed my resume they wanted to bring me in right away. First interview was with the managers and seemed to go well. It was relaxed and I felt very positive about it. Next portion was technical with three engineers. Most of their questions were academic or arcane and certainly not something that I deal with regularly with my experience in the industry. Moreover, it was very tense. No smiling, no small talk, rather uncomfortable. Final interview was with a woman from the project office. She was evaluating me on personality. That seemed to go OK. The interview was in a conference room and it was on the warm side since I was the only one in a suit. I wasn't offered anything to drink when we started and after two and a half hours my mouth was so dry I could barely speak. Before the last interview I asked to get a drink and walked out to the water fountain for a drink.

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job and interviewed by phone one week after submitting my application. Communications were transparent, friendly, and professional. I was contacted about an on-site interview in the afternoon of the day of my phone interview for the following week. Everything moved so quickly. I received an itinerary on Monday and then an updated itinerary on Wednesday. I showed up for my interview on Friday, but quickly found out there had been a communication error and the interview was canceled. They were putting the position on hold. I had taken a day off work for the interview. They were apologetic for the lack of communication. I was contacted two weeks after that and invited for another interview. The position was now open again. I interviewed a week after initial contact. I interviewed with five people, broken down into smaller groups. The interview was a total of two hours and kicked off with a tour of the facility. The questions were simple and very conversational. One group of interviewers kept emphasizing how I shouldn't expect to be promoted within a short amount of time (18-24 months). I felt warned away from the position and discouraged about their commitment to employee development, especially with the frequency with which it was mentioned. While the other interviewers were phenomenal, the two people who interviewed me and kept re-iterating the stationary nature of the position. The atmosphere of the interview and culture was fun and casual. I found out their final decision a week and a half after the interview. I was sent a generic email thanking me for my application and that they had declined to consider me for the position. It felt cold, impersonal, and failed to even address the fact that I interviewed. It was sent by someone I had never met. My expectations for this company were high given their reputation, but I was disappointed by my experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were relevant and simple to answer.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

8 phone interviews, one on site interview- the people I spoke with were all senior level executives in different departments, I did not feel like they felt like my role was of value to them, therefore why should they be talking to me. I felt like some of them were feeling forced to speak to me.

Interview Questions

• What makes me more qualified than others for the position   1 Answer
    • Why do I feel the job I would be doing would help their company?   1 Answer
    • Why do you feel this role is important to the company?   1 Answer