Interactive Intelligence Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015
Updated Apr 2, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone screen, followed by an in person interview in the RTP office. The in-person interview lasted 3 hours and ranged from general to technical in nature. The interview was split in to multiple sessions conducted by multiple interviewers.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember too many specific questions, but there was a decent amount of questions related to application architecture and even some diagramming.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't really negotiate, but in retrospect, wished that I had as I feel that my compensation is slightly lower than others with similar roles.

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

There was a phone interview first. Then there was a one-day session of five interviews. There was an HR interview, to be sure I was the person they expected. There were two interviews with hiring managers. There was an interview with a team of team/project leaders. There was a technical skills interview with the technical lead, to solve a real code problem with him watching what I did and asking why I did it that way.

Interview Questions

• Design and present a way/program to walk thru all possible tic-tac-toe games effectively, without repetition of any game state.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

I met with Interactive Intelligence at my university job fair.
    The first interview was a call with the intern program manager. This was around 45 minutes and full of behavioral questions. The purpose was to understand your experience, understand what you know about interactive intelligence, and determine if you would fit with them.

The second interview was a technical phone screen with the team leader. The phone screen consisted of simple questions from loops, basic object oriented programming concepts, and simple data structures.

The third interview was a technical onsite interview. I was able to meet and talk with the developers on the team and learn about their first hand experience on projects. The interview was split up into two parts and I met with a different team member for each. For the first half, I was given different code snippets and I had to explain what the code did and how I would refactor it. The code snippets given are written in code that you list on your resume. I was also asked several questions about team experiences and management, version control, and few behavioral questions. The second half was more technical and focused on Object Oriented programming principles. First few questions were basic such as, what is an object, difference between private and public, interface vs inheritance, when to use static, etc. After the questions, the interviewer gave me a variety of scenarios and I would have to write an implementation to solve the problem on whiteboard. After finishing the two halves, I was able to speak with the team leader. The team leader did not have any questions for me; it was more of an opportunity to directly ask him questions and learn more about the company.

Interview Questions

• Implement a catalog of students and professors. Student and Professor objects have different fields and methods. Professors can both be a Student and a Professor at the same time.   1 Answer

Automation Engineer, Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

The hiring process was very well done. It starts with a phone screen with basic question, goes on to phone interview with an engineer with behavioral questions and ends with an on site interview with 2 to 3 interviewers. All in all it was a good experience, the last interview would be the most difficult if I had to pick.

Manager, Storage and Database Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2014.

Interview

Process is pretty standard. Apply to job -> HR phone interview -> manager phone interview -> onsite individual interviews with HR, peer managers and VP.

I was happy with the conversations I had with the various people. Very low pressure and conversational. However, there were several significant negatives to the position:

1. Initial onsite interviewer was 15 minutes late. Not a big deal, but I would have preferred a simple apology.
    2. Main HR person was unavailable for a family emergency and the replacement person did not seem to be very helpful. I had already read the HR document sent to me and felt he was unable to add anything that wasn't in that document.
    3. One of the interviewers never showed up. A peer manager ended his session and said he was going to go get the next person. I ended up waiting in a conference room for 30 minutes by myself. Eventually, I called the gentleman in #1 above and told him about my situation and he said he would take care of it. Again, he never apologized. After about 20 minutes, I seriously considered getting up and leaving, however, at the time, I was very interested in working for Interactive Intelligence.
    4. Every person I talked to mentioned repeatedly about how many hours they worked. While it was stated they were doing this to let me know what was expected, it felt like it was a series of "one-upmanships." Since I am not interested in playing that game, it is probably best I didn't get offered the position.

Overall, I felt deflated leaving the interviews as it felt like many of the participants felt their time was more valuable than mine.

Interview Questions

• Paraphrase: Since your perspective employees will have more knowledge in the given area than you will, how will you gain credibility with them?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial screening at a university; invited to go on-site to interview with 6 people (3 technical, 3 managerial), each for 30 minutes. This was for a Systems Engineer position, which is different from what I have now (Software Engineer). The Software Engineer position was a short 30 minute informal interview (I had been at working here for 3 years), resulting in a department change.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since I had a Masters of Science degree, I was able to negotiate several thousand dollars higher from the starting salary for people straight out of college.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

A tough but fair interview process, I got the impression that even if I weren't a good fit for the position they were interviewing for they would have tried to find something in the organization for me.

Interview Questions

• Several rounds of on-the-spot problem solving with actual coding involved. Tough but fair.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very willing to work with me to meet my needs.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied online, contacted by HR for a phone interview but after the hiring manager reviewed my resume they wanted to bring me in right away.

First interview was with the managers and seemed to go well. It was relaxed and I felt very positive about it. Next portion was technical with three engineers. Most of their questions were academic or arcane and certainly not something that I deal with regularly with my experience in the industry. Moreover, it was very tense. No smiling, no small talk, rather uncomfortable. Final interview was with a woman from the project office. She was evaluating me on personality. That seemed to go OK.

The interview was in a conference room and it was on the warm side since I was the only one in a suit. I wasn't offered anything to drink when we started and after two and a half hours my mouth was so dry I could barely speak. Before the last interview I asked to get a drink and walked out to the water fountain for a drink.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in October 2014.

Interview

Interview process was very pleasant and well organized. It started with a HR phone interview followed by a technical phone screening. The technical screening was pretty standard. Anyone with sufficient system and networking knowledge would know most of the answers. I received quick feedback and was invited to an onsite interview

When scheduling the onsite interview they did a great job working around my current schedule. Upon arriving everyone was very friendly and made what would usually be a stressful day enjoyable. I got the standard tour, followed by short meeting with HR then was taken to a conference room where I went through four thirty minute 1 on 1 interviews. The interviews were conducted very professionally and included a mix of technical and personality questions. They also had time for me to ask questions and gave me an insight into the department and day to day culture. I was then given a less formal tour of the department and shown outside.

I heard back from HR a couple days later with an offer. Overall this was a great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Don't over think the questions. If the answer seems obvious it probably is. They are mostly looking at your thought process and troubleshooting skills.   Answer Question

Human Resources Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job and interviewed by phone one week after submitting my application. Communications were transparent, friendly, and professional. I was contacted about an on-site interview in the afternoon of the day of my phone interview for the following week. Everything moved so quickly. I received an itinerary on Monday and then an updated itinerary on Wednesday. I showed up for my interview on Friday, but quickly found out there had been a communication error and the interview was canceled. They were putting the position on hold. I had taken a day off work for the interview. They were apologetic for the lack of communication. I was contacted two weeks after that and invited for another interview. The position was now open again. I interviewed a week after initial contact. I interviewed with five people, broken down into smaller groups. The interview was a total of two hours and kicked off with a tour of the facility. The questions were simple and very conversational. One group of interviewers kept emphasizing how I shouldn't expect to be promoted within a short amount of time (18-24 months). I felt warned away from the position and discouraged about their commitment to employee development, especially with the frequency with which it was mentioned. While the other interviewers were phenomenal, the two people who interviewed me and kept re-iterating the stationary nature of the position. The atmosphere of the interview and culture was fun and casual. I found out their final decision a week and a half after the interview. I was sent a generic email thanking me for my application and that they had declined to consider me for the position. It felt cold, impersonal, and failed to even address the fact that I interviewed. It was sent by someone I had never met. My expectations for this company were high given their reputation, but I was disappointed by my experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked no difficult or unexpected questions. All questions were relevant and simple to answer.   Answer Question