Interactive Intelligence Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

3.2

Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2009.

Interview

A ridiculously hard experience overall. Three straight hours of interviews including all areas of the department, each 30 minutes long. What was upsetting was the fact that I had the skills necessary given in the job application, but the interview covered MANY more skills and subjects not mentioned in the job description. I feel like I was turned down on those subjects, not the ones actually shown in the job description. Also, even though the HR folks said they "Pride" themselves on calling applicants soon after interviews, no matter the outcome, I was never given an answer. I had to badger HR just to get a "no thanks" response after a week.

Interview Questions

• Name and explain several different phone and network systems terms.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial screening with HR Phone screen with technical lead. I was asked to do a live coding exercise. On site interview with a team of very intelligent team leads and developers. Several deep details questions measuring my level of knowledge. Did another (this time more difficult) live coding exercise in front of the team

Interview Questions

• Don't remember - the questions started simple and got progressively more difficult until I couldn't answer them anymore.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told HR what I was looking for. They agreed it was a fair wage. Done.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

A tough but fair interview process, I got the impression that even if I weren't a good fit for the position they were interviewing for they would have tried to find something in the organization for me.

Interview Questions

• Several rounds of on-the-spot problem solving with actual coding involved. Tough but fair.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very willing to work with me to meet my needs.

Technical Communicator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process took 4 hours. It was nice to get a tour of the facility and some of the perks such as the gym, cafe, client demo areas, quiet rooms and such. I also met directly with HR and they provided a great overview of all employee benefits. I was escorted to a conference room and was interviewed individually by 3 different people. Then, by 2 different groups of additional employees. Then by a manager. Then by the hiring manager. The questions were thorough and well thought out. The department was clear on what they were looking for. My only observation or complaint is that I wasn't offered a restroom break or even a glass of water. Sitting in the same room for over 3 hours while being interviewed by multiple parties was pretty intense.

Interview Questions

• At least for the position I was interviewing, they seemed to want a writer and a software developer rolled into one person. I am not a developer and I had made that clear in my resume, phone interview and during the on site interviews.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Interview

Initial screening at a university; invited to go on-site to interview with 6 people (3 technical, 3 managerial), each for 30 minutes. This was for a Systems Engineer position, which is different from what I have now (Software Engineer). The Software Engineer position was a short 30 minute informal interview (I had been at working here for 3 years), resulting in a department change.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Since I had a Masters of Science degree, I was able to negotiate several thousand dollars higher from the starting salary for people straight out of college.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

Had a quick discussion with a hiring manager and a week later had a phone interview with a team lead. They said it was an interview with a hiring manager but it actually ended up being fairly technical. He asked a lot of questions about object oriented design and general programming concepts. From there they scheduled two back to back onsite interviews with two different teams. Both positions were for JavaScript and the questions covered specific JavaScript topics, programming exercises, and system design. Each interview was with 3 to 4 people and was fairly challenging. They offered a position that evening and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• write a function that takes in a string and returns a letter that occurs most frequently. if there is a tie, return a letter that occurs first in the string.   Answer Question
    • take the values stored in two input fields in a form. When a button is clicked, increment one of the values every 100 ms until it is twice the other value.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I let them know that I had another offer on the table and they were able to match it.

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Indianapolis, IN) in September 2013.

Interview

There was a brief phone call with a recruiter, then a technical phone call going over basic computer science/data structures things, then an in person with a technical and non technical portion, then a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult for me are "where do you want to be in X years" or soft questions like that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave an offer, I counteroffered, they accepted.

Applications Developer Interview

Application

Interview

Phone interview with HR representative. Phone interview with hiring manager. Face-to-face interviews with 5 different people within the organization on-site during a single day. Then offer was provided about 3 days later.

Interview Questions

• What question did you expect me to ask that I didn't ask?   1 Answer

Area Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

By far, the most professional interview process that I have ever been a part of. They were prompt and thorough in their questions, accomodating and positive in making arrangements for interviews. They were precise and demonstrated an inordinate customer focus throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• The title and responsibility of the position was a little lower than the title I had with my prior employer. They wanted to know why I would accept a step down.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview

There was a phone interview first. Then there was a one-day session of five interviews. There was an HR interview, to be sure I was the person they expected. There were two interviews with hiring managers. There was an interview with a team of team/project leaders. There was a technical skills interview with the technical lead, to solve a real code problem with him watching what I did and asking why I did it that way.

Interview Questions

• Design and present a way/program to walk thru all possible tic-tac-toe games effectively, without repetition of any game state.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.