Interactive Intelligence

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer, Interview

Software Engineer,
Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in April 2014.

Interview Details – Meet with this company at a college job fair, where I kicked it off with one of the people in development department. I handed my resume and received an email with a questionnaire from HR essentially gauging how comfortable you are with the technologies they use . After that I was contacted for an interview a week or two later. After the interview I waited for and followed up every week for about 4 weeks and then I got the offer. Most calls to HR usually go unanswered, but if you email them you usually get a response back.

Interview Question – The interview was difficult, because there were two people both hammering you with technical questions. As long as you take your time to answer the questions and answer them correctly you will get an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Intern salary did not appear to be negotiable. I tried to counteroffer, however that did not make them increase the offer.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in February 2014.

Interview Details – I dropped a resume at a college job fair and received a call from a recruiter to take a programming skills test. I passed the skills test and was set up with a phone interview a few days later. The interview went really well. He asked a lot of questions about object orientated programming, software structures, and we discussed some about the company and working there. When I got off the phone I was pretty excited about the next step, which he said would be an onsite interview. A few days later I got an email asking instead for another phone interview. This interview went bad, the guy asking the questions either had a bad day or just didn't like me from the start. He asked a lot of the questions the other guy did (simple OOP stuff) but his tone was clearly different. After it was over and he asked if I had any questions I said no, but I hope I did ok because it sounded like he wasn't happy with me. He replied something to the effect of yep, that's why we do phone interviews before meeting people. Two days later I got a rejection email.

Interview Question – How would you go about updating computer A with information on computer B on a daily basis?

(Since I'm used to writing code (this was a developer interview) I started to describe a program I would write) he stopped me and said to think in broader terms. So I said I would have a database on A which was updated by a daily scheduled job on B to collect the into and input it. He said tersely nevermind and went on to the next question, I have no idea what he was going for.)
  Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in December 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by HR over a position that was advertised on the web site. After the initial phone screen I was being passed to a hiring manager to arrange an on-site interview.
I never heard back from the recruiter, even after sending a couple tickler emails over the week. This points to a less than professional HR operation that I did not expect from this company.
Overall the experience left a bad taste in my mouth about Interactive.

Interview Question – I didn't get to that point.   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview Details – My journey began with meeting a recruiter at a job fair. I saw Telecom and thought I don't know anything about that. But the recruiter encouraged me to check them out. So I gave them a resume. I received a call back that next week.

The interview process was very smooth. I was able to meet with Team Leads, Regional Managers, as well as the Director of Services (Now the VP of Global Services and Support). Each individual asked pointed questions regarding my ability to troubleshoot difficult problems as well as how I'd work through NOT knowing the answer.

The casual nature and demeanor of everyone I met was later proven to be that of the entire company. I realized that unlike Men in Black I had just worn the last suit I would ever wear by coming to work at Interactive Intelligence. I was home.

Interview Question – The most difficult question I received was in what fashion I would troubleshoot a customers poor network connectivity. The question wasn't hard because of the technical portion but rather how I would handle the unknown and what I would do regarding how to learn the information I wasn't provided initially to the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – An offer was presented to me within a week. I countered as I was looking for a bit more than the initial offer. They came back within a day with a better number which I gladly accepted.

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the next business day. We spoke in general about the company, the position I applied for, and my availability. I then was instructed to complete a C# assessment test online. It consisted of 30 multiple choice questions with a 3 minute time limit for each question. The exam was difficult and tested on several C# features I had not used before. Nevertheless, I scored well enough to get a phone interview with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager asked me a series of technical questions mostly related to object oriented design, my experience with architecture, and some multithreaded programming concepts. About an hour later, the same recruiter called me to schedule an onsite interview.

The company flew me to their headquarters in Indianapolis, IN and picked me up at the airport in a limo. This was nice after waking early and wearing a hot suit all morning. The onsite interview consisted of a facility tour, lunch, and a short discussion about benefits before meeting with software team members. The real part of the interview lasted about two hours. I was asked some of the same technical questions as the phone interview and then given a mouse and keyboard. Three developers were in the room with me and watched as I wrote a program to satisfy some simple requirements that were provided. After testing the program, I was asked about how to improve it. Next, I was asked to design a software architecture for an elevator on a whiteboard. Again, I was questioned by the panel about my design choices and how I would change it given different constraints.

Finally, I spoke one-on-one with the hiring manager and he asked more generic questions (i.e., where do you see yourself in five years?).

I received a call from the recruiter the next business day with a verbal offer. The official offer came the very next day.

Interview Question – Using UML, design a software architecture for an elevator.   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in April 2010.

Interview Details – There were a lot of hoops to get through to get this position. First, there was a BrainBench test. Passing that, I had a phone screen interview, followed by a lengthy in-person interview. The BrainBench test and in-person interviews were intimidating, but I was able to get through them - though, at the time, I figured I bombed the interview.

That said, I feel that the interview itself wasn't bad - I expected it to be difficult; however, about a 3rd of the BrainBench test, looking at it retrospectively, was not relevant to the work I do.

Interview Question – Having to do a coding exercise on a white board, with no access to Visual Studio/Reference materials was a little nerve-wracking (but it was fun) - and in all honesty, it wasn't a difficult exercise that should have required outside resources.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no need to negotiate. I felt like the initial offer was more than sufficient for me.

Very Easy Interview

Indianapolis, IN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in April 2011.

Interview Details – c++ brainbench followed by a technical phone interview.
Onsite interview was the easiest I have ever seen. Anyone could crack it.

Interview Question – What is a singleton.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – HR negotiation strategy is very simple.Indianapolis is a low cost city and that is why you should take a pay cut.The only problem is that they tell you that when you are far into the process.The only reason I accepted is because the other company that I had an offer from revoked it at the very last moment because of some sudden budget cuts.

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in February 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter got in touch with for an initial phone screen. I then talked with the development group manager for a second round phone screen with basic technical and logic questions. My last interview was in person for an afternoon with 3-4 different members of the team.

All in all, I found the interview process to be a very fair one - none of the questions were the impossible ones you always hear about but were rather based on how you would actually write code for real world problems.

Interview Question – I don't want to give any hints to the question as I use the same ones when I interview potential hires for the Web UI team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Interview Details – Campus Interview

Interview Question – Implement Fib   Answer Question

Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Interactive Intelligence in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied via their website and was contacted soon afterwards to fill-out a questionaire. This was followed by 2 Online tests - 1 for C#, and 1 for .NET, 1 Phone screen, and 1 in-person, panel interview w/ 3 developers. On the day of the in-person interview, I was first given a tour of the facilities. The building looks great and features an on-site cafeteria and workout center. It definitely seems like a great place to work.

Interview Question – Why would you use a Singleton data pattern when you could get away with a static class?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Interactive Intelligence

Worked for Interactive Intelligence? Contribute to the Community!

Interactive Intelligence Videos

Interactive Intelligence – Why Work for Us?

Interactive Intelligence Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ININ) designs complete solutions for contact center automation, unified communications, as well as business process automation software and services. Founded in 1994 and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Interactive Intelligence Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Interactive Intelligence employees and interview candidates.