Interactive Intelligence

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.4

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Contacted by in house recruiter. Pleasant process, set up for a couple possible interviews. One position fell through because of the merger. Another position was available. Interviewed with two groups of engineers. Pleasant 20-40 white males all. ( This says a lot about the diversity that is non existent in IT). Some talked and asked questions, others sat.
Company really needs Javascript developers. Some questions were really not in the realm of what you would be expected to do, basically unrelated to the job. They were good questions for homework in Comp Science class.

Other Interview Reviews for Interactive Intelligence

Software Engineer, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in April 2014.

Meet with this company at a college job fair, where I kicked it off with one of the people in development department. I handed my resume and received an email with a questionnaire from HR essentially gauging how comfortable you are with the technologies they use . After that I was contacted for an interview a week or two later. After the interview I waited for and followed up every week for about 4 weeks and then I got the offer. Most calls to HR usually go unanswered, but if you email them you usually get a response back.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was difficult, because there were two people both hammering you with technical questions. As long as you take your time to answer the questions and answer them correctly you will get an offer.   Answer Question
    Intern salary did not appear to be negotiable. I tried to counteroffer, however that did not make them increase the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in February 2014.

I dropped a resume at a college job fair and received a call from a recruiter to take a programming skills test. I passed the skills test and was set up with a phone interview a few days later. The interview went really well. He asked a lot of questions about object orientated programming, software structures, and we discussed some about the company and working there. When I got off the phone I was pretty excited about the next step, which he said would be an onsite interview. A few days later I got an email asking instead for another phone interview. This interview went bad, the guy asking the questions either had a bad day or just didn't like me from the start. He asked a lot of the questions the other guy did (simple OOP stuff) but his tone was clearly different. After it was over and he asked if I had any questions I said no, but I hope I did ok because it sounded like he wasn't happy with me. He replied something to the effect of yep, that's why we do phone interviews before meeting people. Two days later I got a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about updating computer A with information on computer B on a daily basis?

(Since I'm used to writing code (this was a developer interview) I started to describe a program I would write) he stopped me and said to think in broader terms. So I said I would have a database on A which was updated by a daily scheduled job on B to collect the into and input it. He said tersely nevermind and went on to the next question, I have no idea what he was going for.)

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in December 2013.

I was contacted by HR over a position that was advertised on the web site. After the initial phone screen I was being passed to a hiring manager to arrange an on-site interview.
    I never heard back from the recruiter, even after sending a couple tickler emails over the week. This points to a less than professional HR operation that I did not expect from this company.
    Overall the experience left a bad taste in my mouth about Interactive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

My journey began with meeting a recruiter at a job fair. I saw Telecom and thought I don't know anything about that. But the recruiter encouraged me to check them out. So I gave them a resume. I received a call back that next week.

The interview process was very smooth. I was able to meet with Team Leads, Regional Managers, as well as the Director of Services (Now the VP of Global Services and Support). Each individual asked pointed questions regarding my ability to troubleshoot difficult problems as well as how I'd work through NOT knowing the answer.

The casual nature and demeanor of everyone I met was later proven to be that of the entire company. I realized that unlike Men in Black I had just worn the last suit I would ever wear by coming to work at Interactive Intelligence. I was home.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I received was in what fashion I would troubleshoot a customers poor network connectivity. The question wasn't hard because of the technical portion but rather how I would handle the unknown and what I would do regarding how to learn the information I wasn't provided initially to the problem.   Answer Question
    An offer was presented to me within a week. I countered as I was looking for a bit more than the initial offer. They came back within a day with a better number which I gladly accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in June 2013.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter the next business day. We spoke in general about the company, the position I applied for, and my availability. I then was instructed to complete a C# assessment test online. It consisted of 30 multiple choice questions with a 3 minute time limit for each question. The exam was difficult and tested on several C# features I had not used before. Nevertheless, I scored well enough to get a phone interview with the hiring manager.

The hiring manager asked me a series of technical questions mostly related to object oriented design, my experience with architecture, and some multithreaded programming concepts. About an hour later, the same recruiter called me to schedule an onsite interview.

The company flew me to their headquarters in Indianapolis, IN and picked me up at the airport in a limo. This was nice after waking early and wearing a hot suit all morning. The onsite interview consisted of a facility tour, lunch, and a short discussion about benefits before meeting with software team members. The real part of the interview lasted about two hours. I was asked some of the same technical questions as the phone interview and then given a mouse and keyboard. Three developers were in the room with me and watched as I wrote a program to satisfy some simple requirements that were provided. After testing the program, I was asked about how to improve it. Next, I was asked to design a software architecture for an elevator on a whiteboard. Again, I was questioned by the panel about my design choices and how I would change it given different constraints.

Finally, I spoke one-on-one with the hiring manager and he asked more generic questions (i.e., where do you see yourself in five years?).

I received a call from the recruiter the next business day with a verbal offer. The official offer came the very next day.

Interview Questions
    • Using UML, design a software architecture for an elevator.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in February 2013.

A recruiter got in touch with for an initial phone screen. I then talked with the development group manager for a second round phone screen with basic technical and logic questions. My last interview was in person for an afternoon with 3-4 different members of the team.

All in all, I found the interview process to be a very fair one - none of the questions were the impossible ones you always hear about but were rather based on how you would actually write code for real world problems.

Interview Questions
    • I don't want to give any hints to the question as I use the same ones when I interview potential hires for the Web UI team.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence.

Campus Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in September 2012.

I applied via their website and was contacted soon afterwards to fill-out a questionaire. This was followed by 2 Online tests - 1 for C#, and 1 for .NET, 1 Phone screen, and 1 in-person, panel interview w/ 3 developers. On the day of the in-person interview, I was first given a tour of the facilities. The building looks great and features an on-site cafeteria and workout center. It definitely seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you use a Singleton data pattern when you could get away with a static class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Interactive Intelligence in March 2012.

The hiring manager contacted me after I gave my resume to college recruiter in the school career fair. During the career fair, the company was one of the most popular companies that students wanted to turn resume in (after Facebook, Google, Amazon, Linkedin). In first phone call, I was given opportunity to talk about resume, and some basic questions. It seems like the company is growing fast and looking for a lot of bright smart engineers.
    After the phone interview, they invited me to the Indianapolis for the on-site interview. They first gave me a tour, which showed various part of the building. The work environment seems to be excellent. They provide an office for each developer (this is the big plus). Also, they have google-like perks and places to exercise and take a rest inside of the building. As a matter of fact, they seems to own 2~3 buildings. It is really one of the best places to work in Indiana. Also their benefits and perks are very competitive against other companies.
    After the tour, I did some on-site interview with team leads. It was fun and they gave me interesting questions to solve. After the interview, they gave me a call for the verbal offer next day.
    The offer was competitive considering the company is in Indianapolis which has low cost of living.
    I was almost gonna accept the offer but waited for a while because it was quite early in the job searching process.
    Unfortunately, I did not accept the offer due to location reason. However, it was really pleasure experience to go through interview process with them. Everyone that I have met from career fair, recruiter, and lead developers were nice and kind.

Interview Questions

Changed my mind to work in the different area than the midwest.