International Game Technology Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Updated Jul 6, 2014

2.7

Software Engineer I Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at International Game Technology.

The interview process was fairly standard for corporate environments. I submitted my resume, was contacted to schedule a phone interview which included a brief technical screening process, and roughly a week later I was asked to come into the work place for a formal interview.

The interview material was precisely what you would expect if you do any research on engineering interviews or have interviewed for a position as a Software Engineer in the past. Nothing beats being grilled with technical questions with nothing to aid you but a white board and dry erase marker. The interview questions covered everything from how you work with others, what you would do in a given situation, and how you would solve a specific technical problem. The team of interviewers were mostly encouraging and clearly indicated that they were more interested in hearing your thought process to solving a problem than arriving at the final answer correctly.

Interview Questions
    • I don't honestly remember the specifics, but there seems to be a propensity for at least one good logic question or puzzle to see how you think and work through difficult problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at International Game Technology in June 2013.

Asked questions about general C++ syntax and datastructures. Also asked what kind of work envirment was desired.

Interview Questions
    • Asked a couple of questions that aluded to unsafe programming practicies, copy data into fixed buffers without checking length...   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at International Game Technology.

Hiring from the outside was easy. I had one interview and was immediately hired the next day, even though there was a holiday weekend coming up and they said I probably would not know until after the holiday weekend.
    Being interviewed as a current employee sucks. I've been through dozens of interviews. Usually there is an initial interview, then a follow-up interview, and sometimes a third interview. Most of the time it is all for show, as most of the managers I interviewed with already had someone in mind that they were going to promote, but they need to "go through the motions" per HR rules. One manager consistently refused to give me an interview for a supervisor position, instead setting up "meetings" with me to tell me why I was not good enough to be a supervisor. I applied four times in five years for the job, every time it became open, and each time it was a different reason why I was not qualified. Every time I made note of the reason and worked on those reasons to make myself qualified for the next time the opportunity came around....and each time there was a new "reason". I actually had to train one of the people that was hired for the supervisor position at one point. Bottom line, once you are in IGT, if you don't know anyone or don't suck up, you won't go anywhere. Hard work, consistency, perfect attendance, good ideas for improving IGT, these things don't matter. In five years I worked my way from a bottom feeder to a "lead" position and was constantly told how the managers could sleep at night knowing I was "running the ship" - but I wasn't good enough for a supervisor position, even though I had previous supervisor experience and had demonstrated excellent teamwork and motivation skills. What matters is who you know, who you sleep with, who you go drinking with.

Interview Questions
    • What is one thing you think you could improve about yourself?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It was an entry-level position, pretty much take it or leave it.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at International Game Technology in May 2013.

I applied for several positions with this company and have barely received the courtesy of a "thanks but no thanks" email. With auto-respond the norm these days, I fail to see why companies can't send some kind of acknowledgement. I did get one interview, but I believe the position was already filled internally, and they were going through the motions.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing about the interview was the two people interviewing me lifted the questions verbatim from the Yahoo Project Manager interview questions! Seriously, word for word. I was stunned.   View Answer

Intern Interview

The interview was very technical phone interview. I was under 21 and only a freshmen so they told me to try again after a year.

Software Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at International Game Technology in March 2013.

I was contacted by a staffing company which was very professional in their approach which actually got me interested in applying at IGT. A technical phone interview was then scheduled within a couple of weeks with the pertaining project manager and technical architect. I was asked questions only about core java, but the questions were apt for evaluate the clarity of fundamental concepts. Interview lasted for half an hour. I was called the next day to schedule a F2F interview which was a nice experience. I was interviewed by a panel of 3. Although the questions were not that easy I was impressed with the tech architect who was very knowledgeable and articulate.

Interview Questions
    I did not need to negotiate as I was offered a compensation package completely based upon industry standard and position offered and not on my previous compensation package.

Software Engineer IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at International Game Technology in February 2013.

Worked with a recruiter who got me a phone interview with one manager for a position I wasn't really interested in but that one recommended me to another who had a position more suitable for my skill set. The questions asked by the first manager were mostly technical. The second manager I spoke to on the phone asked mostly personality questions. This was followed by an in person technical interview with a group of 3 employees, followed by a face to face with the manager. Each session lasted around an hour.

Interview Questions
    • How would you troubleshoot an out of memory error? How would you prevent it from occurring again? How would you recommend monitoring the system to ensure minimal downtime should it happen again?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a salary 10% higher than their initial offer. I declined their first two offers on the basis of being too low.

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at International Game Technology in October 2012.

one phone interview, one in person group interview

Interview Questions
    • If I wanted to build a Database server, what would I need?   View Answer

Was offered a management position with another company.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulsa, OK

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at International Game Technology in March 2012.

Blind ad was posted on job board (simplyhired.com) which provided minimum details about the position and no significant information about the company. Initial telephone interview was with HR representative ultimately leading to two more phone interviews before a final face to face interview. Some delays in interview process due to scheduling conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • Very specific questions about analytical skills which required careful wording due to confidentiality requirements of past employers.   View Answer
    Handled with the HR department who would communicate between me and management.

Flash Game Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at International Game Technology in November 2011.

The interview process consisted of a phone interview with the recruiter, followed up by a phone interview by the Engineering manager on the same day. The next day I received a call to come down to their offices in San Francisco for an interview. The interview process lasted a total of 3 hours and consisted of a 4 part panel interview comprised of groups of 3 to 8 interviewers at a time. During the interview I was asked to go over some programming logic and programming concepts and overall the interview process was very technical and I froze on everything I had learned in school. A week later I received an email letting me know that they decided to go another with another candidate because my technical skills were not at a level they expected and I cannot say I blame them because I still have a lot to learn.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how I would program a deck of cards to flip the top card over after the user presses a button.   Answer Question