International Paper

International Paper Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

Process Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at International Paper.

I had a sit down interview that lasted a little over an hour. It was a very relaxed interview with two interviewers who were recent grads. They asked generic interview questions, none of which were very difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for International Paper?   View Answer

Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at International Paper.

The process was very long and thorough. It took over two months and with four interviews ( two phone screens, and two face - to - face interviews on site, including VP. I can appreciate the process but there was no follow up unless it was prompted. The final outcome was disappointing after over two and half months but understandable.

Interview Questions
    • It was behavioral based so there was nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Manager Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

An IP recruiter messaged me in LinkedIn to ask if I was interested in the position. I said I was, and we set up a time for a phone interview. It went well, and the regional HR manager contacted me for a plant interview. It was a panel with my boos -to- be, his boss, and the HR manager. They had a template they had to follow, but it felt more like a conversation; a very genuine one.

Interview Questions
    I was too excited. I didn't negotiate

Packer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lexington, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Applied through employee referral, I was called a week later to take a test, getting the interview was completely based on passing the test. The next day I was interviewed by a panel that asked questions based on safety and prior job experience.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to ignore a safety rule to get a job done faster.   View Answers (2)
    No negotation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oxnard, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxnard, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper in May 2014.

I met the HR manager at a Career Fair at my university. I chatted with her for a bit and left a resume. About two weeks later I received a call from her to schedule an interview. The first interview involved a tour of the paper mill (1 hour) followed by a panel interview with the HR manager, the lead process engineer, and the engineering manager. The questions were very standard and the interviewers were very nice. I got a call back for a second visit, which involved 3 1:1 interviews with various mangers of the company and more detailed plant tours (2.5 hours). Overall very positive interview experience. Note: do not arrive to interviews in your nicest clothes. You will be given steel toe shoe add-ons and your shoes (and person) may get wet.

Company culture: about 100 employees, mostly men. Most employees are aged 40+.

Interview Questions
    • What is Henry's Law? (Technical question)
      What do you think your role of process engineer will be? (Make sure to read job description carefully)
        Answer Question

Although the paper industry is very stable and I would have received a solid pay, I was not interested in process engineering (or rather controls).

Process Engineer Interview

Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper in March 2014.

Quick easy background phone interview, panel interview with 3 people, then a second panel interview with 4 people. It was very formal and although I had prepared myself well, it proved aggressive. Just a lot of very intense questions. Probably 30 questions in all...the two panel interviews lasted about an hour and a half each.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of the "tell me about a time" questions...weaknesses, how you communicate with others, management styles, disagreements with coworkers, issues with authority. Just a lot of very intense questions.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shelbyville, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelbyville, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

A recruiter contacted me and I was going to interview, but then was told the position had been filled. I was later contacted by a different recruiter with the same job specifications. I was then asked if I would be willing to relocate. The recruiter asked questions about dealing with personnel and when I would be available to start. I also had to give three references for him to contact.

The recruiter then passed my info on to the HR manager and set up a 30 to 45 min phone interview for me.

At the end of the phone interview I was told by the HR manager that he would like me to come to the plant the following week.

The interview process was very quick. The managers interviewed me multiple times and I found it very redundant.The Plant Manager asked for a lot of specific details regarding my resume.

I had to go back on the next week for a final interview. The managers I had already interviewed with the previous visit interviewed me again in a panel interview. They asked the same type of questions.

Once this was completed, I had to take a personality assessment. This was about 100 questions. I was given the drug testing at that time and then sent the final offer over email.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of the same questions over and over again. You had to know what you were talking about obviously. The plant manager asked for a lot of details on the specifics of my resume. If interviewed by the plant manager, be ready to talk specifics with him.   Answer Question
    They made a good offer, so I did not counter. However, in retrospect I should have negotiated more vacation time due the nature of the shift work.

Reserve Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Courtland, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Courtland, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

I actually had 2 interviews before I was hired. It has been so long that I can't remember my initial interview questions, because back in the 1970's things were different than they are now.

Do you want the job?

Machine Operator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at International Paper.

I was called for an interview after successfully passing a test at the local department of labor. I was ask what department I wanted to work in but was then told that only one department was hiring. I had a great experience with HR and they called me back in two days saying I had the job.

Interview Questions
    • It was over 22 years ago so I can not recall any difficult questions. They were excited with my test scores and seemed really interested in my ability to do a good job.   Answer Question

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!