International Republican Institute
www.iri.org Washington, DC 150 to 499 Employees

International Republican Institute Program Officer Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Officer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at International Republican Institute.

Interview Details – This was absolutely the worst interview process I have ever gone through. After two phone interviews, I was flown to DC to meet with the President and Vice President, and the program manager. (They had me flight in and out of DC from Texas in the same day.) The program manager acted as though he had no idea who I was or why I was there. Clearly there was some internal miscommunication. After a very positive interview with the Pres and VP, the program manager basically made me an informal offer and said they would be in touch on Monday (it was Friday). Then I waited. And waited. And waited so long, another job offer I had on the table was withdrawn. My attempts to contact them were fruitless, they were clearly avoiding me. After several weeks, I was told they would be interviewing additional candidates. I inquired politely what I might have done better. No answer, and no further follow up.

It was a heart breaking experience. I thought I had the job, and the rug was pulled out from under me at the 11th hour and I was left unemployed. I lost all respect for this organization and the people interviewing me. The way I was treated is simply unprofessional and disrespectful. Personally, it was heartbreaking.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Program Officer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Republican Institute.

Interview Details – Went in for an in person interview and it went well. Never heard any follow up.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Republican Institute.

Interview Details – 1) Applied online 2) Had an informational interview with a friend in the organization 3) Interviewed with the deputy and director of the department I was going to work with 4) Interviewed with the President 5) Was made an offer

This is the usual process, best advice is to find someone from the inside you can network and have advocate on your behalf. Also note that the time between initial interview and interview with the President or senior leadership can take some time as they travel often. Even if you are a well liked candidate the final interview can sink you; it is a casual interview but they are looking to see if you are a good fit for the organization.

Interview Question – Understand what the organization is. Do not except to travel the world and be offered an oversea posting soon after you are hired. Additionally, fully understanding their HR schedule for promotions and pay increases.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not much flexibility unless you have another offer

Program Officer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Republican Institute in December 2011.

Interview Details – Took about 2 months to hear back from initial application. First interview scheduled within the week contacted - took place over the phone as I live out of state, second interview scheduled at the conclusion of the first. Second interview seemed like it would normally have been broken up into 2 rounds (met with increasing levels of seniority) but wasn't as I had traveled in. Heard back following the second round within one week. Interviewers were concerned with fit (asked why IRI & wanted to understand my philosophy about democracy promotion).

Interview Question – Why IRI   Answer Question

Program Officer Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Republican Institute in July 2008.

Interview Details – Very casual, with fit interviews starting at the middle management level, and finishing with the president and EVP of the organization. It all comes down to fit and this organization has a heavy hand at the top. The "front office" as they like to call themselves has to approve every hire and they have final veto without consultation from the junior or less senior staff.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – non existent. Take it or leave it.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for International Republican Institute? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at International Republican Institute Program Officer interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by International Republican Institute employees and interview candidates.