International Rescue Committee Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

The IRC has a very efficient, standardized hiring process:

First, I had 3 phone calls with the same HR person. First to discuss my credentials and work background, the basic job description for which I was being considered, and to gauge my interest and commitment. It was essential at this stage that I not only had the basic education/work experience, but that I also demonstrated strong understanding and commitment of the IRC mission and work. Second, we had a call to discuss the benefit package- I was asked my previous salary and what I would expect to be paid. Then was asked to respond to 4 key questions 1) what I anticipated would be difficult about the job 2) an example of a challenge I faced while working in the field (related job) 3) my management style 4) why I am interested in working on GBV issues
    The HR person took notes, and then I asked that I respond to 8 questions in written form within 24 hours. This was shared my the coordinator (boss) in the field, who was the next to interview me. This was go more in depth into my management experience of projects in the field, and to answer any questions I had about the job and the evolving situation. The final interview was a technical interview with the GBV advisor at HQ, and involved questions to gauge my understanding of GBV program design and monitoring.

I want to highlight the the HR people I talked to and the manager in the field were a pleasure to speak with. They were personable, approachable, and made me want to work for the IRC.

Interview Questions
    • What is meant my 'prevention' and how do you know if you've achieved it?   View Answer

another offer came up

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in June 2014.

I applied online through their website and a recruiter got in touch with me within a couple of days. Had a phone interview with the recruiter, mostly about my past experience, and then had an in person interview with the Hiring Manager. The second interview was more of a casual conversation about my experience and my interest in the region.

Director Interview

I was offered the position following the departure of someone else. The decision to offer me the job was based on my previous work and did not involve an extensive interview or recruitment process. Instead, it was an informal appraisal of whether or not I was willing and could make a good fit with the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your strategic vision for the unit you manage.   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in June 2014.

I was an intern for a year and a half before interviewing for this position. The first interview was an in-person interview with the office's ED which was a fairly straightforward conversation about the organization and interest in the position. The second round consisted of an assignment due before the actual interview (newsletter article and fundraising proposal), and an interview with the ED plus two of the office's program managers.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was asked during the second round in relation to my fundraising proposal. Should you be in a similar position, come prepared to answer questions on every aspect of your proposal.   Answer Question

Communications Position Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

I applied for the position via IRC's career site. Within a few weeks, a very friendly woman from HR contacted me for a phone interview. I had two more interviews - one with the boss and the other an in-person with a few members of the team. There was also a quick writing test. Background and reference check was quick. Entire process took a month. Very attentive, helpful and kind HR folks. Always kept me in the loop!

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in May 2014.

I applied online and also sent out my application to the director in charge of the hiring process. There was a brief screening phone interview with a HR person. I set up a time to come in and do the interview through the phone. There was a director and a program manager who interviewed me.

Employment Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in May 2014.

I applied online to the position and received an email approximately 4-5 weeks afterwards requesting to schedule a phone interview for the following week. There were time slots offered over a period of 2-3 days with options throughout the day, which was very helpful in working around my own schedule. The actual interview was very professional, yet also relaxed, more like having a conversation about open position and how I could meet the needs of the organization. Although I did not receive an offer, I did receive an encouraging email to apply for other positions about a week after my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge faced working in a group setting and how you worked through the challenge?   Answer Question

Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in August 2010.

it was a one on one interview

no room to negotiate

Technical Advisor-child Protection Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at International Rescue Committee in November 2013.

One-on-one phone interviews. The first one was more of a screening interview from a recruiter.
    Second interview was with the hiring manager, and the third interview was with a director of another unit.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. The first interview focused on my experiences, while the second and third on technical aspects of the work.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

First, all potential interns and volunteers participated in an information session, and then individual informational interviews. The head of the department then scheduled an interview a couple of weeks later. I found out a few days later. Before I could start, I participated in a volunteer and intern orientation session.

Interview Questions
    • How has your international experience prepared you for this role?   Answer Question

Worked for International Rescue Committee? Contribute to the Community!