International Rescue Committee Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

2.9

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee (New York, NY).

Interview

A couple of weeks after submitting my application online, I was contacted by an IRC staff who wanted to interview me at one of IRC's NY offices. I confirmed the interview date, time and place a few days before the interview with her. However, she was not in the office when I came for the interview. It took more than 20 minutes for other staff to figure out what was going on. Finally I was told that the interviewer would not be in the office that day (it was not that she was taking a sick day) and that she already notified me about the cancelation of the interview by email, which she didn't. Since I had to travel from Boston, I wanted to know before leaving NYC if she canceled the interview or wanted to postpone it. I called her and left a message (she didn't pick up her phone) to see if it'd be rescheduled. I emailed her, but she didn't respond. I never heard from her again.

This was such an unprofessional and inconsiderate behavior from a reputable international organization's staff. Since I didn't get any travel reimbursement for the interview, I had to pay for my own travel, food and lodging expenses for the trip. I truly hope that nobody else experiences what I got from IRC.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Phone interview by HR and in person interview with the supervisor. The job was not offered because my current salary could not be matched. Then it was offered at a lower rate. I declined. Then a higher salary was offered and I accepted. I never heard back and the job was posted again.

Interview Questions

• What would be the biggest challenge accepting the position?   Answer Question
    • How would I rate my level of experience with excel? powerpoint? word?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where I did something wrong and how I fixed it.   Answer Question
    • What is your current salary?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

Initial phone interview was straightforward. They asked about my background, experience with clinical data, and why I thought I was a good fit for the position. After the phone interview there were two full interviews (one with the primary hiring manager and another with other management) and an Excel skills assessment (testing competency and skills with Microsoft Excel).

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience in managing data and conducting data analysis.   Answer Question

Family & Youth Program Mentor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at International Rescue Committee (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I met with the employee specialist, who introduced me to the entire team and what their roles were. We then began the interview process where she asked about my interests at interning at IRC and my education background.

Finance Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

it was a phone interview lasted about 10 mins. the interviewer was very friendly. qustions are not hard. some very basic questions. went through the resume.......................never hear back from them.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

I completed a phone screen with the HR recruiter for approximately 30 minutes. I answered questions about my previous work experience and relevant skills. She explained she would be in touch within the next week to discuss next steps in the interview process.

Resettlement and Placement Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee (Oakland, CA).

Interview

I sent an email application and then I was called for an in-person interview. I arrived on time for my appointment and then I was called in with another person who was interning to work there which was unexpected. It was in front of 2 case managers.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

Just basic question about the research or project you have done, and why do you want to work in IRC and your specific interests. They want the candidate who have extensive research experience in literature review and data analysis.

Peer Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

After submitting an application, I was contacted to arrange a phone interview during one of many 30-minute time slots. The phone interview wasn't difficult, particularly if you have any teaching experience to draw on or experiences in multicultural settings. The interviewer was friendly, offered more information about the program at the end, and asked for my social as part of their screening process (you aren't mandated to provide it, they ask if you are comfortable sharing it over the phone).

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have in a teaching/mentoring role?   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Interview

I only had two phone interviews and didn't get any further. The next step would have been in-person interviews with the GC and head of supply chain. It's a great NGO, and everyone really supports the initiative. Seems like it would have been a great place to work. They were incredibly kind, professional and very informative. They also responded quickly. Overall, it was a great process.

Interview Questions

• What do you do with your free time (which is odd for a legal interview)?   Answer Question