International Rescue Committee Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Just basic question about the research or project you have done, and why do you want to work in IRC and your specific interests. They want the candidate who have extensive research experience in literature review and data analysis.

Peer Counselor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

After submitting an application, I was contacted to arrange a phone interview during one of many 30-minute time slots. The phone interview wasn't difficult, particularly if you have any teaching experience to draw on or experiences in multicultural settings. The interviewer was friendly, offered more information about the program at the end, and asked for my social as part of their screening process (you aren't mandated to provide it, they ask if you are comfortable sharing it over the phone).

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have in a teaching/mentoring role?   Answer Question

Counsel Interview

I applied online – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

I only had two phone interviews and didn't get any further. The next step would have been in-person interviews with the GC and head of supply chain. It's a great NGO, and everyone really supports the initiative. Seems like it would have been a great place to work. They were incredibly kind, professional and very informative. They also responded quickly. Overall, it was a great process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do with your free time (which is odd for a legal interview)?   Answer Question

Economic Empowerment Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at International Rescue Committee.

I applied in February and a couple weeks later, I heard back asking for an interview. The interview was via phone. On the interview were the two senior directors. It lasted about 30 minutes and I was told that I would be hearing from them within a week or so.They referred a lot to my resume,asked a lot of questions about my experience and how it would relate to the job I was applying for,and a lot of scenario questions. They told me that I would be hearing from them soon(a week or two) about if I received the internship. I had an offer by the beginning of march.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a scenario question about working with a client whom did not speak english and I had to give them directions with a language barrier.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at International Rescue Committee.

Applied through the university. I was called on-site for an interview after a quick phone screening process - met with my potential supervisors and the director and was asked brief questions regarding my resume. Overall a positive experience.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at International Rescue Committee.

The IRC has a very efficient, standardized hiring process:

First, I had 3 phone calls with the same HR person. First to discuss my credentials and work background, the basic job description for which I was being considered, and to gauge my interest and commitment. It was essential at this stage that I not only had the basic education/work experience, but that I also demonstrated strong understanding and commitment of the IRC mission and work. Second, we had a call to discuss the benefit package- I was asked my previous salary and what I would expect to be paid. Then was asked to respond to 4 key questions 1) what I anticipated would be difficult about the job 2) an example of a challenge I faced while working in the field (related job) 3) my management style 4) why I am interested in working on GBV issues
    The HR person took notes, and then I asked that I respond to 8 questions in written form within 24 hours. This was shared my the coordinator (boss) in the field, who was the next to interview me. This was go more in depth into my management experience of projects in the field, and to answer any questions I had about the job and the evolving situation. The final interview was a technical interview with the GBV advisor at HQ, and involved questions to gauge my understanding of GBV program design and monitoring.

I want to highlight the the HR people I talked to and the manager in the field were a pleasure to speak with. They were personable, approachable, and made me want to work for the IRC.

Interview Questions
    • What is meant my 'prevention' and how do you know if you've achieved it?   View Answer

another offer came up

Director Interview

I was offered the position following the departure of someone else. The decision to offer me the job was based on my previous work and did not involve an extensive interview or recruitment process. Instead, it was an informal appraisal of whether or not I was willing and could make a good fit with the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is your strategic vision for the unit you manage.   Answer Question

Communications Position Interview Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at International Rescue Committee.

I applied for the position via IRC's career site. Within a few weeks, a very friendly woman from HR contacted me for a phone interview. I had two more interviews - one with the boss and the other an in-person with a few members of the team. There was also a quick writing test. Background and reference check was quick. Entire process took a month. Very attentive, helpful and kind HR folks. Always kept me in the loop!

Community Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at International Rescue Committee in June 2014.

I was an intern for a year and a half before interviewing for this position. The first interview was an in-person interview with the office's ED which was a fairly straightforward conversation about the organization and interest in the position. The second round consisted of an assignment due before the actual interview (newsletter article and fundraising proposal), and an interview with the ED plus two of the office's program managers.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was asked during the second round in relation to my fundraising proposal. Should you be in a similar position, come prepared to answer questions on every aspect of your proposal.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at International Rescue Committee in June 2014.

I applied online through their website and a recruiter got in touch with me within a couple of days. Had a phone interview with the recruiter, mostly about my past experience, and then had an in person interview with the Hiring Manager. The second interview was more of a casual conversation about my experience and my interest in the region.