Internet Brands

Relevance Date Difficulty

Online Community Specialist Interview

Online Community Specialist
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands in June 2014.

Interview Details – Started with a basic phone interview with HR to go over my resume. Then they sent me a test that I had 2 days to finish. Questions about how you would respond to things that happened with this position. Then they called to schedule and interview because they liked my answers.

The in-person interview was great. HR is super nice and advocates for you. They took me in a conference room and briefed me on who is interviewing me. Met with the immediate boss for the position first. Very basic questions about resume from him and his discussion about the position. Took 20 min.

Next was with the person who was currently in the role, but was moving to Europe. She asked tons of questions, all pretty standard though, and then let me ask her questions about the position. This took about 40 min. The whole process took about 2 hours.

I had to follow up with them a week later to find out the status. They did say it takes about 2-3 weeks once you interview before you can actually start. Also, they are very concerned about desired pay and it fitting into their range, which seems to be on the low-end of the industry.

Interview Question – Most questions were very standard. Nothing in particular stuck out.   Answer Question

Funding Clerk Interview

Funding Clerk
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Internet Brands in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter and did a short phone interview. Was asked to come in for an in-person interview a couple days later. I interviewed with four people separately: recruiter, manager, and two IT people. Everyone was pretty friendly except the manager.

Interview Question – What interested you in this job?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
El Segundo, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview Details – The hiring process was fairly quick, but the actual interviews were very long. Make sure you have at least a three hour window blocked off for each of the interviews. I came into the offices a couple of times, and each time met with at least three different people. I spent about an hour with each individual. The recruiting team was very helpful, and always kept me updated with progress.

Interview Question – Please describe, in detail, how you would convince someone that the Internet Brands properties are best for their clients.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly easy if you know what you want, and what you're willing to take. I took initiative and gave a take it or leave it offer. I know what I wouldn't be able to accept, and took it from there. I came in prepared, showing them my expenses, and what I could and couldn't cut out from my monthly expenses. Ultimately, they offered me what I wanted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

Intern
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands in February 2014.

Interview Details – Process:

1. I applied online via the internet brands website. Sent all relevant material (resume, cover letter, etc.)
2. Received a phone call from HR - really nice people. Call lasted about 12 minutes, asked what I knew about Internet Brands, previous jobs, salary history, etc.
3. I'm assuming they liked what I said, so received an assignment to complete.
4. Assignment: Two questions - had to answer them by creating formulas in Excel. Completed it and emailed it back. One question was ambiguous - so answered incorrectly in first attempt. Luckily HR was understanding (she admitted the question was confusing too), clarified it, and asked me to attempt the first question again. Answered correctly and was invited for an interview the next day. Received follow up email from another HR lady with invitation.
5. Next day - interview: Arrived 15 minutes early and asked to sit in lobby/waiting room (nice view of the airport btw). Atmosphere was very casual, saw the CEO dressed in Tommy Bahama like shirt (did my research and recognized him, but was too scared to initiate conversation - since I did not get the job, I regret not doing so).
6. Waited about 5-10 minutes in the waiting room, then met with HR lady who sent me the invitation, shook hands, and was invited to meeting room. Offered water, said yes, got said water. Never saw her again. Perhaps this was a test to see how nice you were to her. Take note of this: be excessively nice to everyone, even the receptionist.
7. Waited 10 minutes until someone showed up (but because I was nervous, it seemed like I waited an hour). HR lady who I spoke with at length interview me. She also brought along a trainee, who was mostly quiet during the interview. Asked me standard questions, which repeated a lot of the phone interview of the previous day. I asked some questions, and was told the manager of the department would be coming shortly to interview me.
8. Waited another 10 minutes or so until she came (in my mind - another eternity). She was very nice, asked standard questions. Seemed genuinely interested in what I had to say. Thought everything had gone great, she gave me her business card - which I thought was a subtle way of saying, "you got the job!" However, she didn't tell me when she would get back to me, until I asked. She said it would be sometime during the middle of next week ( was interviewed on a Friday).
9. Waited exactly one week and sent an email on that Friday. Got a response on Monday from HR that I did not get the job.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular. Just be very meticulous when answering the initial case study. Pay close attention to the question, as they may be a bit confusing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous
El Segundo, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Internet Brands in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very well organized. Corporate recruiters were friendly and helpful.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative for AptRatings.com/Satisfacts.com Interview

Inside Sales Representative for AptRatings.com/Satisfacts.com
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Internet Brands in October 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact was very cordial and professional with two very polite female HR recent grad types. Position seemed defined on paper but when I started interviewing it unraveled that the 4 innovative parts were not fully integrated or explained properly.

Interview Question – The sales manager asked me to pitch the "product/service" almost immediately into the interview with what was a quick and rather vague explanation that from my research didn't seem to stand out from the competition in any way. The reputation management service at AptRatings.com that I was asked to sell to apartment building management was only an access to writing management replies to unverified tenants that left mostly rants in the forum comment stream against their handling of everyday maintenance and tenant service issues--at a very low subscription fee price point.

In an effort to find out more about the competitive landscape before the impromptu pitch, I mentioned a competitor's solution that I read about where they have a real time "buffer" system for angry tenant comments that allowed management to respond immediately in real time in "chat" mode to get a chance to resolve the matter to prevent it from hitting the net for all to see. It also served as a tight customer service feedback loop rather than what the manager was presenting at AptRatings.com as just a "truthful" appearing unmoderated forum thread where that they felt net readers had a new literacy point in being able to filter and screen quickly to gauge what was true and a trend. Really?!

The tone and response of this manager was defensive telling about the pervasive and large footprint of AptRatings and then with him quickly explaining another service being integrated that would verify commenters as being real tenants (as opposed to competition spam) and a survey based consensus type comment that could be injected into the comment stream or adjacent to it to give a balanced "statistical" point of view. I thought to myself that I could start to sell that--but no mention of it until I pushed back like I did with the competitor's product.

They clearly were in beta mode and didn't have their ducks in a row with the roll out and I decided at that point that I didn't want to risk my commission income and sales performance on this mess and did not wish for an offer and didn't receive one--thanks to above.
  Answer Question

Account Executive/Sales Interview

Account Executive/Sales
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview Details – Applied via website job board. Initial application and submission process was very painless. I was contacted a few days after i submitted my resume. Initial phone interview was done by the director of sales in the health vertical. After phone screening, they called me in for a in-person interview. Be prepared to meet with at least 2 of your supervisors. If they like you, you will be contacted with an offer. They do a very good job in following up quickly regarding status of the application.

Interview Question – The questions that were asked were much of what you would expect in a general interview with a few tailored to the respective vertical.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is possible. Case by case situation.

Web Developer Interview

Web Developer
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands in August 2012.

Interview Details – I started as an intern originally. Process was simple. Was given brainsbuilder test, then contacted by HR, came in for an interview, basic questions/test, hired within a couple of weeks. Everyone was really cool. HR was comprehensive and all of them were nice. Even took me down to the Coffee Bean because a manager was stuck in a meeting.

Negotiation Details – They offered and I accepted.

QA Intern Tester Interview

QA Intern Tester
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Internet Brands in September 2013.

Interview Details – The recruiter told me upfront the pay was $12 an hour for 25 hours a week. I was given a link to an online test by the recruiter. It was mostly basic computer questions/html/testing methods by an automated exam system. I filled it out and asked the recruiter some questions. A second test was given on hypothetical scenarios governing testing facebook or another large company in the form of a word document.

Interview Question – One of the questons was actually wrong. It asked to identify elements in the 5 shaded elements of a webpage when there was six. Since it was a QA testing position, I noted that and didn't hear back about it.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
El Segundo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview Details – Laid back interview, met with a few people including my manager and hr. everyone was super nice, filled out a background check online and contacted within a week telling me I got the job.

Interview Question – They just asked me about my resume.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Internet Brands

Worked for Internet Brands? Contribute to the Community!