Intuit Interview Questions in California

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First I talked to the university recruiter, then one technical phone screen with fairly basic programming questions (i was asked fizzbuzz) and some behavioral questions. It was pretty casual and seemed mostly focused on making sure you aren't a schmuck. Then one onsite interview with 3 engineers that was a mix of behavioral and slightly harder technical questions (Fibonacci and its big o). Again it was pretty casual, they wanted to get to know you ask you about the projects you've worked on, what you are interested in, etc. and give you the chance to ask them anything you wanted. make sure to have questions to ask them, because its supposed to be more of a group conversation than them grilling you, and pay attention when they're talking so your questions arent generic.

Interview Questions

• given a time, find the angle between the minute hand and hour hand for that time on an analog clock.   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

just asked a lot of questions about projects, what your role was in each, what your strengths and weaknesses are. i only did the initial phone interview, but i presume there would be a video call if you went past the first round. i had two interviewers

Interview Questions

• what kind of design challenges do you enjoy most?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online over 3+ months ago via the Intuit job portal and waited 3 months before the internal recruiter called me back to see if I was still interested. Then a week later had phone screen with the hiring manager.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
    This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
    Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
    Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
    Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
    First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
    Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
    Third one, same outcome as first question.
    Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
    Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
    At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
    Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one technical, one behavioral. Technical interview included talking about projects on resume, being able to reproduce an algorithm from said projects. Trivia questions based on skillsets/technologies mentioned on resume. Technical question involved implementing the Fibonacci sequence algorithm.

Behavioral question based on reasons why to work at the company, leadership-based questions, culture-fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - asking about very particular git commands.   Answer Question

Group Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed for a position as a group manager at Intuit.
    Pleasant process, had conversations with a series of people that would have been peers and with the manager. Good questions that got to the point of past experience, how to approach some of the upcoming challenges in that role, etc. Was asked to talk about past projects and roles I played, as well as to comment. I got no gimmicky "interview questions", brain teasers or the like.
    Friendly and pleasant people and an environment that seemed like a good place to be.

The company decided this role wasn't a good fit for me, I'm now talking to a different group in the same company about a role that is a better fit.

Only wrinkle was that feedback on interview outcome took longer than expected.

Interview Questions

• No really unexpected or unusual questions. Interviewers were friendly, intelligent, and asked good questions, asking about background, how I would approach certain problems or situations.
      One example was the request to talk about a difficult situation in a specific previous role that was relevant to the position, and how I approached it.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Since I was introduced to Intuit by sort-of-a referral, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on-site interview first thing. I was interviewed by the team I would be working with, which meant five back-to-back 45-minute interviews which each team member. There were four technical interviews, and one behavioral interview. All of my interviewers were very nice, understanding, and encouraging as I went through solving their technical questions. Intuit also provided me with lunch.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Intuit (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

You interviewed with 3 different people. You had two people walk you around and amp you up and make you feel really awesome (good cops) then you have this one bad cop. he comes in and just lays it into you. Funny thing is the bad cop is the only one who gives you any truthful insight about the company. Listen to the bad cop.

Interview Questions

• Can you sell me this pencil?   1 Answer

Senior Java Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intuit (Woodland, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

6 team members interviewed me.
    Questions:
    what is the difference between final, finally and finalizer.
    You have 2 eggs, and climb a 100 floor building. What is the highest floor from which an egg will not break when dropped out of a window from that floor. If an egg is dropped and does not break, it is good and can be dropped again but if an egg is broken you cannot use it anymore.
    The question is: What strategy should you adopt to minimize the number egg drops it takes to find the solution?. What is the Complexity or maximum number of trials.
    Another quetion: How to troubleshoot server crashes - what are you looking for.

Negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Interview

Use a Behavior based interview starting w/ standard character questions. Interviews usually are 3 - 4 hours and involve either several stakeholders and may include a panel. Interviews usually start with a general intro and basic soft ball questions... get progressively more difficult ...

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the best practices/strategies you use for Marketing data analysis and the different methodologies for devising marketing analysis plans.   Answer Question