Intuit Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015

Interview

Easy process. Several telephone interviews. I declined to continue the process after finding out the available schedule for the position. If the schedule would have been better I would have likely taken the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging customer service experience you faced in the past?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

being a masters student, got an interview call from the company after initial scrutiny done by recruiters at college job fair and there were two rounds at interview one of which was behavioral and other was technical interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
    This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
    Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
    Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
    Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
    First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
    Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
    Third one, same outcome as first question.
    Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
    Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
    At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
    Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Intuit (Plano, TX).

Interview

Intuit provided a very comprehensive approach to interviewing to ensure a good fit.Everyone that I encountered was very friendly, seemed happy to be at Intuit, and was very transparent as they shared information.

Interview Questions

• Nothing comes to mind. The interview questions correlated very well to the job. The recruiter did a good job of setting expectations and ensuring a thorough understanding of the job requirements.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First, there were two phone screens. The phone screens asked mostly behavioral and fit questions with a little bit of technical questions. Then there was an onsite interview with four engineers covering both behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• They had their own made-up question that you will never expect, and that question really tested your logic. I don't think I'm allowed to share it here.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one technical, one behavioral. Technical interview included talking about projects on resume, being able to reproduce an algorithm from said projects. Trivia questions based on skillsets/technologies mentioned on resume. Technical question involved implementing the Fibonacci sequence algorithm.

Behavioral question based on reasons why to work at the company, leadership-based questions, culture-fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - asking about very particular git commands.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Intuit in November 2014.

Interview

The hiring and interview process at Intuit was accommodating and professional. The questions that were asked were relatable. The interviewers described the history and culture of the organisation as well as the role that was being applied for. The interviewers answered honestly any questions that was asked. The overall process was insightful, helpful and one that was very enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a situation where a client or customer was not satisfied with the service or product and what did you do to turn the situation around?   Answer Question

The culture that was described at Intuit best suited me as a person and for the development of my career.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (Plano, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online; later emailed resume to a recruiter via a reference; got called to an one-hour interview on the company's University Day in Plano, TX.

The interview includes some basic coding questions, consideration between different data structures for a problem, discussion about things I know or did such as AngularJS, REST/JSON, Java, jQuery, Docker, AWS, DevOps, Linux, shell scripting, distributed computing, scalability, etc.

Interview Questions

• How does Docker improve scalability, distributed computing, efficiency vs. traditional cloud virtual machines   Answer Question

Interviewing with better companies

Group Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Interviewed for a position as a group manager at Intuit.
    Pleasant process, had conversations with a series of people that would have been peers and with the manager. Good questions that got to the point of past experience, how to approach some of the upcoming challenges in that role, etc. Was asked to talk about past projects and roles I played, as well as to comment. I got no gimmicky "interview questions", brain teasers or the like.
    Friendly and pleasant people and an environment that seemed like a good place to be.

The company decided this role wasn't a good fit for me, I'm now talking to a different group in the same company about a role that is a better fit.

Only wrinkle was that feedback on interview outcome took longer than expected.

Interview Questions

• No really unexpected or unusual questions. Interviewers were friendly, intelligent, and asked good questions, asking about background, how I would approach certain problems or situations.
      One example was the request to talk about a difficult situation in a specific previous role that was relevant to the position, and how I approached it.

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intuit in November 2014.

Interview

Behavioral , followed by coding challenge and then interview
    The interview was on Resume and the coding challenge.
    It was done on Google hangout so most time was spent on asking if we could hear each other.
    I wish it was face to face or just phone. It was very distracting

Interview Questions

• One of the coding challenge was to find the top ten TVs from a set of files each of which represents a website and has a list of TVs.   Answer Question