Intuit

3.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit in November 2014.

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
    This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
    Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
    Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
    Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
    First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
    Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
    Third one, same outcome as first question.
    Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
    Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
    At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
    Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit in November 2014.

Two interviews - one technical, one behavioral. Technical interview included talking about projects on resume, being able to reproduce an algorithm from said projects. Trivia questions based on skillsets/technologies mentioned on resume. Technical question involved implementing the Fibonacci sequence algorithm.

Behavioral question based on reasons why to work at the company, leadership-based questions, culture-fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected - asking about very particular git commands.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Use a Behavior based interview starting w/ standard character questions. Interviews usually are 3 - 4 hours and involve either several stakeholders and may include a panel. Interviews usually start with a general intro and basic soft ball questions... get progressively more difficult ...

Interview Questions
    • Describe some of the best practices/strategies you use for Marketing data analysis and the different methodologies for devising marketing analysis plans.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intuit.

Initial phone screen with HR rep then on-campus interview with three members of hiring team. In regards to interview, 30 minutes per individual that included specific technical questions pertaining to entailed job duties.

Literally within half an hour after interview ended, received an offer from HR rep, who indicated "Within his/her tenure at Intuit, they've never seen anything like this and was completely amazed". The HR rep also quoted the interviewing team who stated "They had someone in mind for the position until you came in" etc. It was pretty much best case scenario for any interviewee. The HR rep then gave offer and I requested 1.5% more than what was offered. I figured the worst that can happen is that they don't budge and I'll go with what they offered in the first place. It took a day for the HR rep to get back to me and when they did, it came with an unexpected response... Intuit had rescinded the offer altogether. I went from "The best candidate for the position" to "Not a good fit for the company", all because I tried to negotiate an additional 1.5% salary.

Now imagine if I had given my 2 week notice to my current employer after Intuit's offer, I'd be unemployed because apparently it's Intuit's policy to Indian give employment offers.

Interview Questions
    • Technical accounting/finance questions applicable to month end tasks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Intuit in September 2013.

came in the career fair for co-op opportunities. Took 2 interviews and it was done.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Intuit in July 2013.

phone interview plus 6 rounds 1:1 interviews. People are nice and smart. Interviewers are not directly relates to the position role. But I believe that's way to check if the candidate really fits to group based on the behavioral check and personality.

Interview Questions
    • Give examples which you made a decision and you could not make a decision.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Intuit in July 2013.

Phone screen with HR, phone interview with hiring manager, and then a 5-hour onsite interview with team. The onsite consisted of a portfolio review, a design exercise, and 1x1 interviews with STAR questions.

Most people were very nice and friendly. The design team was aloof and less so.

Intuit recommended showing breadth during the portfolio review. However people were only interested in design work that they could relate to. My advice would be to ignore the portfolio instructions and only bring design pieces which are relevant to the position.

Interview Questions
    • I applied to a Web design opening and got a touchscreen design exercise, which was strange. IMO the exercise was poorly conceived and written as well.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Intuit.

- initial phone call from HR to discuss positions
    - was matched up with a manager and had a phone screen that was about 45 minutes long focused on technical questions
    - the following week, was flown out for an all day interview that consisted of a combination of technical, business, and social questions.
    - there was also a lunch included as well a tour of the facilities

Interview Questions
    • There were a series of questions based on a fictional programming language where you're prompted to create methods based on a series of rules/restrictions. Required ad hoc thinking about how to work within contraints of this made up language. Each subsequent question required expanding further with this language. While the solutions seem very clear after the fact, it was definitely a good mental challenge during that hour.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Intuit in June 2013.

It was an internal referral so all I had was an on-site interview. I spoke with 7 different people from senior engineer to director. The interviews were fairly easy (maybe because it is an internal referral). I spent most of the time talking about my resume and discuss about Intuit's recent move to cloud platform.
    The interview lasted around 6 hours. I got a verbal offer at the same day after my interview. The overall experience is extremely positive. I can't wait to start my new job!

Interview Questions
    The offer is extremely generous. I didn't negotiate.

Desktop Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Intuit in May 2013.

The interview process was straight forward and brief for the most part. It was made clear at the time that this was not a contract to hire position. I would be filling in for a permanent employee who would be transferring from another location.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to take the position even know that there would not be a permanent position available after the contracted time.   View Answer