Intuit Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Aug 18, 2015

3.2

Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA).

Interview

My process started with a couple of calls from the recruiter for initial screening and to schedule next steps. Next, I had a phone interview with one of the team leads. About 1-2 weeks later, I went in for a portfolio review with multiple team members; one-on-one interview with director; and small-group design exercise (all completed in one day, about 4-5 hours total). Overall, the process was very organized and thorough/detailed. The interviewers were all extremely discerning, and it was obvious they were looking for a very strong, specific fit for the role, team and company. My recruiter was wonderful, engaged and extremely helpful throughout the entire process, from the first call until my first day on the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you typically react when people on your team don't agree with your design recommendations?   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Initial phone interview with hiring manager, went fine. 3 days later, received an email from the onsite team to coordinate travel without ever speaking to HR. After speaking with HR, received an email on the case study I was expected to present to CTG (TurboTax) leadership. On day of interview, I presented my case recommendations in the first hour and was immediately told they do not wish to proceed with my candidacy due to not being an "Awesome Product Leader" and told to leave the property. They asked me to travel 8 hrs only to reject me in the first 38 minutes on the interview day? Terribly unprofessional and a waste of money for the company. Would never consider interviewing at Intuit TurboTax in San Diego ever again.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a fairly drawn out process - but organized, and my recruiter was very good with communication. All of the people I interacted with were personable and welcoming. The interview process itself went as follows: 1. Phone screen w/recruiter 2. Hiring Manager (phone) 3. Peer Interview (phone) 4. In person interview consisting of - 75 minute presentation, a 2x1 interview, and 2 separate 1x1 interviews. The only thing I would say I was frustrated with was during all of the in person interviews - there weren't very many formal questions asked. It was very informal (which is great, and relaxing) but there was more emphasis placed on me asking them questions than them asking me questions. And then also the fact that the reason for not getting an offer was lack of experience and specific skills.... when my experience and skills was already covered in prior phone interviews. So that part was difficult. Overall, still a great company and I learned a lot from the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure success of a PM system without using metrics?   Answer Question

Online Testing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Brief phone interview took place first Then got a call to schedule a in office interview. Then interviewed with 4 different people for 30 minutes each. Everyone was prompt and had there questions ready.

Interview Questions

• Personality questions What words describe you Situational questions on how your handle certain difficult scenarios How do you deal with working with people of other cultures when there are language barriers   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

It took 3 months for the recruiter to finally call to set up an on-site interview, after having passed the initial phone screening and SQL skills test. I was also initially told that I was going to interview for a different position. Only after receiving the interview schedule, I realized the different job title which I was way overqualified for. However, I was told not to worry about it. The interviewers seemed very distracted, not everyone attend to the presentation part which they were supposed to attend. One interviewer even seemed to look at my resume for the first time. Also, some of the interviewers asked the exact same questions right after another. Another disturbing point was how the interviewers contradicted themselves and each other, a further evidence to their inconsistency. Another pattern in the Analytics team is a lot of people seem to have worked at the same companies previously, and love to hire people they already know. The interviewers were kind of rude, too, not really telling me about the next steps, nor giving me their business cards. Also, even though I was told I should hear back in 2 days, it took them 2 weeks to get back to me. The recruiter even offered a feedback which was a complete BS, as that contradicted a lot of things they said about my positive performance during the interview. If what they said was true, I could have not had any of the jobs I had nor the academic accomplishments. It was literally an insult!!! Intuit management should have a better handle of the unprofessionalism of their recruiters and hiring managers, as WOM is a powerful tool and will drive down one's brand reputation quickly. None of the interviewers even had a stellar resumes, neither their academic works nor the companies they worked for was impressive unlike the ones you will find in quality companies like Facebook, Google, etc. It looks only nepotism works here. And they do not want to work with smart people who can challenge them or their status quo. It was a very disappointing and disturbing experience overall. I used to think quite differently about this company prior this, now I will never work with such rude and unprofessional people. When they are like this while trying to recruit and hire people, I cannot imagine how horrible it must be as an employee. I would never recommend it to anyone, nor will I ever apply there!

Interview Questions

• You don't seem to be very passionate about analytics!!?? ( I have no idea how he came up with that)   Answer Question

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

just asked a lot of questions about projects, what your role was in each, what your strengths and weaknesses are. i only did the initial phone interview, but i presume there would be a video call if you went past the first round. i had two interviewers

Interview Questions

• what kind of design challenges do you enjoy most?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter. This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day. Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site. Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy. Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all. First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way. Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head. Third one, same outcome as first question. Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out. Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from. At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses. Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions

• All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one technical, one behavioral. Technical interview included talking about projects on resume, being able to reproduce an algorithm from said projects. Trivia questions based on skillsets/technologies mentioned on resume. Technical question involved implementing the Fibonacci sequence algorithm. Behavioral question based on reasons why to work at the company, leadership-based questions, culture-fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - asking about very particular git commands.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process will be in 3 rounds: 1. Telephonic round - Manager and HR 2. Onsite interview - 5 to 6 People - 40 mins each consist of both technical and behavioral questions 3. Final HR round

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Interview

Use a Behavior based interview starting w/ standard character questions. Interviews usually are 3 - 4 hours and involve either several stakeholders and may include a panel. Interviews usually start with a general intro and basic soft ball questions... get progressively more difficult ...

Interview Questions

• Describe some of the best practices/strategies you use for Marketing data analysis and the different methodologies for devising marketing analysis plans.   Answer Question