Intuit

Updated Nov 18, 2014

3.1

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit in November 2014.

Applied on corporate website. Couple of months went by and I was eventually contacted by one of their corporate recruiters who wanted to discuss a different position (QA - which I was not interested in). She was kind enough to hear what I WOULD be interested in instead, and referred me to another corporate recruiter.
This second corporate recruiter reached out to me the next day for a phone call and he told me a lot about the company on a high level, then described their hiring process briefly. Didn't ask any technical questions- just questions about my technical background and interests. He set up a phone interview with one of the hiring managers (a Senior Manager of Software Engineering) for the very next day.
Phone interview with engineering manager went well. No deep technical evaluation- mostly questions about my experience and specific technical knowledge. Mostly high level questions like why I would choose one database platform over another, why I would choose one programming language/framework over another, etc. Then asked me a real rudimentary question about the order of construction when instantiating a subclass C whose parent is B whose parent is A. Then asked similar about destruction order, and "why" things work that way. Easy. At end of call, was told I would probably be invited on site.
Corporate recruiter I had been working with was very communicative, unlike most recruiters I have worked. Over the next couple days as I awaited a formal invite on site, he kept me posted about the progress/delays. In the end, I received my invite after only 3 days- I received a call from an Interview Coordinator on a Tuesday who set up the on site session for the following Friday. On Wednesday, received a formal email-invitation from Coordinator with info on Intuit, agenda, and directions to the office in San Diego. Shortly thereafter, the corporate recruiter sent me an email describing what the interview environment would be like so that I'd be best prepared. He gave me the rundown of what to expect that day- very gracious. He also passed along an online skills test to take any time before the on-site. 4 multiple choice questions, 2 problem-solving. Moderately easy.
Friday came along and I met first with the recruiter, who gave me a tour of the beautiful campus, followed by a few minutes to chat before technical interviews. Technical interview began with the same Senior Mgr who did my phone screen along with a Principal Eng. They had asked me to prepare a presentation of my 2-3 coolest accomplishments. Had some good ones, so I spoke for 25 min. with a PowerPoint presentation. Then, technical questions. 3 in all.
First one, stumbled through, but got solution in the end with some hints along the way.
Second one, was told, "don't worry if you don't get the solution, this is just to see thought process. bonus if you get it". I absolutely nailed that one on the head.
Third one, same outcome as first question.
Then, they left a lot of time for me to ask questions- Even cancelled a meeting to allow me to stay longer to get my questions out.
Afterward, recruiter escorted me out. Told me I'd hear back by Monday (1 business day). Indeed I did- they felt my problem solving skills were not aligned with the role they wanted to fill. I respectfully disagree with that. But, I understand where they are coming from.
At the end of the day, I was treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE along the way, and they gave me every opportunity to succeed- I merely fumbled the ball during the interview process as they presented me with questions that I probably could have solved without "hints" in a less time-constrained environment with less pressure. But that's interviews for you. No excuses.
Only small oddity is that the people who interviewed me didn't even have any idea that I had taken the online skills tests (and therefore didn't even know my results) despite the fact that I was told "everyone has to take this". No big deal.

Interview Questions
  • All questions were around problem-solving with algorithms. First question, interviewer insisted I write it on the white-board, syntactically correct (in Java). Given time constraints and the pressure (yeah, I know, those are both things that were my problem, not theirs), I just wrote out an O(n^2) solution fairly quickly, although ate a lot of time to write compile-ready code on the whiteboard. By the time that was done, interview felt too much time had lapsed so started giving me hints, asking me if I could rewrite it for O(log n) or O(n). Got there eventually, but interviewer literally said, "In the interest of time, here are some hints...". Certainly, with more than a couple of minutes I could have come up with an O(n) solution on my own. The question was only moderately difficult.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Intuit in April 2014.

Applied online. They responded after 2 or 3 weeks. The recruiter was great. He was very friendly but gave me all the information i wanted without stalling. I had a phone interview with the hiring manager. They got back to me after 3 or 4 days asking for my availability for face to face rounds. The second round interviews were all pair programming sessions and they asked some other technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't find anything difficult but they did ask some architectural questions which i didn't answer well.   Answer Question
    I didn't have to negotiate. The package was much better than i expected even when they knew my current salary which was considerably lower.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

It was great...few technical rounds followed my HR round

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit in October 2013.

Recruiter contacted me through linkedin and arranged for a technical discussion. The technical round is usually a call with a webex where couple of technical questions and a small program is asked to be coded.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Design a HTML 5 page to parse JSON data
      2. Couple of basic SQL questions and Data Modelling
      3. Java Programme to find avg sal per employee based on the case given.

Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

interviewed at Intuit in July 2013.

Phone screen from hiring manager was about past projects and about some hi-level nosql concepts.
    1:1 interviews with 5 people. One was at director level about projects/experience and some big data questions regarding uniqueness.
    The 2nd interviewer was an engineer who had a prepared list of java questions. You can find these questions on any java interview preparation site. I got the feeling that at times the interviewer himself did not know what he was asking.
    The 3rd interviewer started off by asking formatting questions ( printf ) in C!
    He then wanted a non-recursive fibonacci implementation in exactly 4 lines and felt that the question was quite clear and needed no discussion. So he left the room for 10 minutes.
    When he came back his version of the solution used one less variable.
    He then followed these questions up with some string manipulation questions and linked list questions.
    The 4th interviewer was an architect and this conversation was the most mature and meaningful of all the interviews I had that day. Questions were around scaling a website, design patterns, building APIs,etc.
    The last interview was with the hiring manager ( whom i had talked to before ). He gave me some vague talk about how they perceived every team member as a leader in his own right.

After all the interviews I got the distinct impression that they were looking for someone with fixed/narrow skills and wanted specific answers to questions. The 2 interviews with the developers were very eye-opening and I was left with the impression that their interviewing skills were too immature/untrained. I also came away feeling there was no career path here and it was every man for himself.

Interview Questions
    • The era of asking printf format specifications has long passed. Any half-competent programmer will figure out these tricks by repeated use of the compiler. I don't understand what is to be gained by asking these kinds of questions. Also having more lines of code for fibonacci does not matter much due to compiler optimizations ( unless of course you are building embedded systems and such ).
      You cannot have questions like these being asked when the position description asks for 8+ years of development experience. At the end of the day, I felt I had wasted time by applying for this position.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Intuit.

- initial phone call from HR to discuss positions
    - was matched up with a manager and had a phone screen that was about 45 minutes long focused on technical questions
    - the following week, was flown out for an all day interview that consisted of a combination of technical, business, and social questions.
    - there was also a lunch included as well a tour of the facilities

Interview Questions
    • There were a series of questions based on a fictional programming language where you're prompted to create methods based on a series of rules/restrictions. Required ad hoc thinking about how to work within contraints of this made up language. Each subsequent question required expanding further with this language. While the solutions seem very clear after the fact, it was definitely a good mental challenge during that hour.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Intuit in May 2013.

Initial 45 min interview, asked to write basic data structure like stack impl, using hashmap, write Fibonacci, Interviewer was mostly quite and felt like forced to interview. Then was called onsite, 5 interviews, 2 with senior developers and 2 staff members. Senior developers were not knowledgeable, staff members asked good puzzle only questions which I could not answer. Interview with product manager was waste of time. Also they do not file GC for Sr Software Engineers in EB2. So beware before you go for interview !

Interview Questions
    • Asked to write code for polynomial additions (3x2 +5x-9)+(6x2-3x+7).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

interviewed at Intuit in April 2013.

It was a webex interview and the interviewer was on time. First questions were about whole IT experience. Then was asked about the recent project and technologies worked on. More emphasis was given to the job description after the projects involved. Then was given three practical questions on java and was asked to code.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were on Inheritance, finding uniqueness, stack and string manipulation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Intuit in April 2012.

Phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled. Took time off from work. However there was no call. Called up the recruiter. She said the hiring manager changed her mind in between. Wonder how she treats her team members.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Intuit in February 2012.

Intuit allows candidates to interview with multiple teams. I interviewed with a number, and the process is relatively similar. 2 phone screens, then onsite. questions are a mix of behavioral and technical.

IMO, dopey phone screen questions like what is an abstract class say NOTHING about the candidates ability to succeed on the job, but its just a part of the game. Its more about are you willing to do some google searches and prepare, than about are you a good engineer.

Interview Questions
    • Just look up top ten X technical questions on Google, where X is algorithms, java, javascript, html, css, behavioral, etc... I know its stupid, but do it anyway because thats what they ask.   Answer Question