Intuit

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Intuit.

Interview Details – Took 5 rounds of interviews. 2 in October and 3 in January. the 1st and last were technical with the last one being quite conceptual. All interviews were phone interviews.

Interview Question – What concepts you don't like about Java? and why?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Intuit

Interview Details – 1. Behavioural round
2. technical round

Interview Question – 1. Design Pattern   View Answer

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Mountain View, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Intuit in March 2012.

Interview Details – I first spoke with Intuit at a campus career fair. The recruiter mentioned that I go to a school that is one of a handful of "Target Schools" for them. We spoke for a good chunk of time and he said he would pass my resume on to HR. It took a while before they got back to me, but I set up a time to talk with them.

The first interview was an hour long and I spent 30 min talking to one recruiter and 30 min talking to another (the second was the same gentleman from the career fair). They said one would be behavioral and the other would be more technical, but both were a little of each. Both were exceedingly nice. They weren't out to trick me, but rather to asses my knowledge.

They just asked general programming questions and then gave a hypothetical situation and asked how I would approach it.

They later got back to me saying that some of the hiring managers were interested in talking with me. We set up a time to speak with 2 separate managers and this was just a pretty straightforward resume review / get to you phone call.

I got a call back about a week later saying they were interested and got a formal offer a few weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe Abstract classes vs Interfaces in Java.   View Answer
  • The second was an abstract problem and I was to describe how / what I would implement.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable salary as an intern

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Software Engineering Intern
Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intuit in April 2012.

Interview Details – Consisted of two 45 min phone interviews. First one was with HR, second one was technical. HR Interview was more of a fit interview. I was asked about my skill sets and background. It's important that you show to HR that you have a passion for computer science & software. I actually interviewed with three different teams because the HR Rep really liked me and wanted to find me a position that suited my background. The technical interview consisted of a lot of java questions and objected oriented design questions. Questions include interfaces, abstract classes, inheritance, polymorphism. Coding question was to write a method that tells whether a string is a palindrome or not.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?   Answer Question
  • When would it be appropriate to use an abstract class, and when would you want to implement an interface rather than extending a class?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, since it is an internship position, there is no negotiation.

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Intuit in March 2011.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair at my college and spoke to a rep for Intuit. The rep actually told me head on that based on my resume, I would make a good candidate for an intern and that I should expect to schedule an interview soon. A few days/weeks later, I get an email to schedule an interview.

At first, the position was for a User Interaction Design internship. However, I asked the recruiter a few times (twice to be exact) if I could interview for the software engineering position instead. The first request went without a reply because she either didn't read it or just ignored it. On the second time I made the request, it was granted, happily even. So I got to interview for the software engineering position.

The day before interview day, I studied up my Java concepts and was more ready than I had ever been for an interview. The first phone call came, and I followed the instructions on the email to log in to an online conference room. The interviewer was very nice and asked pretty much every kind of question related to Java, my language of choice. I answered all of the questions 105% correct - I'm exaggerating, but not really exaggerating.

Then came the online part... In the online conference room, there was an interactive display that allowed writing on certain pages. The purpose of this was to allow me to write some code on the board to respond to some prompts they gave. The problem was that when and where I could write was determined by my interviewer. Well, my interviewer claimed to have had no experience using the interactive display, and because of this, we lost a huge amount of time. Presumably, to write new code related to the prompt's code, the programmer would rely on the prompt's code itself. The code was fairly long, consisting of one or two classes and a function or two, as well as a good number of other things to keep in mind (property names, parameters, etc.). However, writing the code was to be done on a white board page, that could be made available by switching away from the prompt's code. I had to ask my interviewer to change back to the code once or twice, which led to a lot of lost time (also because he had to figure out how to switch back and forth). We ended up skipping the coding questions because it was taking up too much time.

After the first online/phone technical interview, I was to receive a second behavioral phone interview. I thought that this went ok. Nothing special, really. Something memorable was that I made the interviewer laugh (in a good way). My interviewer here was also very nice, I would even go so far as to say he was chill. Before the end of the call, I mentioned that my prior technical interview got messed up because of technical difficulties. He and his colleague (my first interviewer) agreed, but said that it would be up to the staffers/recruiters/whoever handles judging interviews to determine if I would get to redo it or whatever else they could do.

A week or two later, I received an email saying I didn't qualify. Painful...

Interview Question – Java concepts, such as polymorphism, abstract classes vs interfaces, etc..   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Intuit in January 2011.

Interview Details – Its was a very good interview.
Consisting of two rounds.
Technical (1hour)
HR( 1 Hour)

Interview Questions

• Tell us something about your projects ?   View Answer
  • Discuss how will you react under XYZ circustances ?   View Answer

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Intuit in February 2011.

Interview Details – I got a call from a university career fair. There were 2 interviews. questions asked were technical as well as hr.I opted Java as my primary language, so asked questions about Java. General questions about OOP concepts. gave a code to optimize.

Interview Question – How will you make this code readable (given a piece of code)   View Answers (2)

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Intuit in October 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview with webex, which showed slides online. There were a bunch of programming questions on the slide. Questions range from simple algorithm question like finding anagrams to more complicated design questions and debugging questions.

1:1 interview was more of personality test. The interviewer asked mostly about how I resolved a bunch of different issues, which can be technical or non-technical. Talked about my experience in previous internships and jobs. The interviewer and I got into very interesting talk about compilers and agile development process..then we ran out of time. The interviewer liked me and hired me into his team.

Interview Question – Given a string, how do you find a list of anagrams from a english dictionary (or just the dict file in unix)?   View Answer

Intern Software Engineer Interview

Intern Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intuit.

Interview Details – Two HRs called to setup an interview , interview was simple and straight forward, was asked to code transpose of a matrix and fibonacci, and a couple of questions that tested CS fundamentals

Interview Question – How would you decide to add extra servers to a data center.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Intuit

Interview Details – - After career fair contacted by HR
- On-Campus Interview, asking Java Basics, Inheritance, Interface etc..
- Basic coding question including array, linked-list
- Since I had some SQL knowledge, explained joins

-Then phone interview with 2 managers, explaining projects and coding etc...

Interview Question – given node a and b, find the lowest common ancestor (lowest in terms of ancestor that is most close to a and b)   Answer Question