Intuit Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

First I talked to the university recruiter, then one technical phone screen with fairly basic programming questions (i was asked fizzbuzz) and some behavioral questions. It was pretty casual and seemed mostly focused on making sure you aren't a schmuck. Then one onsite interview with 3 engineers that was a mix of behavioral and slightly harder technical questions (Fibonacci and its big o). Again it was pretty casual, they wanted to get to know you ask you about the projects you've worked on, what you are interested in, etc. and give you the chance to ask them anything you wanted. make sure to have questions to ask them, because its supposed to be more of a group conversation than them grilling you, and pay attention when they're talking so your questions arent generic.

Interview Questions

• given a time, find the angle between the minute hand and hour hand for that time on an analog clock.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit.

Interview

Met at a career fair on my campus and was immediately told I would receive a follow up on campus interview. During the interview I was mostly asked coding questions about data structures such as trees and heaps and string parsing, which had to be performed on a white board.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to implement parseInt functionality from Integer class in java; i.e. a function that takes a string as input and converts it into an integer Questions on BST insertion   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Intuit (Rochester, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Two 30-minute interviews. First was behavioral, typical questions about projects and stuff you like to do. I also got tossed some higher level design questions like how to represent a family tree programmatically, and then to describe various cases. The second part was Java-heavy, describe differences in keywords, do some structure manipulation. When I finished after being told I answered everything right, I was told my major made my design views not in line with typical engineers. I disagreed and asked for a chance to prove myself. They called in a manager, asked another question, and kept adding restraints until I couldn't solve it anymore. At this point, I felt like they weren't interested at all and were just making the problem harder to push me out of the interview. I got an arrogant vibe from the technical interviewer, not the first time from what I've heard from Intuit. Their higher ups were very pleasant, but they were unable to give me a clear reason as to why I couldn't move on.

Interview Questions

• Remove an item from a singly linked list. Next: do it with no additional memory usage   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit.

Interview

I talked to them at my university's job fair and was contacted about a week later to schedule an initial 30 minute technical interview. It went pretty well, I was asked things from my resume and small coding questions based on what was from my resume as well (ie. algorithm for Fibonacci sequence, bst, UNIX, etc). I passed that and moved onto a 30-minute behavioral interview about another week later. I heard that normally they do these two back to back, but they did them separately with the technical first in order to interview more people. The behavioral interview asked about leadership experience and teamwork based questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly difficult or unexpected. What could be unexpected are the behavioral questions that are asked, but as long as you prepare some stories of situations you've handled/resolved, it'll be all right.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First, there were two phone screens. The phone screens asked mostly behavioral and fit questions with a little bit of technical questions. Then there was an onsite interview with four engineers covering both behavioral and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• They had their own made-up question that you will never expect, and that question really tested your logic. I don't think I'm allowed to share it here.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Two interviews - one technical, one behavioral. Technical interview included talking about projects on resume, being able to reproduce an algorithm from said projects. Trivia questions based on skillsets/technologies mentioned on resume. Technical question involved implementing the Fibonacci sequence algorithm. Behavioral question based on reasons why to work at the company, leadership-based questions, culture-fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected - asking about very particular git commands.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Intuit (Plano, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online; later emailed resume to a recruiter via a reference; got called to an one-hour interview on the company's University Day in Plano, TX. The interview includes some basic coding questions, consideration between different data structures for a problem, discussion about things I know or did such as AngularJS, REST/JSON, Java, jQuery, Docker, AWS, DevOps, Linux, shell scripting, distributed computing, scalability, etc.

Interview Questions

• How does Docker improve scalability, distributed computing, efficiency vs. traditional cloud virtual machines   Answer Question

Interviewing with better companies

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Intuit (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Since I was introduced to Intuit by sort-of-a referral, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up an on-site interview first thing. I was interviewed by the team I would be working with, which meant five back-to-back 45-minute interviews which each team member. There were four technical interviews, and one behavioral interview. All of my interviewers were very nice, understanding, and encouraging as I went through solving their technical questions. Intuit also provided me with lunch.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Intuit.

Interview

applied through college job fair, received mail saying I was invited to interview, applied online on company website as told. scheduled on campus interview. two interviews, half an hour each, back-to-back interviews, one behavioral and one technical. separate interviewers.

Interview Questions

• The 'coding' problem was super easy but there were some terminology questions that took me by surprise   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Intuit.

Interview

Had two 45 minute interviews (1 behavioral, 1 technical). In the technical question I was asked to write code to filter out "bad words" in a chat screen by replacing the characters in the word with asterisks. The format of the string could be multiple words, spaces and periods between letters/words. You have a list of "bad words" The behavioral interview essentially was just me talking about past experiences and how I handled problems/situations.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't really have to negotiate because it was a really good offer (in my opinion). They have intern housing and pay for all of it. They also have a shuttle that runs between corporate housing and the campus, so I won't need to rent a car. Overall, the relocation package is fantastic along with an extremely reasonable base pay.