Intuit Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

3.1

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Intuit.

Recruiters are horrible. They dont communicate to candidates properly.

Other Interview Reviews for Intuit

Staff Software Engineer Interview

random recruiters call asking for different positions. they arrange interviews. i got thru 2 phone rounds easily. they said they will bring onsite. suddenly gets an email that teams shuffled and the requirement freeze.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Intuit in October 2013.

Very nice interview process. Nice people. They all liked me and felt I am a good fit for a senior software engineer.I really enjoyed the interview. But they could not open up a new req for that position.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare well with what you have in your resume along with debugging production issues, data structures and some problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Intuit in May 2011.

I had 7 interviewers spanning a broad range of job functions and areas of focus (engineers, architects, product managers, directors). One interviewer commented after looking at the schedule that the loop might be uncommonly thorough. They asked me questions around technical ability, prioritization, strategy, and situational leadership.

The group was very transparent about the challenges facing the team (after starting here, I can confirm that what they portrayed is indeed reflective of the situation on the ground). Most of the interviewers were very polished, asking questions that really made me think, truly respecting areas of my experience I was not at liberty to talk about, and ensuring a pretty smooth flow to the conversation. One of my interviewers was a little too blunt with the behavioral interviewing best practices, but this had the hallmarks of someone new to interviewing rather than a serious red flag. I wish the loop had gone deeper on hard technical capabilities, as I felt there were some relevant depth of skillset on coding and design that was not quantified as well as it could have been.

Overall a long, challenging day but very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most challenging (and interesting) question was about a strategy for finding signal in a noisy and poorly understood data set. Asking a software engineer a data science question really stretches the mental muscles.   View Answer
    Negotiation was different from other places I worked in that I was expected to supply the first set of numbers. This is always tricky as you don't want to leave comp on the table but also don't want to turn off an interested team with sky high demands. After that hurdle, I felt that the recruiter actually went to bat for me (as nearly all will say but so few will actually do) in having the comp meet my requirements.

My advice is to have a set of clear, well-grounded comp targets at the start of the negotiations process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intuit in June 2010.

Nice and professional way

Feel Not fit the culture

Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Intuit in January 2010.

Multiple people interview the candidate including Director/VP level.
    Designated Interview building.
    Prefer external candidates over internal.
    Referred by a manager whom I used to work for in a former company.
    Interviews focus and skill set and unlike Google they do not focus on general Math Analytical type of skills.

Interview Questions
    They just paid better than my previous employer.

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Intuit in July 2012.

There was one telephonic round which lasted for 25 minutes. Started with usual introduction and was asked few technical questions.
    I was called for a 1:1 after 4 days. It consisted of 2 technical rounds and one managerial round. I was asked to write programs during the technical rounds which tested the fundamentals of pointers.
    In the initial 10 minutes itself I was sure that I am not doing satisfactorily because it involved writing the actual code and not just outlining the logic was sufficient. The interviewers wanted the fully working code to be written.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to perform string copy using pointers   View Answer
    • Write a function to convert integer to text. Like 44556 should be Forty four thousand five hundred fifty six   View Answer

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Intuit in January 2010.

I was introduced to the company through a hiring firm. I had three interviews with a business manager, a technical lead, and the senior site leader across two days. Questions ranged from logical questions, use of technologies, and those that deal with your own perspective on soft subjects. I also had the opportunity to ask questions about the company and the type of work. It was a fairly smooth process. After these interviews I was called back for another interview within the week and was made an offer to join the company.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interviewer asked about my opinions on guiding a customer through setting up a new software product and how to make it a positive experience. I had never considered how to accomplish this effectively.   Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Intuit in March 2008.

internal referral
    brought me in
    talked to 6 people -- 1 day
    very technical

Interview Questions

Worked for Intuit? Contribute to the Community!