Iowa State University

2.5

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in June 2009.

I applied on-line they called me with in the week to have a phone interview. He asked me some general questions, then we simulated what it would be like talking on the phone to alumni. He asked me why do I think it is important to get people to people to give money to Iowa State.

none

Principal Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Talk with investigator and he know what I can do, then he gave me the offer

no experience, it's fixed

IT Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Met with a couple of managers. They asked a few basic IT questions along with other questions that you would normally see on an ACT exam.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us 5 different things you can do with this paper clip.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in November 2008.

Emailed about a job posting on university job search. Asked for resume and any other relevant info. Met for a 1:1 interview explaining the type of research they do, and what I'd be doing. Asked for the hours I was available. Got an e-mail back within a week asking me to come in for my first day. Very casual, dressed in my normal college student attire, everyone in lab was dressed the same.

Didn't feel the need.

Academic Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Iowa State University in May 2008.

The process is typical for higher education. Start off with a phone interview in which you’re asked what has attracted you to the position. You’re asked a series of written questions about your knowledge of the position. Most often the phone interview is to provide you information and to see what your true interest is in the position. If you’re able to articulate that clearly you make it to the second phase of the process. On campus interview which is a daylong interview meeting with several committees and ending which a presentation on your philosophy of higher education. For the most part only one or two people are going to make the decision.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Iowa State University in April 2008.

Phone interview with a faculty member and then flown in for two days of interviews. The process is pretty standard: meet with faculty both days and give an hour-long seminar to the faculty and graduate students.

Interview Questions
    • Faculty interviews are all about making impressions with the current faculty and convincing them you are a good fit for the department. If you have a hot research area, that's a huge plus.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was more about start up package. I essentially got $350,000 to start up my lab.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2008.

just contacted a professor and show interest in her research area. She offered me research assistant position after looking at my resume.

Interview Questions
    • what kind of research project you were involved in? show me a copy of your paper.   View Answer
    No negotiation, the stipend is known across the department.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2008.

normal college application process for PhD