Iowa State University

2.5

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Iowa State University.

Hiring process consisted of an initial phone interview with the VP. Subsequently invited for an onsite interview, which involved key executives from different areas of the organization--started with VP and ended with VP. Invited back for a third group interview with the individuals whom I would be supervising.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were standard fare, plus a lot of questions intended to measure whether there would be a cultural fit--one big happy team vs silos & importance of transparency.   Answer Question
    there was a little give on my compensation package & did receive a salary within my asking range.

Call Center Student Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Iowa State University in April 2013.

Applied on the university job board and was contacted for a 2 tier interview process, once on phone and the other in person.

Interview Questions
    • 'What according to you is good customer service?'   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in November 2012.

I sent my cover letter about the postdoc position. And after I got email back from my PI, I had a conference call with my PI. My PI asked me my background and my experiences in detail. After then, my PI introduced what this position was supposed to do in the current project. My PI asked me again about my feeling and how I could do this. So I think I answered quiet well.

Interview Questions
    • What is your future plan in US? What if you get a trouble with your team members?   Answer Question

Student Services Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Iowa State University in July 2012.

I applied for the position on the ISU website. It was more than a month before I heard a word from anyone at the University. Received a phone call to see if I was still available & interested in the position. Since I was they wanted to know where I expected to be salary-wise, to make sure that continuing the process wouldn't be a waste of both of our time. My demand was compatible with what they had available, so was told to expect a call to schedule an interview, which I did a week later. My interview finally took place a few days shy of 2 months after I originally applied for the position. Actually consisted of a 3 hour series of interviews with a total of 10 people: 1 on 1 with the department director, then a panel of several of the department staff, then with a few members of faculty & staff from other areas of the college, 1 on 1 with an associate dean, then back with the department director again. Mostly it seemed that everyone's goal was to see if I was a good fit. Didn't get many questions regarding technical abilities. More about why I wanted to work in an academic setting, what areas of my private sector experience would translate well, etc.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think would be your biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question
    Negotiation isn't really an option. The HR department authorizes a certain amount, generally within the lower 1/3 for that slot in the pay scale. That's what you get.

Structural Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in February 2012.

I was contacted by the Lab manager and asked to come into his office at a curtain date to discuss the job. After arriving, I had a short discussion with him about my past experience and how many hours I could work each week. Also, I had to read a short booklet on safety in the lab.

I accepted right away.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Iowa State University in November 2010.

It was not long enough: only minutes. I did not have enough time to answer the questions they raised. Too rush.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do in the past in teaching that you would want to change and why?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Iowa State University in August 2010.

I emailed a professor with whom I was interested in working. After discussing possible research projects and identifying where our interests overlapped, I was selected for the position. The interview process was informal as much was determined via email before meeting in person.

Interview Questions
    • N/A. The initial step of identifying and approaching a professor was most difficult.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation regarding pay or benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in April 2010.

Started with an online skype interview and got selected as i have good CV to support necessary research credentials for performing this job. Basic questions on behavior and problem solving abilities

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Sent an email to the professor. No interview needed. Looked at my grade in the class and hired me on the spot.

None.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Tell me about youself