Iowa State University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Iowa State University in April 2010.

Interview Details – Started with an online skype interview and got selected as i have good CV to support necessary research credentials for performing this job. Basic questions on behavior and problem solving abilities

Interview Question – NA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Iowa State University in November 2012.

Interview Details – I sent my cover letter about the postdoc position. And after I got email back from my PI, I had a conference call with my PI. My PI asked me my background and my experiences in detail. After then, my PI introduced what this position was supposed to do in the current project. My PI asked me again about my feeling and how I could do this. So I think I answered quiet well.

Interview Question – What is your future plan in US? What if you get a trouble with your team members?   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Senior Director
Ames, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Iowa State University.

Interview Details – Hiring process consisted of an initial phone interview with the VP. Subsequently invited for an onsite interview, which involved key executives from different areas of the organization--started with VP and ended with VP. Invited back for a third group interview with the individuals whom I would be supervising.

Interview Question – Most questions were standard fare, plus a lot of questions intended to measure whether there would be a cultural fit--one big happy team vs silos & importance of transparency.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was a little give on my compensation package & did receive a salary within my asking range.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Call Center Student Associate Interview

Call Center Student Associate
Ames, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Iowa State University in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on the university job board and was contacted for a 2 tier interview process, once on phone and the other in person.

Interview Question – 'What according to you is good customer service?'   View Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant
Ames, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Interview Details – Sent an email to the professor. No interview needed. Looked at my grade in the class and hired me on the spot.

Negotiation Details – None.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Ames, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Iowa State University in January 2008.

Interview Details – just contacted a professor and show interest in her research area. She offered me research assistant position after looking at my resume.

Interview Question – what kind of research project you were involved in? show me a copy of your paper.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the stipend is known across the department.

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Iowa State University in April 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interview with a faculty member and then flown in for two days of interviews. The process is pretty standard: meet with faculty both days and give an hour-long seminar to the faculty and graduate students.

Interview Question – Faculty interviews are all about making impressions with the current faculty and convincing them you are a good fit for the department. If you have a hot research area, that's a huge plus.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was more about start up package. I essentially got $350,000 to start up my lab.

Student Services Specialist I Interview

Student Services Specialist I
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Iowa State University in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on the ISU website. It was more than a month before I heard a word from anyone at the University. Received a phone call to see if I was still available & interested in the position. Since I was they wanted to know where I expected to be salary-wise, to make sure that continuing the process wouldn't be a waste of both of our time. My demand was compatible with what they had available, so was told to expect a call to schedule an interview, which I did a week later. My interview finally took place a few days shy of 2 months after I originally applied for the position. Actually consisted of a 3 hour series of interviews with a total of 10 people: 1 on 1 with the department director, then a panel of several of the department staff, then with a few members of faculty & staff from other areas of the college, 1 on 1 with an associate dean, then back with the department director again. Mostly it seemed that everyone's goal was to see if I was a good fit. Didn't get many questions regarding technical abilities. More about why I wanted to work in an academic setting, what areas of my private sector experience would translate well, etc.

Interview Question – What do you think would be your biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation isn't really an option. The HR department authorizes a certain amount, generally within the lower 1/3 for that slot in the pay scale. That's what you get.

Structural Lab Assistant Interview

Structural Lab Assistant
Ames, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Lab manager and asked to come into his office at a curtain date to discuss the job. After arriving, I had a short discussion with him about my past experience and how many hours I could work each week. Also, I had to read a short booklet on safety in the lab.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I accepted right away.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Ames, IA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in January 2008.

Interview Details – normal college application process for PhD

Negotiation Details – no

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Iowa State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iowa State University interview questions and advice in Ames, IA. All 17 interview reviews posted anonymously by Iowa State University employees and interview candidates.