Iowa State University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 22, 2014

2.5

Structural Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in February 2012.

I was contacted by the Lab manager and asked to come into his office at a curtain date to discuss the job. After arriving, I had a short discussion with him about my past experience and how many hours I could work each week. Also, I had to read a short booklet on safety in the lab.

I accepted right away.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Iowa State University in November 2010.

It was not long enough: only minutes. I did not have enough time to answer the questions they raised. Too rush.

Interview Questions
    • What did you do in the past in teaching that you would want to change and why?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Iowa State University in August 2010.

I emailed a professor with whom I was interested in working. After discussing possible research projects and identifying where our interests overlapped, I was selected for the position. The interview process was informal as much was determined via email before meeting in person.

Interview Questions
    • N/A. The initial step of identifying and approaching a professor was most difficult.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation regarding pay or benefits.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in April 2010.

Started with an online skype interview and got selected as i have good CV to support necessary research credentials for performing this job. Basic questions on behavior and problem solving abilities

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Sent an email to the professor. No interview needed. Looked at my grade in the class and hired me on the spot.

None.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Tell me about youself

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in June 2009.

I applied on-line they called me with in the week to have a phone interview. He asked me some general questions, then we simulated what it would be like talking on the phone to alumni. He asked me why do I think it is important to get people to people to give money to Iowa State.

none

Principal Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Talk with investigator and he know what I can do, then he gave me the offer

no experience, it's fixed

IT Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Met with a couple of managers. They asked a few basic IT questions along with other questions that you would normally see on an ACT exam.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us 5 different things you can do with this paper clip.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Iowa State University in November 2008.

Emailed about a job posting on university job search. Asked for resume and any other relevant info. Met for a 1:1 interview explaining the type of research they do, and what I'd be doing. Asked for the hours I was available. Got an e-mail back within a week asking me to come in for my first day. Very casual, dressed in my normal college student attire, everyone in lab was dressed the same.

Didn't feel the need.