Iowa State University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Services Specialist I Interview

Student Services Specialist I
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Iowa State University in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on the ISU website. It was more than a month before I heard a word from anyone at the University. Received a phone call to see if I was still available & interested in the position. Since I was they wanted to know where I expected to be salary-wise, to make sure that continuing the process wouldn't be a waste of both of our time. My demand was compatible with what they had available, so was told to expect a call to schedule an interview, which I did a week later. My interview finally took place a few days shy of 2 months after I originally applied for the position. Actually consisted of a 3 hour series of interviews with a total of 10 people: 1 on 1 with the department director, then a panel of several of the department staff, then with a few members of faculty & staff from other areas of the college, 1 on 1 with an associate dean, then back with the department director again. Mostly it seemed that everyone's goal was to see if I was a good fit. Didn't get many questions regarding technical abilities. More about why I wanted to work in an academic setting, what areas of my private sector experience would translate well, etc.

Interview Question – What do you think would be your biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation isn't really an option. The HR department authorizes a certain amount, generally within the lower 1/3 for that slot in the pay scale. That's what you get.

Very Easy Interview

Structural Lab Assistant Interview

Structural Lab Assistant
Ames, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in February 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Lab manager and asked to come into his office at a curtain date to discuss the job. After arriving, I had a short discussion with him about my past experience and how many hours I could work each week. Also, I had to read a short booklet on safety in the lab.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I accepted right away.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Ames, IA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in January 2008.

Interview Details – normal college application process for PhD

Negotiation Details – no

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Ames, IA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Iowa State University in January 2010.

Interview Details – Tell me about youself

Interview Question – explain something in your paper   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

IT Support Analyst Interview

IT Support Analyst
Ames, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Interview Details – Met with a couple of managers. They asked a few basic IT questions along with other questions that you would normally see on an ACT exam.

Interview Question – Tell us 5 different things you can do with this paper clip.   Answer Question

Principal Investigator Interview

Principal Investigator
Ames, IA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in May 2009.

Interview Details – Talk with investigator and he know what I can do, then he gave me the offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no experience, it's fixed

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ames, IA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Iowa State University in November 2010.

Interview Details – It was not long enough: only minutes. I did not have enough time to answer the questions they raised. Too rush.

Interview Question – What did you do in the past in teaching that you would want to change and why?   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant
Ames, IA

The process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in November 2008.

Interview Details – Emailed about a job posting on university job search. Asked for resume and any other relevant info. Met for a 1:1 interview explaining the type of research they do, and what I'd be doing. Asked for the hours I was available. Got an e-mail back within a week asking me to come in for my first day. Very casual, dressed in my normal college student attire, everyone in lab was dressed the same.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't feel the need.

Academic Adviser Interview

Academic Adviser
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Iowa State University in May 2008.

Interview Details – The process is typical for higher education. Start off with a phone interview in which you’re asked what has attracted you to the position. You’re asked a series of written questions about your knowledge of the position. Most often the phone interview is to provide you information and to see what your true interest is in the position. If you’re able to articulate that clearly you make it to the second phase of the process. On campus interview which is a daylong interview meeting with several committees and ending which a presentation on your philosophy of higher education. For the most part only one or two people are going to make the decision.

Interview Question – How do you work with people different than yourself?   Answer Question

Student Fundraiser Interview

Student Fundraiser
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Iowa State University in June 2009.

Interview Details – I applied on-line they called me with in the week to have a phone interview. He asked me some general questions, then we simulated what it would be like talking on the phone to alumni. He asked me why do I think it is important to get people to people to give money to Iowa State.

Interview Question – Why is it important to give to Iowa State?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none