Iowa State University Student Services Specialist I Interview Questions

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Student Services Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Iowa State University in July 2012.

I applied for the position on the ISU website. It was more than a month before I heard a word from anyone at the University. Received a phone call to see if I was still available & interested in the position. Since I was they wanted to know where I expected to be salary-wise, to make sure that continuing the process wouldn't be a waste of both of our time. My demand was compatible with what they had available, so was told to expect a call to schedule an interview, which I did a week later. My interview finally took place a few days shy of 2 months after I originally applied for the position. Actually consisted of a 3 hour series of interviews with a total of 10 people: 1 on 1 with the department director, then a panel of several of the department staff, then with a few members of faculty & staff from other areas of the college, 1 on 1 with an associate dean, then back with the department director again. Mostly it seemed that everyone's goal was to see if I was a good fit. Didn't get many questions regarding technical abilities. More about why I wanted to work in an academic setting, what areas of my private sector experience would translate well, etc.

Interview Questions
  • What do you think would be your biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question
Negotiation isn't really an option. The HR department authorizes a certain amount, generally within the lower 1/3 for that slot in the pay scale. That's what you get.