Iowa State University
www.iastate.edu Ames, IA 5000+ Employees

Iowa State University Student Services Specialist I Interview Questions & Reviews

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Services Specialist I Interview

Student Services Specialist I
Ames, IA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Iowa State University in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on the ISU website. It was more than a month before I heard a word from anyone at the University. Received a phone call to see if I was still available & interested in the position. Since I was they wanted to know where I expected to be salary-wise, to make sure that continuing the process wouldn't be a waste of both of our time. My demand was compatible with what they had available, so was told to expect a call to schedule an interview, which I did a week later. My interview finally took place a few days shy of 2 months after I originally applied for the position. Actually consisted of a 3 hour series of interviews with a total of 10 people: 1 on 1 with the department director, then a panel of several of the department staff, then with a few members of faculty & staff from other areas of the college, 1 on 1 with an associate dean, then back with the department director again. Mostly it seemed that everyone's goal was to see if I was a good fit. Didn't get many questions regarding technical abilities. More about why I wanted to work in an academic setting, what areas of my private sector experience would translate well, etc.

Interview Question – What do you think would be your biggest challenge in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation isn't really an option. The HR department authorizes a certain amount, generally within the lower 1/3 for that slot in the pay scale. That's what you get.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Iowa State University

Worked for Iowa State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iowa State University Student Services Specialist I interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Iowa State University employees and interview candidates.