Iowa Western Community College

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Professor Interview

Associate Professor
Council Bluffs, IA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Iowa Western Community College.

Interview Details – My interview was a long time ago, but I only met with the Program Chair and the Dean at the time. It was a cordial interview. Since my hiring, I've served on three or four search committees, for both faculty and deans. One was a search committee for a Dean, and it was a large committee comprising of faculty from the division as well as the other Deans from the college, and the VP for Academic Affairs. Another committee was for a program chair (not in my program, but a program that worked closely with us), and it was a committee comprised of faculty from a couple of programs, the Arts Center Director, and a couple of Deans. Another was a committee to find a new faculty member for our program, in which I participated along with the Program Chair and the Dean. It all varies now by program and division, but an addition now is that prospective faculty have to meet with the HR Director, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the College President after the choice has been made and the offer finalized, which was not the case when I was first hired.

Interview Question – If you could use a book to explain your teaching philosophy, what book would it be?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The former HR director was a stingy person. They tried to lowball the offer, and when I tried to bring it up, they said the limit was something half way between their lowball offer and my asking salary. I had to take a small pay cut to take this position.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Iowa Western Community College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iowa Western Community College interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Iowa Western Community College employees and interview candidates.