Ipreo

Relevance Date Difficulty

Product Analyst Interview

Product Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ipreo in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a voicemail from HR. I called them back and had a discussion about the position, and it basically turned into a phone interview about the position, what I was looking for, and why I was interested. At the end of the call, we set up a time for an interview the following week.

A few days later, I head to their office in midtown Manhattan. I'll break it down into 5 interviews, and I'm purposely putting them in random order.

1. I met with HR and she took me to a room to have another quick interview and answer any questions. I had several prepared beforehand and she did a good job of answering them. I would ask these same questions to all the other interviewers.

2. 1 on 1 with Product Manager #1
This was an Indian guy that didn't smile at all. It was more like an interrogation than a conversation. He asked me what the position was that I was applying for and what I'd be doing in it. I wasn't sure if he was screwing with me or being serious, but I basically summarized the job ad. It turns out the job ad wasn't even accurate as he said the position didn't require any SQL. Wow.

He then questioned why I did things a certain way at a previous company I worked at. He asked me about what I thought the product was that I would be working on at Ipreo, what SDLC is, and if I've written business requirements. He also asked about the equity capital markets process, and whether I knew who was the lead bank for the Facebook IPO. Luckily I knew the answer for that (Morgan Stanley). He cut me off a few times and basically set an uncomfortable tone throughout the whole process. At the end of the interview, he asked me a brain teaser for "fun". It was about as fun as getting stabbed. He basically just seemed unfriendly. He's the kind of guy that you probably couldn't get a beer with even if he offered to pay.

3. 2 on 1 interview with a manager and analyst.
It was a lady and dorky guy. They asked me basic questions on my background and work history, they asked the "what is your greatest weakness?" question, and they asked me what my biggest strength is. It went on for quite awhile, but it was generally pretty straightforward.

4. 1 on 1 with Product Analyst
This was a big nerdy guy. He asked me what I knew about the equity capital markets process, and also lots of basic interview questions. He also asked me things like my favorite movie, my favorite band, etc. He asked me two brain teasers as well. I got one right and the other half right.

5. 1 on 1 with Product Manager #2
This guy was the complete opposite of the other product manager. He sat down and basically said he wanted to have an easygoing chat. I got most of the usual interview questions including many that I already answered in the 2 on 1, and he also asked if I could do anything, what would it be. Also, what motivates you?

HR said the next step would be a second round with managing directors. There was no second round offered.

The company interviews like they want to be some top tier investment bank or Google/MSFT. Brain teasers are annoying and it really doesn't prove anything, even though I got some right. It seems like they want an exact best fit but aren't willing to pay since the position starts out at about $43,000 BEFORE taxes which is nothing in Manhattan. Everyone says they work really hard there and have to come in on weekends, but then why do I see some office workers just surfing the internet and chatting? Is it long hours and hard work or isn't it?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the equity capital markets process.   View Answers (2)
  • How many pennies would fill up this room?   View Answer
  • There's a penny in a bottle. You can't pull the cork out or break the bottle. How do you get the penny out?   View Answer
  • Describe to me what the position is that you're applying for.   View Answer
  • You're trapped in a cube and you need to move from the bottom left corner to the top right corner on the opposite side. You can't fly through space. Draw a line showing the shortest distance to get there.   View Answer

Product Analyst Interview

Product Analyst

Interviewed at Ipreo

Interview Details – Interviewed with three team members of the fixed income team including the director. Interviews were more of a discussion of the position and its responsibilities, also reviewed my resume and touch on past occupations.

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Worked for Ipreo? Contribute to the Community!