Isilon, A Division of EMC

24 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through other source and interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC.

Interview Details – It was easy related to my experience. there were 4 interview. Interview was done in one day and next day they replied me with result. Very friendly atmosphere. not much to say..............

Hardware Quality and Reliability Manager Interview

Hardware Quality and Reliability Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very basic interview with a few coworkers. Hiring manager did not explain much of organization mostly focused on group. The interview process is pretty quick with the expectation that you can explain how you will fulfill the role. Dress in business casual, no suits. Understand the culture going in.

Negotiation Details – Tried to negotiate extra vacation but was told I couldn't by hiring manager but have since learned that HR will do it.

Software Manager Interview

Software Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. I should say this about the recruiter - he was the most professional and helpful recruiter I have ever come across in the tech industry. He truly wants to help you navigate the interview process and will go out his way to let you know before hand what to expect from the interview and what to focus on for your preparations. Very quick follow-up and communication throughout. A big kudos to the recruiter.

My interview consisted of 1 phone screen and 1 offline coding interview (basically you are given a problem and asked to submit your code to the problem by mail). After these 2 rounds, I was invited to an on-site. Again fantastic coordination by the recruiter and his support staff to make sure you are well taken care of during the travel and accommodation in Seattle.

The on-site consisted of 6 rounds of interview (including a lunch interview with the hiring manager). The first 2 were primarily technical with coding problems needed to be solved on the white board. Thing to say about SW manager position - they expect that you are strong in coding/technical aspects as well. Prepare well for data structures and algorithm questions - trees, BST, dynamic programming, recursion, arrays etc.

The next 4 rounds were with management staff including director. I found most of them very well informed and passionate about their work. One of the managers though was a little unclear on what he was looking for in a candidate and just asked random questions based on whatever you tell - I would have definitely not wanted to work for this guy. Other than that, most of them were very professional and courteous and loved the technology they have at Isilon.

Interview Question – Managerial question - Have you ever fired anyone? (I answered NO and gave my thoughts on it. Obviously like any other question, there is no right or wrong answer here, but make sure you explain your perspective well.

Technical question - Given an integer array, find pair of numbers such that X > Y and X occurs earlier than Y in the array.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in July 2013.

Interview Details – On a phone screen, I was asked by the lead technical writer if I was familiar with "minimalist" writing techniques. From there I went to an in person interview. I met with three people; a Technical Writing lead, a team manager and a developer, individually. No hot-boxing or intimidation techniques. Nobody trying to make you uncomfortable. The lead made my resume the centerpiece of the interview (you never know whether they are going to ask you more about what's on your resume or whether they just want to interview you. That's a crap-shoot). The first question was: what were my "processes", a vague question for a newbie, but for an experienced writer, they expect you to be able to wax lyrical on what you do when you get to the job, the first day, that is, how do you orient yourself? Do you know what to do? Can you work independently? There was also a question about my experience of Scrum, to describe Scrum, its process. The lead seemed surprised with my information, like he didn't know what Scrum was himself.

Interview Question – While not exactly unexpected, the manager asked me: "What is your idea of ideal documentation? What does that look like to you?". The purpose of the question was clearly: "Do you know your craft?". The developer explained a new NAS feature of their operating system, called Deduplication, and told me beforehand that after he had explained it, he wanted me to explain it back to him. (which was like asking me to play close attention and so I did pay close attention and was able to explain it back almost completely correctly. It's very easy to mis-state things using a similar but inaccurate word). He also asked me what I would do, documentation-wise if, at the last minute of the publishing cycle, they decided to include a new change to a feature, but there wasn't time to include it, because the manual was in the process of being published. I said I would include the new feature in release notes at the next available opportunity. He seemed satisfied with that answer. He wanted to know also what coding experience I had. I showed him some PHP scripts I had written. He seemed satisfied with that, and didn't ask further questions on programming. No whiteboarding. (It wasn't a programming gig as such).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable

Engineering Manager Interview

Engineering Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in November 2013.

Interview Details – What a waste of my time! After five months and eight interviews, they finally told me that no offer would be coming. The recruiters have absolutely no respect for your time- they will promise to call at a specific time, then call a day or 2 later. Cool people in the engineering teams, but the weakest part of the company is their recruiting process and staff. It has been a long time since I felt so violated by an interview process.

Interview Question – What would you do if you couldn't do engineering any longer?   Answer Question

Solutions Marketing Intern Interview

Solutions Marketing Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in June 2013.

Interview Details – Relatively short interview process, nothing too aggressive and the interviewers were easy to talk to.

Interview Question – Nothing startlingly difficult or out-of-the-ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I don't believe the interns are given the opportunity to negotiate, though I could be wrong.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC

Interview Details – Applied through the career fair, did the on campus interview and after that never heard back from them.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC.

Interview Details – Applied online. A call with recruiter, 2 phone screens, got to on site interview. Had a total of 4 rounds of technical one on ones. First 2 went fine. Last 2 were with people who had made up their minds before it started. Of the bad ones, the 1st guy was as vague as can be with his questions, kept checking his phone while I replied and wouldn't let me finish my answers, will start on with next question. He was a bit rude and tried to find fault in almost all of my responses, even with ones that were right. Questions were very theoretical. I thought that that round went bad, but the worst was yet to come. The final round was with a guy who has a PhD, he mentioned that quite a few times, during the interview. He started critiquing my resume and pointed out things that I should change. He was very vague, loud, rude and arrogant. He wouldn't let me finish my answers either. Oh, and according to him, he sleeps and wakes up in code, so I had to be careful with what I say.

Once it clearly goes from going good to going bad, probably means they have made up their mind. Don't waste your time and energy after that, bid adieu, which I should have done. In retrospect, some of the mistakes obviously fall on me, but their entire approach to the interview is not justified.

Interview Question – Binary Search Tree insert and given n find different structural possibilities of a normal binary tree. The PhD guy asked a queue question and only he and God knows what he was expecting for a response.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in October 2013.

Interview Details – They were on campus at a career fair. I handed in my resume there and received a call that night. The interviews were also held on campus. I interviewed with 3 people one at a time for about an hour each. Almost all the questions were technical. Afterwards It took about two weeks to hear back.

Interview Question – Given a binary search tree find the nth highest number.   View Answer

Technical Communication (Writer Or Editor) Interview

Technical Communication (Writer Or Editor)
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Isilon, A Division of EMC in June 2013.

Interview Details – Several phone interviews, coffee with the person to whom my potential manager reports to, day of interviews (about 5), with manager and team members. Most of the people I talked to were folks I think I would enjoy working with; the only one I was concerned about was the manager.

Interview Question – How would you change procedures, etc. in the department if you were hired?   View Answer

Worked for Isilon, A Division of EMC? Contribute to the Community!