Islands Restaurants

Interviews for Top Jobs at Islands Restaurants

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Islands Restaurants.

Seen add on Craigslist said come in fill out application with on spot interviews
    Did so interview with trainer passed information over to regional manager and set up interview with him before i left.
    Meet with manager things went good said to call and check in did so and he offered me a position.

Interview Questions
    Just go for it! Great fun place give it a shot!

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan Beach, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in October 2013.

Meet with an available manager on the spot. Then second interview with General Manager. Then you get your "YES" call.

Interview Questions
    • My most difficult thing was remembering the random times given to come in.   Answer Question

Hostess/Server Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Islands Restaurants.

I've been employed at Islands for the past 6 years. I first went to the restaurant to pick up an application and was told by the hostess to return any day from Mon-Thurs between the hours of 2-4 so that I could speak to a manager. I filled out the app and returned during those times and spoke to a manager who shook my hand and asked a couple of basic questions. Then told me that they'd call me later. Soon enough I received a phone call to schedule an interview. At the interview I spoke with a trainer who asked me some background questions and was really friendly. Afterward she scheduled me to come back and have an interview with the store manager a few days later. The interview with the manager contained more probing questions about my experience, why I wanted to work for Islands, and what I felt I could contribute to the company, etc. I don't remember if I was offered the job on the spot or if I received a call later, but I got the job and started as a hostess. There was an orientation, then training with an experienced host for a few days before I was finally "on the floor" without a trainer. I quickly moved up from hostess, to backserver and take-out at the same time within a few months. A few months after that I moved up to server where I stayed for the next 5 1/2 years.

A bit of info to those who want to become employed as a server to make tips: Everyone starts as a host, everyone. To make it to server you have to work hard, be dedicated, and pester the managers as often as possible for your "server packet" which you can study to prepare yourself for the test to become a server. The job is really very easy, the hours are short and flexible, and you make pretty good money in return. It's really the perfect job for college students, which is what most of the employees working there are.

No negotiation. Minimum wage as your base pay. Then you get tips from customers when you get to take-out and server.

Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Islands Restaurants in September 2011.

It was short and simple. Easy questions.

Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Agoura Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Agoura Hills, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in March 2010.

I walked in asking if I could apply as a host, the server was kind and got me an application. I followed up and got an interview, at which time the General Manager, who was a nice, up-front guy, sat down with me and asked some basic questions. He also asked situational questions, asking what I would do if certain scenarios came up while I was working.

Interview Questions
    • If you guide a new customer to a seat in the proper server's section, but the customer asks to sit elsewhere in the restaurant, in a different server's section, where should you sit them?   View Answer
    No real negotiation, hosts start at minimum wage.

Busboy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in June 2009.

Was called in to talk to the managers. Talked to the head manager one one one. He asked me basic questions about my previous experiance.

None

Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in September 2008.

My girlfriend had worked for Islands and i felt that it might be a good fit for me. She went about recommending me to her managers and i opted to work at another location. It was there that I met with a manager that she had previously worked for and filled out an application, while i was there they offered me an interview, and I accepted. the whole process was very pleasant, mainly focusing on me describing my leadership skills and ability to take initiative. by the end, the job was offered to me.

Hourly Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in June 2012.

I went in dressed in a white button-down shirt (1/2 sleeves), black pants, and black flats. I asked the host for an application, filled it out, and asked to speak with a manager when I turned it in. The manager came out, took a look at my application, and asked me two questions:

"What do you do in your spare time?"
    "What's your favorite restaurant?"

I answered honestly as if I was making small talk with another person, and I think I kind of forgot to gear my answers toward the business. The manager said that if I didn't get a call in two days, they probably weren't hiring. Considering how nervous I was (first interview ever!) and how I answered the questions, I knew right then and there that I blew it. Oh, well. Now I know better for next time.

Host Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Islands Restaurants in January 2009.

In the initial interview they asked about your prior experience. If you make the cut, they call you back for a second interview with a manager. The second manager asks about how you stepped up in certain situations at work. They want to know if you have initiative and if you have the work ethic needed, Afterwards, if you make the cut you interview with the general manager.