Ivy Tech Community College Interview Questions

Updated Jul 16, 2015

2.4

IT Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valparaiso, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College (Valparaiso, IN).

Interview

in a room with about 12 people all taking turns asking questions , people from all of the departments , even a couple office people, the dean of the college walked in late with a couple questions also

Interview Questions

• many types of questions from knowledge of IT / Computers / printers and Network. to how would you handle a rude student . or staff member   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

Not sure, only one interview, possibly others were brought back. Very guarded in feedback--would not provide any, even after candidate was selected. Finally received a call that someone else was selected, but this was one week after promised, told not to call, that they would. Traditional qualifications for professorship were seemingly unimportant, possibly already had someone in mind and were just going through the necessary steps.

Humanities Adjunct Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

discuss previous teaching experience, discuss hours, dates, standard questions for teaching experience, discuss type of student, etc, etc, etc, discuss previous teaching experience, discuss hours, dates, standard questions for teaching experience, discuss type of student, etc, etc, etc

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

Considerate questions and insightful explanations of job requirements. Honest assessment of workload. Gave a chance to ask questions. Job not guaranteed for long-term. Showed explanation of job. Eventually, the job may be gone due to fund limitations.

Interview Questions

• Would you be available at a variety of times? Are you able to do extensive data entry?   Answer Question

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2014.

Interview

It is a one on one interview between you and the program chair. First you need to give a 15 min mock teaching session. The syllabus of the course was sent to you before the interview and you choose one of the topics. Then you will answer some questions about your teaching experiences, teaching philosophy, your knowledge of the college, etc. The whole process lasts about 1h.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one of your favorite teachers in the past and why you like him/her. How do you hear about Ivy tech and what do you know about Ivy Tech?   Answer Question

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

The interview was relaxed. There was a panel of four managers asking questions regarding the position and how my experience related. They let me know what to expect after the interview. Three weeks after the first interview, I was invited to interview with the Chancellor. He made the offer during the second interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was little negotiating. The pay was non negotiable. They were flexible on start date.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College in August 2014.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview 1 week after I applied. The first interview was a panel interview consisting of 4 people. They each asked about 2 questions. Luckily, I was very prepared. They asked mostly situational questions. It lasted about half an hour. I was called the next day for the second round interview. This interview was with 2 people. They asked more situational questions and questions relating more to the position.

Interview Questions

• If they made a movie about your life, who would play you and what would the title be?   Answer Question

Parttime Employee Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

The interview is good. People were friendly to me. They asked the basic questions. The whole process took four weeks. I emailed the HR three or times to check the process.

Faculty Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

I emailed the department chair about a year before out of interest in such a position and we kept in contact when the Faculty Fellow position opened up. Then I applied online and received a phone call invitation to interview about 2-3 months later (we exchanged emails several times during this time as well). I was given instructions to prepare a 30-minute teaching lesson over a specific topic in my field (they told me exactly what topic to teach). The atmosphere of the interview was more laid back than expected. 4 people interviewed me, taking turns asking specific questions they had printed in front of them. All were very nice and interactive during this time. Mostly expected questions: what qualifies you? How does Ivy Tech fit into your goals? Share 3 strengths? What are your personal interests? Give an example of a difficult time teaching, how did you resolve an issue/ change? Have you taught older students before? Are you involved in the community? I did draw many of my answers from my philosophy of teaching statement and other past teaching experience. Additional information: I brought in student evaluation comments from past teaching experiences & I brought an example of a teaching technique I like to use in the classroom. They seemed excited to have this additional information. Then I gave my 30-minute teaching lesson and that was the end.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between the role of a community college and a 4-year institution?   Answer Question

Negotiation

The Dean explained that they have a formula for calculating salaries based on degree, years of experience teaching etc. He said I might ask for $500 more than the initial offer but not much more.

Full-time Faculty Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Interview

HR called to set first interview which was with a committee made up of faculty, staff and administrative. A teaching presentation is required and the questions are pre-made. Members go around the table and ask them. Committee recommends top three candidates for second interviews. Second interview was with vice chancellor who then makes final decision.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked $5000 higher and got $2500 above initial offer. This was done through HR.