Ivy Tech Community College Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

2.4

Financial Aid Counselor Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

The interview was relaxed. There was a panel of four managers asking questions regarding the position and how my experience related. They let me know what to expect after the interview. Three weeks after the first interview, I was invited to interview with the Chancellor. He made the offer during the second interview.

Interview Questions
    There was little negotiating. The pay was non negotiable. They were flexible on start date.

Parttime Employee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

The interview is good. People were friendly to me. They asked the basic questions. The whole process took four weeks. I emailed the HR three or times to check the process.

Faculty Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

I emailed the department chair about a year before out of interest in such a position and we kept in contact when the Faculty Fellow position opened up. Then I applied online and received a phone call invitation to interview about 2-3 months later (we exchanged emails several times during this time as well). I was given instructions to prepare a 30-minute teaching lesson over a specific topic in my field (they told me exactly what topic to teach).

The atmosphere of the interview was more laid back than expected. 4 people interviewed me, taking turns asking specific questions they had printed in front of them. All were very nice and interactive during this time. Mostly expected questions: what qualifies you? How does Ivy Tech fit into your goals? Share 3 strengths? What are your personal interests? Give an example of a difficult time teaching, how did you resolve an issue/ change? Have you taught older students before? Are you involved in the community?
    I did draw many of my answers from my philosophy of teaching statement and other past teaching experience. Additional information: I brought in student evaluation comments from past teaching experiences & I brought an example of a teaching technique I like to use in the classroom. They seemed excited to have this additional information.

Then I gave my 30-minute teaching lesson and that was the end.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between the role of a community college and a 4-year institution?   Answer Question
    The Dean explained that they have a formula for calculating salaries based on degree, years of experience teaching etc. He said I might ask for $500 more than the initial offer but not much more.

Full-time Faculty Member Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

HR called to set first interview which was with a committee made up of faculty, staff and administrative. A teaching presentation is required and the questions are pre-made. Members go around the table and ask them. Committee recommends top three candidates for second interviews. Second interview was with vice chancellor who then makes final decision.

Interview Questions
    I asked $5000 higher and got $2500 above initial offer. This was done through HR.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Went through phone screening, one on one interview, and two group interviews. Process took approximately one month from start to finish. They were very friendly, but process took a long time and numerous visits to their offices.

Interview Questions
    • Group interviews were confusing, same questions were asked over and over. With the numerous interviews, quality of answers decreased each time a person asked the same question.   Answer Question

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Ivy Tech Community College in August 2013.

Went to an Adjunct Job Fair and go an interview. Asked about my experience teaching, and ask when would I be available.

There was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Terre Haute, IN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College in August 2013.

2 interviews. First was a panel interview, the second was with a Dean.

Adjunct Instructor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

Went to an Adjunct faculty job fair. Provided credentials and resume. Made application.

Interview Questions
    • There were very few questions. They were supposed to get back with candidates but I don't know of any one who has heard any word about whether they will be hired.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College in June 2013.

Contacted by Dean. Had a very pleasant interview. I was asked specific and general questions regarding my work history, skills and qualifications. The interview was very relaxed and I did not feel pressured at all.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find any of the questions asked of me difficult nor unexpected due to I was/am qualified for the position I was hired for.   Answer Question
    For the Adjunct position, there is no negotiation on salary. It is pre-determined. It was mutually decided I would start the following semester.

Adjunct Professor Interview

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Ivy Tech Community College.

My experience of the interview and hiring process was extremely casual. I had applied several months back, and they had a need for the upcoming semester. I received a call asking if I was interested and we set up the interview for the next day. I did dress up with a shirt and tie. It was a relaxed environment and we simply talked about my passions for the subject I would be teaching in. Once it was done he offered me the position.