J. Alexander's Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Alexander's

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Alexander's (Troy, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard corporate restaurant interview process. First interview with lower level management, second interview with Assistant General Manager, and third interview with General Manager. All interviews were pretty standard: reiteration of experience, "what does good service mean to you"...etc.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

It was very casual and laid back. The manager asked many basic or 'typical' interview questions. I never was put in an uncomfortable spot. I didn't have much job experience prior, but it seemed like it was fine. The interview was quite short, however. It lasted about five minutes and was really informal. They like to know about your time management skills and if you're personable.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

The interview process here is quick and efficient. You may be interviewed as soon as you walk in with your resume, as I was. I was told they never are officially hiring, rather they always accept candidates when they see potential. I had to pass three interviews and a test before being hired.

Interview Questions

3-4 weeks of training before you can start.

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. Alexander's (Toledo, OH) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview was in two steps, first with a manager and then the general manager. General review of resume, easy interview questions, not too formal. Basically they want to know if youre going to be up for the challenge of training their way over the course of a month. You'll need to take several tests before moving on to actually serving. Everyone was very friendly, and the whole thing went really well.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

There was only one interview that lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negation

Fine Dining Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Alexander's in November 2013.

Interview

Go in, fill out application, manager inquires about my background and experience. First interview goes well, meet with GM. GM inquires about availability and informs me that I am to subsequently meet with another manager at a later date. Meet with said manager during orientation who develops my matrix and conducts orientation.

Interview Questions

• How effectively can you work on a team?   1 Answer

Server Interview

Interview

Honestly, you need no experience. Just be competent and you will get this job.

Interview Questions

• They'll ask you why you want to work there. Try to sound as customer service oriented as possible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at J. Alexander's (Troy, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

Initial application, came in for first interview and then 7 days of training. Each day of training is focused on different aspects of the server duties. Met with each of the management staff excluding the kitchen manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you believe you should be a champion?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Coach In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. Alexander's (Nashville, TN) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with J Alexander's at their corporate office in Nashville, Tenn. This was a "working interview" where you are expected to work throughout the process. I didn't care for the way the interview was conducted because there was little to no guidance as to what was actually expected of you. Once I finally decided that I was going to take initiative and try to run food, a manager (not the one who was interviewing me) told me that I was not supposed to be doing that and sent me elsewhere to just stand around and observe. I was not impressed.

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. Alexander's (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Quick to communicate with prospective employees. Very kind and friendly interviewers. Management seemed to really emphasize hiring quality employees.

Interview Questions

• There weren't too many difficult questions. They asked me why the guests are important to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated conflicts with work schedule; none for salary or benefits.