J. Alexander's Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2015

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Alexander's

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

The interview process here is quick and efficient. You may be interviewed as soon as you walk in with your resume, as I was. I was told they never are officially hiring, rather they always accept candidates when they see potential. I had to pass three interviews and a test before being hired.

Interview Questions

3-4 weeks of training before you can start.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

There was only one interview that lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negation

Server Interview

Interview

Honestly, you need no experience. Just be competent and you will get this job.

Interview Questions

• They'll ask you why you want to work there. Try to sound as customer service oriented as possible.   Answer Question

Coach In Training Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Nashville, TN) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with J Alexander's at their corporate office in Nashville, Tenn. This was a "working interview" where you are expected to work throughout the process. I didn't care for the way the interview was conducted because there was little to no guidance as to what was actually expected of you. Once I finally decided that I was going to take initiative and try to run food, a manager (not the one who was interviewing me) told me that I was not supposed to be doing that and sent me elsewhere to just stand around and observe. I was not impressed.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Quick to communicate with prospective employees. Very kind and friendly interviewers. Management seemed to really emphasize hiring quality employees.

Interview Questions

• There weren't too many difficult questions. They asked me why the guests are important to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated conflicts with work schedule; none for salary or benefits.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Plantation, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

Three step process. First interview was with FOH manager, then the hostess manager, and then the general manager. Everyone was very straight faced and rude at first. They did not smile, it was very intimidating. The general manager commented on how weak my handshake was and that we would "work on it during my employment" and that's how I knew I got the job.

Food Runner Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Scottsdale, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

Filled out app and go my first interview on the spot. Next 3 Days later and was offered the job the following day.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Boca Raton, FL).

Interview

3 Interview process. Consisted of one on one interviews with various location managers. Managers ask you various about the industry to evaluate your ability to meet their standards of service. Interviews are inviting with a positive attitude.

Waiter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Louisville, KY) in June 2011.

Interview

The manager who interviewed me was very easy going and welcoming. I was able to walk in, apply, and get an interview, all in the time-frame of about 30 minutes. I ended up not being hired because I was applying as seasonal help and they were mostly interested in more than temporary hires.

Server Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Centerville, OH) in September 2009.

Interview

Very easy interview. I came with serving experience and it was no problem being hired.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult or drunk customers?   1 Answer

Negotiation

n/a