J. Alexander's Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Alexander's

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

It was very casual and laid back. The manager asked many basic or 'typical' interview questions. I never was put in an uncomfortable spot. I didn't have much job experience prior, but it seemed like it was fine. The interview was quite short, however. It lasted about five minutes and was really informal. They like to know about your time management skills and if you're personable.

Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

The interview process here is quick and efficient. You may be interviewed as soon as you walk in with your resume, as I was. I was told they never are officially hiring, rather they always accept candidates when they see potential. I had to pass three interviews and a test before being hired.

Interview Questions

3-4 weeks of training before you can start.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Toledo, OH) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview was in two steps, first with a manager and then the general manager. General review of resume, easy interview questions, not too formal. Basically they want to know if youre going to be up for the challenge of training their way over the course of a month. You'll need to take several tests before moving on to actually serving. Everyone was very friendly, and the whole thing went really well.

Hostess Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview

There was only one interview that lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negation

Fine Dining Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. Alexander's in November 2013.

Interview

Go in, fill out application, manager inquires about my background and experience. First interview goes well, meet with GM. GM inquires about availability and informs me that I am to subsequently meet with another manager at a later date. Meet with said manager during orientation who develops my matrix and conducts orientation.

Interview Questions

• How effectively can you work on a team?   1 Answer

Server Interview

Interview

Honestly, you need no experience. Just be competent and you will get this job.

Interview Questions

• They'll ask you why you want to work there. Try to sound as customer service oriented as possible.   Answer Question

Coach In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Nashville, TN) in October 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with J Alexander's at their corporate office in Nashville, Tenn. This was a "working interview" where you are expected to work throughout the process. I didn't care for the way the interview was conducted because there was little to no guidance as to what was actually expected of you. Once I finally decided that I was going to take initiative and try to run food, a manager (not the one who was interviewing me) told me that I was not supposed to be doing that and sent me elsewhere to just stand around and observe. I was not impressed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Quick to communicate with prospective employees. Very kind and friendly interviewers. Management seemed to really emphasize hiring quality employees.

Interview Questions

• There weren't too many difficult questions. They asked me why the guests are important to me.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiated conflicts with work schedule; none for salary or benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Plantation, FL) in March 2013.

Interview

Three step process. First interview was with FOH manager, then the hostess manager, and then the general manager. Everyone was very straight faced and rude at first. They did not smile, it was very intimidating. The general manager commented on how weak my handshake was and that we would "work on it during my employment" and that's how I knew I got the job.

Food Runner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Alexander's (Scottsdale, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

Filled out app and go my first interview on the spot. Next 3 Days later and was offered the job the following day.