J. Alexander's

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hostess Interview

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview Details – There was only one interview that lasted 30 minutes.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negation

Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Alexander's in June 2013.

Interview Details – Quick to communicate with prospective employees. Very kind and friendly interviewers. Management seemed to really emphasize hiring quality employees.

Interview Question – There weren't too many difficult questions. They asked me why the guests are important to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated conflicts with work schedule; none for salary or benefits.

Very Difficult Interview

Coach In Training Interview

Coach In Training
Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. Alexander's in October 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with J Alexander's at their corporate office in Nashville, Tenn. This was a "working interview" where you are expected to work throughout the process. I didn't care for the way the interview was conducted because there was little to no guidance as to what was actually expected of you. Once I finally decided that I was going to take initiative and try to run food, a manager (not the one who was interviewing me) told me that I was not supposed to be doing that and sent me elsewhere to just stand around and observe. I was not impressed.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a member of our team   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at J. Alexander's

Interview Details – Honestly, you need no experience. Just be competent and you will get this job.

Interview Question – They'll ask you why you want to work there. Try to sound as customer service oriented as possible.   Answer Question

Food Runner Interview

Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Alexander's in October 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out app and go my first interview on the spot. Next 3 Days later and was offered the job the following day.

Interview Question – Interview was fairly easy with little surprises.   Answer Question

Boca Raton, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Alexander's.

Interview Details – 3 Interview process. Consisted of one on one interviews with various location managers. Managers ask you various about the industry to evaluate your ability to meet their standards of service. Interviews are inviting with a positive attitude.

Interview Question – Define hospitality.   Answer Question

Waiter Interview

Louisville, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Alexander's in June 2011.

Interview Details – The manager who interviewed me was very easy going and welcoming. I was able to walk in, apply, and get an interview, all in the time-frame of about 30 minutes. I ended up not being hired because I was applying as seasonal help and they were mostly interested in more than temporary hires.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at J. Alexander's?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Centerville, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at J. Alexander's in September 2009.

Interview Details – Very easy interview. I came with serving experience and it was no problem being hired.

Interview Question – How do you handle difficult or drunk customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Boca Raton, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Alexander's in April 2009.

Interview Details – Application filled out and sat down and spent about 45 minutes speaking directly with the manager. He was very personable and interested. Very postive interview, gave me many opportunities to ask questions and also asked me questions to determine if I was the team player he was looking for. The training process was extensive, it would be atleast a month before I would begin to make money, and he upfront about that. I respected his care for the restaurant he managed and took his offer for a position with his team, very special and with much consideration.

Interview Question – What red wine would you pair with a certain cut of meat?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The time frame it would take before making an income. The restaurant also pooled their money. Not a perfect fit for ME. Many others would be LUCKY to work there.

Very Easy Interview

Server

The process took 2 days - interviewed at J. Alexander's in June 2011.

Interview Details – I went in one day and filled out an application there. I waited for a while to talk to a manager. The hostesses were very friendly and offered me a beverage while I waited. I met with one manager. He asked me general questions about where I had worked before, where I was at in life (college, married, etc). He asked me to come back the next day to speak with another manager. The second manager asked me questions about the restaurants i had worked in, what I liked about them, and what I liked about working in the restaurant industry. They offered me the job. A week later I went in for orientation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate schedule at the beginning. J. Alexander's has set schedules, so if you have any doubt about days you can work, error on the side of caution. You can always pick up a shift if you aren't scheduled.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for J. Alexander's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Alexander's interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. Alexander's employees and interview candidates.