J.B. Hunt

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2014.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview with an HR representative. At the end of the call, I was offered an on-site interview with an account manager and accepted. On-site interview went very well but at the time I was still 5+ months away from graduation and was instructed to follow up closer to graduation if I was still interested.

I followed up 3 months later, and was offered a second on-site interview with the regional manager and an account manager. During the interview, they stated that they were looking for somebody to start within 2 weeks, but I was unavailable for full-time for about 6 weeks due to graduation.

I suggested a part-time role within the company to get into the door, and it was stated that this had never been done for this position. About one week later, I was offered to "shadow" the position to ensure a proper fit. I accepted, and enjoyed it thoroughly. A week after that, I was offered an internship in order to begin my training part time until graduation. Assuming a proper fit and success for both parties (myself and the company) I will be offered a full-time position upon graduation.

Interview Question – How would you handle somebody who is uneducated telling you that you don't have any idea what you are talking about and refuse to complete your directions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked in the first on-site interview point blank what salary I was looking for. Prior to the interview, I researched industry standards and company ranges, and considered my own financial situation. I cited the salary that I needed and was told that it was within their range.

Advice - First, try to show the employer that you are not primarily interested in the salary, but future growth opportunity within the company. In preliminary interviews, it may be best to say a that you need to cover your own expenses, but this is not your primary focus. This WILL occasionally fail as some employers/interviewers want a number to ensure nobodies time is being wasted. If this occurs, have a range in mind ahead of time. Depending on how high or low the average salary is, and your level of relevant experience, it is usually best to keep the range small as to show you are willing to negotiate within a certain level, but showing confidence in your ability to perform the job at a certain wage.

Very Easy Interview

Lithia Springs, GA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for position on a Friday. I was called the following Tuesday by a recruiter and had a phone interview. Two Weeks later a had a interview in Lithia Springs,GA ( Atlanta). My interview was very basic. We went over my resume. Waiting to hear back.

Interview Question – None. Very easy interview.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from the Area HR Manager, in Lowell, AR. She asked me a few basic questions and talked a little about the position and asked if it would be something I would be interested in. She then scheduled a time to interview, which mine was in Atlanta with the Director and VP of Operations. I interviewed with each one individually. My interview lasted about an hour and fifteen mins. They basically went over my resume and asked questions about it. As I told them a little more in depth about each job, they picked out questions to ask that were related to the JB Hunt position. They have a lot of applicants, as business is growing. They asked a couple of behavioral questions but you have probably answered them before, about leadership and dealing with difficult people. They are looking for people who are relocatable. Best chance of getting it, if you are. Interview was on a Thursday around 4pm, got a call back with offer around 9am on Friday. They told me they would have a decision in 2 weeks. Guess they really liked me.

Interview Question – If someone you knew were here right now, how would they describe your leadership ability?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be relocatable!

Dedicated Manager In Training

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in November 2012.

Interview Details – It is composed of several interviews some onsite in a trailer or in an office setting. When you come out of college, you do not think that your job would be literally working elbow to elbow in a small dingy hot trailer. Yes it is the transportation industry but, I have seen better with smaller trucking companies. The interviewers are very informal,unprepared, and unaware of what was going on.

Interview Question – So where do you live?   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online to JBHunt.com for their manager trainee position in Chicago, IL. At firest I wasn't sure if this meant actual Chicago or the surrounding suburbs.

I was first contacted by recruiter from corporate in Arkansas. She asked me if I was interested in conducting a phone interview, which we scheduled probably 2 days later. After the phone interview, I was informed that they wante to bring me in for a face-to-face interview. I interviewed on a Friday--about 9 days after the initial contact, and had an interview with 2 Account Managers. They asked me a series of questions about my education, past employment, and situational questions. The interview took about an hour. Both managers had been with JB Hunt for numerous years, so you could tell that they had knowledge for the company.

The following Tuesday, I was offered the position over the phone. I didn't accept right away because I was interviewing with another company, and the recruiter never gave me a straight answer on where I would start.

Interview Questions

Dedicated Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in December 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and within a week I was contacted by a recruiter. She gave me an informal interview. why jb hunt? what do I know about jb hunt? Asked questions about my resume. Very basic within two weeks the same recruiter called me to set up an in person interview with the regional manager in my region. Some interview questions I remeber were, Tell me about a time you had to make an unpopular decision? what can you bring to the company? what are your strengths and weaknesses? After the in person interview I was contacted by the same recruiter to set up a site visit to one of the facilities. I was there for about 3 hours were I was given a tour of the facility and sat with the operations supervisor. I then was given 24 hours to put together a report on the site visit. I'am waiting now about whether or not I will be hired.

Interview Question – know about experiences on your resume and be ready to give examples to those experiences.   Answer Question

Dedicated Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Interview Details – 1st round: Phone interview. Asked some questions about my work and education history. Asked a few questions about how I would deal with certain situations. Asked multiple times about relocations. Basically this seemed like a screening call to see if I'd be a good fit for the company. Do I share their value for safety? Do I work well with other people? Heads up, if you are not willing to relocate you are probably best off applying elsewhere.
2nd round: Lunch interview. Again, was asked about relocation. Most of the questions just ended up tailored around the discussion about my history and my goals moving forward.

Interview Question – The person doing my interview was very intense. He's probably one of the most driven people I have ever met. He wasn't exactly intimidating, but it was clear from the interviewer that the job would be demanding.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The pay/benefits/vacation for the company's DMIT program are pretty cookie cutter. However, the package they offer is more than competitive compared to offers from other companies.

Dedicated Manager In Training

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in August 2012.

Interview Details – I had a face to face interview with two regional and two local operations managers. They asked basic questions about items on resume, but mostly want to see how your personality will fit with the job.....aka......managing truck drivers and their fleets.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a truck driver that has violated a safety rule, but is resistant to receiving corrective action by their manager?   Answer Question

Dedicated Manager In Training

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position by sending in my resume. I received a call from the HQ in Arkansas inquiring about my interest in the position and if I would like to set up a phone interview. Had the phone interview 3 business days later. The interviewer asked some behavioral questions such as "how do you get along with difficult people?" and "what would you do if ..." type stuff.

I answered well enough to get an interview with the Hiring Manager. Went for the interview, and it was a very laid back atmosphere. It was simple enough, asked about my resume and willingness to relocate. I got the feeling a decision had already been made as to if they were going to hire me because there wasn't much detailed discussion as to my skills or abilities at the in face interview.

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate   View Answer

Dedicated Manager In Training

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2010.

Interview Details – I met with a recruiter at a job fair. He told me I should apply to the position if I was interested because I was "definitely overqualified". So I gave him my resume and applied on their site as well. A few days later I was contacted by an HR lady from HQ who interviewed me over the phone. This led to a second round interview in the Central Region. As I was checking into my hotel for the Central Region interview, I got a call from the guy I talked to at the career fair saying that he wanted me to interview for an open position in the Midwest Region. After I explained that I was already on my second round for the Central Region he wished me luck and told me I couldn't interview with him. So at the end of my second round interview I mentioned what had happened. In a few days I was requested to travel to another destination for a second round interview with the Midwest Region.

So after the run around, I didn't end up with an offer. Although they did reimburse me for mileage promptly and generously and paid for my hotel stay.

Everyone I interviewed with sounded like they HATED their job. I always ask what the interviewer like the most/least about the company. I had some pretty interesting answers. I think I wouldn't have taken the offer if they extended it to me.

Interview Question – I can't remember. Nothing unexpected though, just behavioral type stuff.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.B. Hunt

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.B. Hunt Dedicated Manager In Training interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.B. Hunt employees and interview candidates.