J.B. Hunt

Relevance Date Difficulty

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator
Lowell, AR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Interview Details – If your resume gets you to the door, let your personality do the rest. A lot of specific examples are requested.

Negotiation Details – No real wiggle room for negotiation.

Operations Supervisor Interview

Operations Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2014.

Interview Details – As stated in previous reviews, it's pretty much the same. HR from Lowell, AR contacts you and sets up a telephone interview, they're essentially the gatekeeper in the process. If they like what you have to say they pass you on to a hiring manager in the next 7-10 days for a physical interview. Interview with a hiring/regional manager and then it's up to you...Total time spent was about 3 weeks until I accepted an offer.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary, my interviewer was a seasoned regional manager and interviewer so it was fun, interesting and a rewarding experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very simple and direct; salary = "X" take it or not...

Fleet Manager Interview

Fleet Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in April 2014.

Interview Details – Went to a recruitment fair and talked to a regional recruitment manager. Received a request for a phone interview a two weeks later. Two weeks after that, I conducted a panel interview with two managers at their Chicago office.

Questions were easy and more focused toward personality fit and understanding of the demands of the position. Lots of “how do you manage people?” questions. I received a call 3 days after the interview with a tentative offer and received a formal offer 3 days later.

Pay is low - $48,000 with a 10% bonus if the company hits its marks. The work environment is also transportation focused. Expect night shifts, work on some holidays and 10 to 12 hour days. However, there seems to be a lot of growth and the company culture is very centered on employees starting at the bottom and rapid internal promotion if you're willing to put in the time.

Interview Question – How would you handle a driver who refuses to work, keeping in mind the trucking industry has a very high turnover rate with a lot of opportunities for drivers at other organizations?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low pay with long hours with poor benefits.

Very Difficult Interview

Logistics Engineer I Interview

Logistics Engineer I
Lowell, AR

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in January 2014.

Interview Details – I first had a phone interview that was 20-30 minutes and questions regarding my resume and past experience were asked. I was flown to the headquarters a month or so later. The interview was long, 8am-4pm. Many different people interviewed me, mostly in teams of two. Questions were mostly behavioral, but there was a technical component to the interview. There was a lunch break in the middle of the day, but my voice was hoarse after the interview because I talked all day. Bring a bottle of water with you!
After two weeks, I contacted them to followup but they never returned my call and I never heard back from them after the interview. It seemed very unprofessional and left me with a bad impression.

Interview Question – One of the technical questions was to formulate a linear program   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

Programmer

Interviewed at J.B. Hunt

Interview Details – was pretty simple interview about basics of computer science

Carrier Sales Coordinator Interview

Carrier Sales Coordinator

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Interview Details – Applied online, had a brief phone interview and was asked to come in for a face to face with a couple of the managers. The campus is extremely laid back and you will stand out during the interview process. All the employees and managers were very welcoming. After the interview I sat in with one of the reps and had the opportunity to shadow and see exactly what the job would require. I didn't receive and offer due to a more qualified candidate.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary if you show up prepared.   Answer Question

Fleet Manager Trainee Interview

Fleet Manager Trainee
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly easy and nothing asked was unexpected if you prepared. First you will go through a brief phone interview then if you make it to the next phase, you will be meeting with regional managers at their office location. I first interviewed for the DMIT position, didn't get the offer because someone was a little more qualified, but was invited to interview for the Fleet MIT position because I did well during the DMIT interview.

Interview Question – How would you handle a driver who doesn't feel he should listen to you because you're new and younger?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't a negotiation phase, I was offered more than expected so I didn't even bother to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Regional Inter-modal Interview

Regional Inter-modal
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was easy and simple, pretty much straight forward. The trainers were well qualified, intelligent and pleasant individuals with years of valuable experience as drivers themselves.

Interview Question – Have you ever cheated on your spouse?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any negotiation process.

Fleet Manager Interview

Fleet Manager
Lowell, AR

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in April 2010.

Interview Details – Employer big partner with the University of Arkansas and is always a staple at the career fairs. Had an on campus initial interview and from there had to fill out a personality exam online and two weeks later they called me to set up an in person interview. The actual interview was very conversational and was given an offer two days later.

Interview Question – There really weren't any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Dedicated Manager In Training Interview

Dedicated Manager In Training
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2014.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview with an HR representative. At the end of the call, I was offered an on-site interview with an account manager and accepted. On-site interview went very well but at the time I was still 5+ months away from graduation and was instructed to follow up closer to graduation if I was still interested.

I followed up 3 months later, and was offered a second on-site interview with the regional manager and an account manager. During the interview, they stated that they were looking for somebody to start within 2 weeks, but I was unavailable for full-time for about 6 weeks due to graduation.

I suggested a part-time role within the company to get into the door, and it was stated that this had never been done for this position. About one week later, I was offered to "shadow" the position to ensure a proper fit. I accepted, and enjoyed it thoroughly. A week after that, I was offered an internship in order to begin my training part time until graduation. Assuming a proper fit and success for both parties (myself and the company) I will be offered a full-time position upon graduation.

Interview Question – How would you handle somebody who is uneducated telling you that you don't have any idea what you are talking about and refuse to complete your directions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked in the first on-site interview point blank what salary I was looking for. Prior to the interview, I researched industry standards and company ranges, and considered my own financial situation. I cited the salary that I needed and was told that it was within their range.

Advice - First, try to show the employer that you are not primarily interested in the salary, but future growth opportunity within the company. In preliminary interviews, it may be best to say a that you need to cover your own expenses, but this is not your primary focus. This WILL occasionally fail as some employers/interviewers want a number to ensure nobodies time is being wasted. If this occurs, have a range in mind ahead of time. Depending on how high or low the average salary is, and your level of relevant experience, it is usually best to keep the range small as to show you are willing to negotiate within a certain level, but showing confidence in your ability to perform the job at a certain wage.