J.B. Hunt

2.6

Dedicated Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2014.

First, I had a phone interview with an HR representative. At the end of the call, I was offered an on-site interview with an account manager and accepted. On-site interview went very well but at the time I was still 5+ months away from graduation and was instructed to follow up closer to graduation if I was still interested.

I followed up 3 months later, and was offered a second on-site interview with the regional manager and an account manager. During the interview, they stated that they were looking for somebody to start within 2 weeks, but I was unavailable for full-time for about 6 weeks due to graduation.

I suggested a part-time role within the company to get into the door, and it was stated that this had never been done for this position. About one week later, I was offered to "shadow" the position to ensure a proper fit. I accepted, and enjoyed it thoroughly. A week after that, I was offered an internship in order to begin my training part time until graduation. Assuming a proper fit and success for both parties (myself and the company) I will be offered a full-time position upon graduation.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle somebody who is uneducated telling you that you don't have any idea what you are talking about and refuse to complete your directions?   Answer Question
    I was asked in the first on-site interview point blank what salary I was looking for. Prior to the interview, I researched industry standards and company ranges, and considered my own financial situation. I cited the salary that I needed and was told that it was within their range.

Advice - First, try to show the employer that you are not primarily interested in the salary, but future growth opportunity within the company. In preliminary interviews, it may be best to say a that you need to cover your own expenses, but this is not your primary focus. This WILL occasionally fail as some employers/interviewers want a number to ensure nobodies time is being wasted. If this occurs, have a range in mind ahead of time. Depending on how high or low the average salary is, and your level of relevant experience, it is usually best to keep the range small as to show you are willing to negotiate within a certain level, but showing confidence in your ability to perform the job at a certain wage.

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt in March 2014.

As stated in previous reviews, it's pretty much the same. HR from Lowell, AR contacts you and sets up a telephone interview, they're essentially the gatekeeper in the process. If they like what you have to say they pass you on to a hiring manager in the next 7-10 days for a physical interview. Interview with a hiring/regional manager and then it's up to you...Total time spent was about 3 weeks until I accepted an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, my interviewer was a seasoned regional manager and interviewer so it was fun, interesting and a rewarding experience.   Answer Question
    Very simple and direct; salary = "X" take it or not...

OFFICE SPECIALIST Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Just submit a resume, a call the next day and then you are sent an application via email. Phone interview and then an in person interview. Receive job offer via email and then instructions for drug test. Take drug test , a week later is orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Did not have any difficult questions pretty straight forward interviews.   Answer Question

DMiT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Applied on careerbuilder. Heard back from Corporate recruiter within a couple days. Set up an interview for a couple days out. Heard results from interview fairly quickly

Interview Questions
    • Asked how I would handle managing certain situations that I had no experience about. It was difficult to give specifics. I just answered with a general statement.   Answer Question
    Yes, able to negotiate. Wish I would have asked for more money starting out.

Operations Manager Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt in February 2014.

(Ex-Military guy looking for a position as a Operations Manager Trainee)

I went to three interviews. The first was with two Operations Managers from the Dallas area. The second was with a Regional Manager and the third meeting was with a DCS Account manager.

The first round of guys asked the same old questions, "why would you be good at this job" "why wouldn't you be good at this position" "what are two of your weaknesses" those kind of things.

The second round was more of the same with a Regional Manager he was very quiet and waited for me to talk myself out of a job... I felt like I bombed that interview but I was surprised to get a call a few hours later telling me to interview with another local Operations Manager at a DCS account site.

The DCS Operations Manager asked the same things as the others except he asked about my Microsoft Excel skills and ability to multitask if needed. I was given an offer of employment a week later for an Operations Manager position at that site, not the trainee position.

Background and hair follicle drug test within 48 hours of signed offer (0.5-1.5 inches of hair needed in my area), 50K starting salary, quarterly bonus potential (probably 1-2K max per quarter) 2 weeks of vacation and two personal days after a year of being there, half of 401K match up to 6% after a year of being there, medical insurance effective after 90 days on the job... Pretty crappy benefits package if you ask me but hey it's a job right?

Did not negotiate due to the fact that they offered me the DCS Account Manager position instead of making me train for 6-12 months.

Fleet Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt in February 2014.

Went to the career fair at my college and submitted my resume. I was called for a telephone interview within 1 week. I have advanced on to the inperson interview and am waiting to hear back.

DMiT Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.B. Hunt.

initial phone interview, basic questions. In person interview with 2 managers. Pretty basic questions. They did a good job explaining all of the duties.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to put yourself in management scenarios...how would you handle an angry driver etc.   Answer Question

Recruiting Intern Interview

Applied online and then got a call a few days later. Came in for an interview (about 45 minutes long with 4 Human Resource employees that are also in the recruiting department). The following day after the interview, I received a call saying I had gotten the internship. I accepted there and started about two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you've been in a difficult situation with another coworker.   Answer Question

Logistics Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR
    Anonymous Employee in Lowell, AR

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J.B. Hunt in January 2014.

I first had a phone interview that was 20-30 minutes and questions regarding my resume and past experience were asked. I was flown to the headquarters a month or so later. The interview was long, 8am-4pm. Many different people interviewed me, mostly in teams of two. Questions were mostly behavioral, but there was a technical component to the interview. There was a lunch break in the middle of the day, but my voice was hoarse after the interview because I talked all day. Bring a bottle of water with you!
    After two weeks, I contacted them to followup but they never returned my call and I never heard back from them after the interview. It seemed very unprofessional and left me with a bad impression.

Interview Questions
    • One of the technical questions was to formulate a linear program   Answer Question

DCS Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.B. Hunt.

Very easy interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Just be able to give examples to management type questions   Answer Question