J. C. Penney Customer Service Associate Interview Questions

1.7

38 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Owings, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owings, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I filled out a application online, they called me about a month later for a interview. When I arrived there were other people waiting to be interviewed as well. The assistant store manager was the one who interviewed me. She asked me to tell me about myself which I did. She gave me a brief summary of the company and what's expected of me if I were to be hired.

She did my salary based on my experience and she said I would start on Sept 11 pending my background check. My background check came back ok days later. I started on Sept 11.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

The interview wasn't a typical interview. There were two parts, for the first part the manager had us instruct one another on how to build a specific structure using these citiblocks. The idea seems easy, but we weren't allowed to touch the blocks and the structure had to look exactly like the picture shown. After this she then took people back one by one. I offered to go first and the manager asked some simple questions about how I would handle retail type situations and how my friends would describe me. The manager ended up offering me a position as a sales associate. The manager then explained the quotas I would have to fill and how much I would be paid and then I accepted the offer. Just waiting on a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Lets say you had thirty minutes left on your shift and you hadn't met your sales goal for the day. A women walks into shoes, looking for something specific, but then ends up not liking what she wanted. How would you insure that you met your sales goal and the customer left happy?   View Answer
    There wasn't much negotiating, I was happy with the pay offered.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

I applied online, was contacted a few days later to do a short over-the-phone interview. I passed the interview and she asked me to come in for a group interview. I wasn't able to make it, so I rescheduled for that next week. Then she called me back and rescheduled again. When I finally got there, all she asked me to do was role play on the sales floor. She was the customer and I was the Customer Service Associate. Then, she took me in the HR room and asked my about my availability and such. She gave me her card and told me to call if I have any questions. The next day, she called and offered me a position. I was so excited until she told me the starting wage. I asked if I could negotiate but it was only $1 more...But I took it because I needed a job. I was waiting for another company to call. But I am grateful!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very easy:

Why do you want to work for JC Penny?
        View Answer
    I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2013.

Simple enough interview just looking for seasonal help.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Applied online... Got an immediate interview three days later. The manager was very laid back. The main part is to show your personality. My perception of the work environment was cheesy but fun to help others.

Interview Questions
    • I did not find it difficult because I had many years of customer service experience, but the manager who interviewed me used a circular as a prop and we role played. I needed to know how to help the "customer" get what she was intending to buy.   Answer Question
    Non-existent. The manager put me to work immediately on a day that I was supposed to just be "dropping off some paperwork." I was a little embarrassed to get strait to work because I had spent the day driving in my car and I don't believe my appearance was top notch. Later, I had to go back and tell the store manager that I was getting paid the wrong amount- .25/hr less. I have not seen that it has been corrected yet. I get paid in a couple of days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Silverdale, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

My interview was quite enjoyable. The manager asked me about my previous experience, what I hoped to get out of the job, etc. It was fun to talk about wanting to help customers. It was also good to know some of the basic values of the company before the interview. Afterwards, I was hired on and given a date to start my training!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carolina, PR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carolina, PR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

After filling out the online application I was called in for an interview. You're called in with several people and go in one by one--into the employee services area--to be interviewed. I recommend a smile and good eye-contact as well as paced answering (don't rush something out!). If they liked you, they'll call you again and tell you you've been accepted. They'll give you at least a week or two weeks to gather all your paperwork (bring originals AND copies, just in case! They're very important).

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

I applied online and was called for an interview a week later. I had my interview today walked out with the job after 15 minutes. It was like chatting with an old friend.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. I was satisfied with what was offered.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

Very quick and formative direct or temp to hire available.

informative

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!