J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview professionally and attended, I did find one thing that was unprofessional about the interview. My interviewer asked my age, which I was told is illegal to ask during interview. But all in all I did receive a job offer and I took it.

Interview Question – What could you offer to out customer service line?   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – The interview wasn't a typical interview. There were two parts, for the first part the manager had us instruct one another on how to build a specific structure using these citiblocks. The idea seems easy, but we weren't allowed to touch the blocks and the structure had to look exactly like the picture shown. After this she then took people back one by one. I offered to go first and the manager asked some simple questions about how I would handle retail type situations and how my friends would describe me. The manager ended up offering me a position as a sales associate. The manager then explained the quotas I would have to fill and how much I would be paid and then I accepted the offer. Just waiting on a background check.

Interview Question – Lets say you had thirty minutes left on your shift and you hadn't met your sales goal for the day. A women walks into shoes, looking for something specific, but then ends up not liking what she wanted. How would you insure that you met your sales goal and the customer left happy?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiating, I was happy with the pay offered.

Customer Service Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2013.

Interview Details – Simple enough interview just looking for seasonal help.

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, was contacted a few days later to do a short over-the-phone interview. I passed the interview and she asked me to come in for a group interview. I wasn't able to make it, so I rescheduled for that next week. Then she called me back and rescheduled again. When I finally got there, all she asked me to do was role play on the sales floor. She was the customer and I was the Customer Service Associate. Then, she took me in the HR room and asked my about my availability and such. She gave me her card and told me to call if I have any questions. The next day, she called and offered me a position. I was so excited until she told me the starting wage. I asked if I could negotiate but it was only $1 more...But I took it because I needed a job. I was waiting for another company to call. But I am grateful!

Interview Question – Questions were very easy:

Why do you want to work for JC Penny?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT

Athens, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online... Got an immediate interview three days later. The manager was very laid back. The main part is to show your personality. My perception of the work environment was cheesy but fun to help others.

Interview Question – I did not find it difficult because I had many years of customer service experience, but the manager who interviewed me used a circular as a prop and we role played. I needed to know how to help the "customer" get what she was intending to buy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-existent. The manager put me to work immediately on a day that I was supposed to just be "dropping off some paperwork." I was a little embarrassed to get strait to work because I had spent the day driving in my car and I don't believe my appearance was top notch. Later, I had to go back and tell the store manager that I was getting paid the wrong amount- .25/hr less. I have not seen that it has been corrected yet. I get paid in a couple of days.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was called in to interview within a few days of applying. I interviewed with one manager, who ended up being my manager, then he took me to another room to wait. He came back within 5 minutes and offered me a position and we negotiated my pay.

Negotiation Details – We discussed my experience and what pay range I was willing to except.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

Interview Details – There are two rounds of interviews before you get hired. They hire associates at specific times through out the year. They usually hire most of their associates through out August, then wait to hire again for seasonal positions around October, then again around mothers day if they did not keep all of their seasonal associates.

Interview Question – They will ask you a lot about the company. Be prepared to be asked specific questions about the services the company offers and the brands that they sell. In the first interview they have specific scenarios they will describe such as problems within the store you may occur on a day to day basis and will rate your response on a checklist. The second interview is more personal, they ask more questions about your personal life and why their company would be a good fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Personally I was not given an opportunity to negotiate, the way the interview is set up they already know how much they are able to offer you based off your experience. They already had a paper for me printed out ready to sign with the hourly wage.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was hired during the holiday season. I highly suggest you apply during this time.. they take just about anyone, no experience required. I was called in for an interview immediately after I applied. I went in and to my surprise the lobby was filled with interviewees. Needless to say, this was a group interview. Store manager gave us a run-down of the store and asked a few questions here and there about what customer service meant etc. After this they called us one by one to discuss availability and take a copy of our ID and social security card. Waited about 2 weeks for a call back to start my training which was also in groups.

Negotiation Details – no salary negotiation

Silverdale, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – My interview was quite enjoyable. The manager asked me about my previous experience, what I hoped to get out of the job, etc. It was fun to talk about wanting to help customers. It was also good to know some of the basic values of the company before the interview. Afterwards, I was hired on and given a date to start my training!

Interview Question – What is your biggest fault?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very quick and formative direct or temp to hire available.

Interview Question – None to my knowledge   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – informative

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Customer Service Associate interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.