J. C. Penney

Updated Jan 27, 2015
Updated Jan 27, 2015

1.8

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied about 10 times a day to finally get a call for an interview in October 2014. The person who scheduled the interview was in such a rush to get off the phone I couldn't ask proper questions. She never told me exactly WHERE the interview was being held. On the day of the interview I went into the store to be told their Human Resource office was on the side of the building and also that their were no managers in the store what so ever. The side of the mall building is painted to look like the rest of the wall who on earth would know that? By this time I'm already late and wanted to be professional and reschedule rather than be late. I called the office from the time I left the property until about 5 pm that evening. There was no one in the office all day. When I finally reached through to someone she was extremely rude and howled at me like she was my mother. I politely asked to reschedule and she lied and said she didn't know when there was another session. That did it for me and the company. Worst experience with this place ever

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

The process was relatively easy. I applied online through their site. Nothing out of the ordinary with what you would have to fill out for a normal retail job. It focused mostly on how to treat the customer. I had one interview with the store manager. They were very helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you consider the most important part of customer service?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I saw the "hiring" sign outside the store. I walked in, applied on a kiosk, was interviewed, and hired within one hour. I was scheduled to work the next day.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. Minimum wage, period.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2014.

Manager found my resume on indeed called me and asked me to put in a app,10 minutes later she called me to come in to do a interview. I went in 2 days later (Today) & walked around the store talked about the position what I will be doing and pay rate and then she told me I am offering this position start training on Monday :)

Customer Service Associate Interview

Internet application and interview. Long series of questions about your personality, what would you do if type questions, profiling to see if your a match for the job, honest, or have half a brain. Probably used by many employers these days.

Interview Questions
    • None were difficult. Just a bunch of questions to see if you were a match to jobs being offered.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

It was pretty much like every other person reviewing JCPenney, it was an unexpected group interview where we had to do a block stacking activity, which ultimately crashed down. After the interview was over we were all told we'd get called in an hour to tell us if we had gotten the job or not, and that held true because I was called with the job offer! Which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions, why we want to work there, a time we worked successfully in a group, ect.   Answer Question
    Smile lots!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owings, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owings, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I filled out a application online, they called me about a month later for a interview. When I arrived there were other people waiting to be interviewed as well. The assistant store manager was the one who interviewed me. She asked me to tell me about myself which I did. She gave me a brief summary of the company and what's expected of me if I were to be hired.

She did my salary based on my experience and she said I would start on Sept 11 pending my background check. My background check came back ok days later. I started on Sept 11.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

The interview wasn't a typical interview. There were two parts, for the first part the manager had us instruct one another on how to build a specific structure using these citiblocks. The idea seems easy, but we weren't allowed to touch the blocks and the structure had to look exactly like the picture shown. After this she then took people back one by one. I offered to go first and the manager asked some simple questions about how I would handle retail type situations and how my friends would describe me. The manager ended up offering me a position as a sales associate. The manager then explained the quotas I would have to fill and how much I would be paid and then I accepted the offer. Just waiting on a background check.

Interview Questions
    • Lets say you had thirty minutes left on your shift and you hadn't met your sales goal for the day. A women walks into shoes, looking for something specific, but then ends up not liking what she wanted. How would you insure that you met your sales goal and the customer left happy?   View Answer
    There wasn't much negotiating, I was happy with the pay offered.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

I applied online, was contacted a few days later to do a short over-the-phone interview. I passed the interview and she asked me to come in for a group interview. I wasn't able to make it, so I rescheduled for that next week. Then she called me back and rescheduled again. When I finally got there, all she asked me to do was role play on the sales floor. She was the customer and I was the Customer Service Associate. Then, she took me in the HR room and asked my about my availability and such. She gave me her card and told me to call if I have any questions. The next day, she called and offered me a position. I was so excited until she told me the starting wage. I asked if I could negotiate but it was only $1 more...But I took it because I needed a job. I was waiting for another company to call. But I am grateful!

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very easy:

Why do you want to work for JC Penny?

View Answer