J. C. Penney Customer Service Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014

1.7

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

I applied online and was called for an interview a week later. I had my interview today walked out with the job after 15 minutes. It was like chatting with an old friend.

Interview Questions
No negotiations. I was satisfied with what was offered.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

Very quick and formative direct or temp to hire available.

informative

Customer Service Associate Interview

Simple. APPLY and they will call you for an interview and probably hire you on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2012.

I applied online on the JCP website within about a week I had a manager contact me to do a phone interview and when the phone interview was over she invited me to come in the next day for a face to face interview I got to the interview about twenty minutes early as I wasn't exactly sure where I was suppose to go I had an interview with the lady I did my phone interview with then she had another lady come in and ask me a few questions both ladies were extremely nice and made me feel very comfortable the questions were easy and mostly about customer service and was asked to describe myself, why I wanted to work at JCP and why they should hire me the main manager then explained to me that they were doing a lot of interviews that day and then have a meeting to make there decisions that evening and that she would contact me that evening either way I received a phone call from her a couple hours later offering me the position for a customer service associate and offered me $9.00/hr and that as soon as she got my background check back she would call me to set up my training she made sure i knew this is only a seasonal position and that there were no promises that I would get hired on as a permanent employee but if I did a really good job it was a possibility I was very excited considering two weeks before this interview I had an interview with Macy's and was not offered a position but that if I was I would be started off at minimum wage also I didn't get a very good vibe from the lady I had the interview with she actually seemed pretty snobby I'm very excited to hear back from her and start training I have always worked in retail but this will be my first department store job

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2012.

I was called for an interview professionally and attended, I did find one thing that was unprofessional about the interview. My interviewer asked my age, which I was told is illegal to ask during interview. But all in all I did receive a job offer and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

I was hired during the holiday season. I highly suggest you apply during this time.. they take just about anyone, no experience required. I was called in for an interview immediately after I applied. I went in and to my surprise the lobby was filled with interviewees. Needless to say, this was a group interview. Store manager gave us a run-down of the store and asked a few questions here and there about what customer service meant etc. After this they called us one by one to discuss availability and take a copy of our ID and social security card. Waited about 2 weeks for a call back to start my training which was also in groups.

no salary negotiation

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2011.

one on one with a manager then a group interview once u get to the group interview your hired its basically orientation here u bring your id n social security

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult just basics name a time when this happen do u have experience   View Answer
    they just want to see you talk and be social

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

When I first applied for the job online, I had no previous experience in retail. I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from them in just one week. They called me to set up a date for the interview. I showed up in plain business casual attire (white button shirt, grey pants) and was interviewed by three different people (one person from human resources who set up the interview with me over the phone, a supervisor, and the assistant manager). They were all friendly and welcoming. I know that I can personally be very shy and quiet, so I tried to be as confident and outgoing as possible. At the end of the interviews, I overheard the assistant manager talking to the person from human resources in the hallway agreeing that they should consider hiring me. They called me the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Let's say you work in a department that requires one-on-one customer service. You begin to help one customer when another customer asks for assistance. You hear your supervisor call for your assistance over the walkie-talkie. What would you do?   View Answer
    • What is a task that you really disliked but had to do anyway?   View Answer
    • What kind of salary are you looking for?   View Answer
    • What was the salary you were paid in your last position?   View Answer
    • How many hours are you looking for?   View Answer
    In just one day, I received an offer of $8.25/hr starting with around 25 hours a week. I was told by a close family friend that I should probably not negotiate the offer as that is a typical retail pay, but I wanted to try my luck. I asked if I could start at $8.75/hr and they gave it to me without any counter-offer. I am happy that I received the salary I asked for, but I wish I had asked for a higher amount. They probably would have paid me more, and that's the amount they gave me with no experience.

My advice to others is to not be afraid to ask for more on a job offer. The worst that they can do is say no. If they really need/want you there, then they are willing to give you as much as they can. Also, try to avoid saying a specific salary at the interview so they give you the best offer. If I said that I wanted to be paid based on what the position normally makes and based on my performance, then I may have been offered a higher amount to start with.

Also, it is very rare to receive a full-time position at JCPenney. There are people who have worked there for 4 or 5 years and who still have part-time jobs there. The most hours they can give you in this case is 35 hours per week based on your availability. However, you can still receive benefits if you sign up for it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

I thought the interview was going to go well since the J.C Pennys was exactly across from my school but it did not. The manager wanted me to work on the weekends which I have no problems doing but I will not work until 11:00 PM in the middle of the night when I have to have someone else as my source of transportation and also a minor at the time, 17. I was denied a job because I did not want to work until 11:00 PM and still in high school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

I applied online one thursday evening. I got a call the next day, asking to come in on Saturday for a 6:30pm interview and i accepted. I went to the interview and we talked for approximently 10 minutes, about schedules, what i would be doing, if i can handle it, ect. she asked questions mostly about situations and to talk about myself and why i should get the job. I then left on a happy note, but waited over a week, and still no callback. So i began to loose faith, but then one sunday afternoon, out of the blue almost (by then i had given up on JCpennys) , I received a call. The call, telling me if i can come in that monday morning for the beginning of training, it was amazing!

Interview Questions
    • A customer throws all the clothes off a counter, then proceeds to sit upon that counter. Its the end of a long work day, you are tired and want to get home. what do you do?   View Answer
    • What would your best friend say about you if i called him right now?   View Answer
    7.25 no negotiation