J. C. Penney

1.7

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annapolis, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

When I first applied for the job online, I had no previous experience in retail. I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from them in just one week. They called me to set up a date for the interview. I showed up in plain business casual attire (white button shirt, grey pants) and was interviewed by three different people (one person from human resources who set up the interview with me over the phone, a supervisor, and the assistant manager). They were all friendly and welcoming. I know that I can personally be very shy and quiet, so I tried to be as confident and outgoing as possible. At the end of the interviews, I overheard the assistant manager talking to the person from human resources in the hallway agreeing that they should consider hiring me. They called me the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Let's say you work in a department that requires one-on-one customer service. You begin to help one customer when another customer asks for assistance. You hear your supervisor call for your assistance over the walkie-talkie. What would you do?   View Answer
  • What is a task that you really disliked but had to do anyway?   View Answer
  • What kind of salary are you looking for?   View Answer
  • What was the salary you were paid in your last position?   View Answer
  • How many hours are you looking for?   View Answer
In just one day, I received an offer of $8.25/hr starting with around 25 hours a week. I was told by a close family friend that I should probably not negotiate the offer as that is a typical retail pay, but I wanted to try my luck. I asked if I could start at $8.75/hr and they gave it to me without any counter-offer. I am happy that I received the salary I asked for, but I wish I had asked for a higher amount. They probably would have paid me more, and that's the amount they gave me with no experience.

My advice to others is to not be afraid to ask for more on a job offer. The worst that they can do is say no. If they really need/want you there, then they are willing to give you as much as they can. Also, try to avoid saying a specific salary at the interview so they give you the best offer. If I said that I wanted to be paid based on what the position normally makes and based on my performance, then I may have been offered a higher amount to start with.

Also, it is very rare to receive a full-time position at JCPenney. There are people who have worked there for 4 or 5 years and who still have part-time jobs there. The most hours they can give you in this case is 35 hours per week based on your availability. However, you can still receive benefits if you sign up for it.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

I thought the interview was going to go well since the J.C Pennys was exactly across from my school but it did not. The manager wanted me to work on the weekends which I have no problems doing but I will not work until 11:00 PM in the middle of the night when I have to have someone else as my source of transportation and also a minor at the time, 17. I was denied a job because I did not want to work until 11:00 PM and still in high school.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

I applied online one thursday evening. I got a call the next day, asking to come in on Saturday for a 6:30pm interview and i accepted. I went to the interview and we talked for approximently 10 minutes, about schedules, what i would be doing, if i can handle it, ect. she asked questions mostly about situations and to talk about myself and why i should get the job. I then left on a happy note, but waited over a week, and still no callback. So i began to loose faith, but then one sunday afternoon, out of the blue almost (by then i had given up on JCpennys) , I received a call. The call, telling me if i can come in that monday morning for the beginning of training, it was amazing!

Interview Questions
    • A customer throws all the clothes off a counter, then proceeds to sit upon that counter. Its the end of a long work day, you are tired and want to get home. what do you do?   View Answer
    • What would your best friend say about you if i called him right now?   View Answer
    7.25 no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

There are two rounds of interviews before you get hired. They hire associates at specific times through out the year. They usually hire most of their associates through out August, then wait to hire again for seasonal positions around October, then again around mothers day if they did not keep all of their seasonal associates.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you a lot about the company. Be prepared to be asked specific questions about the services the company offers and the brands that they sell. In the first interview they have specific scenarios they will describe such as problems within the store you may occur on a day to day basis and will rate your response on a checklist. The second interview is more personal, they ask more questions about your personal life and why their company would be a good fit.   Answer Question
    Personally I was not given an opportunity to negotiate, the way the interview is set up they already know how much they are able to offer you based off your experience. They already had a paper for me printed out ready to sign with the hourly wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2010.

I applied on their hiring kiosk online during the summertime and finally got a call in late October asking to come in for an interview. Turns out they were hiring for holiday help. I went in for my interview and it was a one on one interview with one of the managers basically asking about my availability, days and hours they expected me to work, previous work history, etc. Very simple. They asked me to come in for a second interview that would take place the following day. In that one I was with a different manager and it was more along the lines of customer service questions and scenario questions. Easy. Both managers were very friendly during the interviews, no rushed feeling. I was hired on the spot. No waiting for phone calls later. I started about a week later for training.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe customer service?   Answer Question
    • A customer is looking for a birthday present for her grandmother but has no idea what to get. How would you help her? What questions would you ask?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2010.

My interview last only for 8 minutes with the Dept. manger and she ask me about my hours.....what days can i work and she offered the job to me right on the spot.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Papillion, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Papillion, NE

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

The assistant general manager decided to hire me without approving it with the general manager and it was an extremely confusing process. When you get hired, the training you received was only by computer.

There was no negotiations because this was my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay Shore, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bay Shore, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

First you fill out 50+ multiple choice question it will take you at least 40 minutes. If you do make it to the one on one interview process you will have to go through two of them. I suggest you be very bubbly cause that is what will get you through it, I suggest that you smile keep eye contact and give intelligent responses and you will be fine. (The questions are pretty easy)

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2009.

I applied online and completed a personality test and they called to set up an interview a few days later. They informed me on the phone that they are only hiring part-time seasonal workers presently. I had an interview a few days later.
    I arrived ten minutes early and went to the catalog desk to let them know I was there. The person who was supposed to interview me was on the phone so they sent me to the break room to wait. The staff in the break room was very friendly to me and made me feel much less stressed about the interview. Fifteen minutes later, they came and got me for the interview. The person who did the interview was similar to the rest of the staff in that he wanted me to feel comfortable and he made it seem like he was just trying to get to know me rather than grill me for an interview.
    He really only asked a few questions about my availability and where I thought I would like to work in the store. The interview lasted about an hour, but most of that time was just spent talking back-and-forth. He told me I had the job halfway through the interview and that someone would call to set up training after they got my background check in about a week. He was very honest about what it would be like to work there, how many hours I would get per week leading up to the holidays, and how likely it would be for them to keep me when the holiday season was over. Oh, the best part was that he offered me more than minimum wage because I am a college graduate even though I have no retail experience (I've interviewed in three different stores this week and he is the only one that did that) and it was the only one-part interview because it seems like every store makes you do at least three interviews now. I really enjoyed the interview and I would recommend applying there in a heartbeat.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate but he offered me over minimum wage because I am a college graduate (so make sure you mention that if it applies to you) even though I have no retail experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2009.

I applied online for customer care associates part time job in JC penny. I got a call within 1 week. I attended interview. It was one person interview . I had no prior experience in customer care associates.They asked me what is your idea about customer care, how would handle angry customer, give some example situation of good customer service ,,etc..