J. C. Penney

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Valley Stream, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2009.

Interview Details – two interviews one with supervisor and another with manager

Interview Question – why do you want to work for jc penney   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Pitts, PA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2013.

Interview Details – they didn't ask me any question just told me we are looking for a customer service reps .ask me about the availability and thats pretty much it.

Interview Question – no question   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Customer Service Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied for the position in person and requested an interview with a manager right away. A supervisor was available to interview me right there and then and asked me general questions regarding my employment history, education, why I would like to work at J.C. Penney, and for how long. I was then contacted the next day for a second interview with another manager that asked me many of the same questions and what I would expect to make per hour.

Interview Question – How would you handle a stressful situation with an employee.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glendale, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2012.

Interview Details – They called me in for an interview, went in the next day.

Negotiation Details – no

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – On-line screening when inputting application
first interview by supervisor, second interview by reporting supervisor, final interview by ASM or SM

Interview Question – What are you looking for in a position with JCPenney?   Answer Question

Springfield, MO

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2010.

Interview Details – At first I filled out an on-line application, Second I was contacted for an interview to be set up, Third I was interviewed by the department manager and supervisor. It was not an unpleasant experience. They welcomed me like family and I was given great training and I understood my job requirements well.

Interview Question – How are your jobs similar, how can you apply what you do there to what you will do here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They simply asked questions of my knowledge of how to treat people and help their situations. It was a personality test. They asked of my job that I was working at the same time, what I do there and how much I made. They matched my salary.

Albany, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was actually really pleasant & went well. They offered me a Customer Service Associate position within a couple of days. I don't think they bothered to check my references & they claimed to have run a background check on me although it seemed very rushed & quick. I interviewed with a HR person, then two different department managers, then the store manager talked to me. Overall it was a very easy & pleasant interview experience. What they forgot to let me know was that it was a temporary job! I found that out in orientation!

Interview Questions

• How would you handle more than one customer in the check out line?   View Answer
  • How would you greet a customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had a ton of experience with customer service in the secretarial field so they gave me a higher rate of pay but it's still not that much. Maybe it's good for retail!

Frisco, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2009.

Interview Details – First, I applied by filling out my resume on the companies kiosk inside the department store. The very next I had received a call from the salon manager about a front desk position. In about a week, I had an one on one interview and with the manager. A week later I filled the position, The main concern was about handling a large volume of calls to the front desk.

Interview Question – Can you handle a large volume of phone calls?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no opportunity to negotiate for wages, they offered the position and I accepted. I believe most people coming in on an entry level position starts at 8.25 plus commission.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2008.

Interview Details – My interview was not typical. The individual intervewing me mistook me for a relative of a manager with the same name and promptly offered the job.

I am over qualified for the job and do a great job.

Interview Question – Avalibility   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.