J. C. Penney

Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.3

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

it was a group interview. They had you build something and you only had a minute to do so, each person had a turn to explain to the group how to build it and when It was your turn you could not touch it. After this they gave each of us a department and we had to come up with a idea to better the department then pitch it to the interviewers. This is as far as I got in the process, there were four of us, only two of them proceeded to the next step.

Interview Questions
  • They asked when J.C penny was founded and what J.C stood for.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Park, Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Park, Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

The interview lasted about 45mins.First round was with a group of people, we had to read (each paper had different prop) and work together in order to choose a well structure proposition. Second round is the scenario test, the manager will take you to a section and pretend to be customer and you have to show off your customer service skills.

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I applied online and a week later I already got a phone call for my first Interview. Went really good even I had no experience in Retail but it was ok with them because the Manager said we will train our people before we put them out on the Sale floor or on the Register. Two weeks later I had the Job.

Interview Questions
    They let me know how much i will start with and i agreed with it, but when I saw my first paycheck I saw the paid me more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

The interviewers were very well prepared. They took turns speaking and asking questions. They made me feel welcome and asked for my comments. Usually when they ask if I have any questions, I never do only because I never know what to ask. Especially when they cover all of the pertinent information when they tell about the job.

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

After submitting an application on the computer, you will either receive a phone call or have to keep showing up to "check on the status" of your application. Either way, an in-person interview will be scheduled (it's actually two but it happens on the same day). First, you meet with a supervisor, he/she will ask you a series of your basic, "run-of-the-mill" questions. Then, you'll meet and interview with the store manager (if he/she is not available then you'll just have to settle for the second in command). This is where (if he/she approves of you) he/she will assign you to a department (e.g. Home, Men's, Lingerie, etc.) and offer you your wage.

Interview Questions
    • None, every question is pretty much straightforward, typical, and expected.... Such as "What do you do if a customer is looking for a particular item that we do not have in their particular size/color?"   View Answer
    Quick, seeing as how I did not negotiate, but I should have. Don't make the same mistake I did...

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2011.

The hiring process took only two weeks. I applied online, then they called for an interview . The person who interviewed was very friendly. Then I got the job. They trained me, and they did a background check.

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2011.

I came into the store and inquired about being hired. The Manager took my name and said he would have the assistant manager call me for an interview. She called me within 5 days. She had me come in for an interview. Then she had me take a test on the computer.
    I was hired that day at $7.50 per hour.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in retail and what do you expect from this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montebello, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montebello, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2010.

This was my second job I had. I applied online because of the holidays coming up, I wanted to get extra cash for presents. I got a call back within a week for an interview. I got interviewed by a man. He looked nice and friendly, so that made me feel less nervous. But he asked me a lot of questions from my resume. That made me a bit nervous. The interview took 10 minutes. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life. He told me I got the job but he was very mean about it. He said, "I don't know," Pause... "but i'll give you the job," so I got it. But I knew he didn't like me because my other friend got hired during the same time we applied and she got hired once she walked in because she was smiling?? I was smiling too because we were nervous. But oh well at least I made money for the holidays and got experience as a cashier, which was a plus!

Interview Questions
    • What would you do If theirs an angry customer?   View Answer
    Not really. I had no experience with customer service so I got the minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2009.

First was a online application that I was able to do at home on my computer. I received a phone interview. From that interview I was asked to come in and see a superviser for a face to face interview. I was hired at that interview. Then they did the background check for security. About a week later I started and went through the training needed to do my job.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be available to work all shifts?   View Answer

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Nothing special about the interview. They ask the same questions any other retail store askes

i had experience so they gave me 9.50