J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
45 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, first one was an easy HR one. Second was split into 2 interviews with management.

3rd interview is at the home office. 2 face to face interview and 1 group case study. Case study mostly focuses on group collaboration and thought process.

Interview Question – It was a typical corporate interview so nothing really caught me off guard   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview was the first step and then if they liked you they would be calling you in to have another two phone interview. last step is a small case study

Interview Question – Will ask you if you have any questions before you start   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
Waxahachie, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – The supervisor was so kind & friendly it makes you want to work for her. It was a group interview which I was a little surprised by and no one got the position we all originally applied for we were offered other positions nor were we told it was part-time until the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for JCPenney?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Rockwall, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2012.

Interview Details – Typical asked scenarios

Interview Question – Who else did you apply for and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great

Business Analyst Trainee Interview

Business Analyst Trainee
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

Interview Details – First step was a phone interview with the recruiter, second step was 2 30-minute phone interviews with 2 executives on each call, third step is a home office tour and then the home office interview. The home office interview consists of 2 30-minute face-to-face interviews, followed by a group case study project with up to five executives sitting in on the process. They were very quick in letting you know ASAP that you made it through to the next round.

Interview Question – 1) Have you manipulated data to solve problems, 2) Describe a situation when you came up with a solution to a problem but it didn't work out so you had to come up with another solution, 3) Have you ever taken a leadership role in your classes, doing something that wasn't required of you   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was three interviews long for me: 1) Phone screen 2) Face to face with HR 3) Face to Face roundtable with multiple members of the division

The process is pretty standard. They don't try any intimidation tactics, or any really difficult lines of questioning to confuse you. They want to know if you're a fit for the team you'll be working on and whether you'll add value in a way that someone else will not.

Interview Question – What differentiates you from the other candidates we are considering for this job? What is the ideal team dynamic you are seeking in a new position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was long because I was negotiating with two other companies at the same time. They were willing to match or beat every offer given by the other companies to a certain point past the original offer.

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2014.

Interview Details – First HR, then Skype Interview then in person interview

Interview Question – Phone interview was fairly easy, in person was easy   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in January 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by internal JCP recruiters for the position via LinkedIn, proceeded with telephone interview. In person interview was conducted at the Corporate Office over lunch in JCP private dining room. Additional interviews conducted in department meeting room. Total interview time around 2hrs.

Interview Question – Was why I was looking to leave my current company.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

Interview Details – There are three interviews. They will ask basic and common interview questions. Dress nice, be polite, don't give stupid answers and you'll get the job.

Interview Question – What can you contribute to our store enviroment?   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I did a phone interview for the Business Analyst Trainee position. The interviewing process consists of 3 phases: 1) phone interview, 2) two 30-minute interviews with members of merchandising(?) team, 3) on-site interview at home office. In the phone interview, she began by asking up front if I had any questions about the position or anything. Then she asked questions like- Why you applied/interested in the position? What experience in excel you have? Explain how number manipulation works in excel (like formulas)? Explain product allocation and how it works? Explain how profit and loss work? (I saw this one on reviews but didn't think much of it, so make sure you have a way of answering that). Overall, she was very pleasant and friendly. My scheduled phone interview was at 10:00 am, and she didn't call until about 10:30, so I was kind of caught off guard because I didn't think she was going to call! Not a difficult interview, but not the typical screening/basic background type one either.

Interview Question – What is profit and loss in a business?   Answer Question

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!