J. C. Penney Interview Questions in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

There are three interviews. They will ask basic and common interview questions. Dress nice, be polite, don't give stupid answers and you'll get the job.

Loss Prevention Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

I submitted three applications via the JCP website for other positions but never received a response. I applied to this position via lpjobs.com and received a phone interview 3 days later with the LP Manager. I had an in-person interview with that same manager two weeks later and then a phone interview with a manager at the corporate office one week after that.

JCPenney uses the behavioral interview centering around specific situations a person has been in, what actions the person took, and the results of the actions. This takes a lot of self-awareness and I recommend conducting an interview of the many types of environments you've been in and what you did to make it better.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions start with "Tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

I just had a group interview on Tuesday and was told I will receive a call Friday. Now I have a second interview hoping I will get the job! :)

Interview Questions
    I accepted the second interview, I'm still waiting what the results will be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2013.

I had a phone interview with a lady and she asked the following questions:
    Give an example when you worked in a group and why it was better to work in that group rather than by yourself?
    An example, when you used different variables to make a decision?
    2 reasons you wanna work for JC Penney?
    Have you been to a JC Penney store recently?
    Example of an excel project you worked on?

Interview Questions
    • Describe profit and loss? Thought it was a funny question.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Applied online on my campus career site. Received basic phone interview a week later. After that, I received a subsequent phone screen with two interviewees in which I was asked basic questions such as "why retail" and "why JCP" as well pseudo-case questions like "we're thinking about rolling out a new jewelry line, what would you consider?" After that I was invited to the final round. Day before is getting staff acclimated with the company. The final round is pretty straightforward. The day consists of two behavioral interviews with two staff members each, as well as a group case interview with some basic math followed by a group presentation. Know stock/sales ratio and what it means and you should be fine. Speak during the group presentation and make sure they know what you are thinking. The group case is very qualitative with the math being very simple. Show them that you can think outside the box.

Interview Questions
    • Should we roll out a new jewelry line? What information would you want to know? (Phone interview)   View Answers (3)

I received a slightly better offer from another company. I was slightly worried about the company's direction and felt that my competing offer would reflect better on a potential MBA app. If I didn't have the other offer, I would happily take this job and feel great about it. Atmosphere seemed great and the work seemed fun.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

2 phone interviews, first one was an easy HR one. Second was split into 2 interviews with management.

3rd interview is at the home office. 2 face to face interview and 1 group case study. Case study mostly focuses on group collaboration and thought process.

Interview Questions
    • It was a typical corporate interview so nothing really caught me off guard   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter via Linkedin. She set up a phone interview that took 30 minutes in which she asked me screening questions about planning & allocation and retail math. After that, she set up an interview at the headquarters. I was flown out on a Monday night, picked up by a limo service, then taken to a nice hotel. In the morning I took the shuttle from the hotel to the HQ and met the recruiter.

I was actually interviewed by 4 different people - one HR director and 3 hiring managers. The HR director asked me various behavioral questions. The 3 hiring managers also asked me behavioral questions, as well as technical questions and employment history.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to solve a problem twice.   Answer Question
    • How do you stay up to date with what is happening in the industry?   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when you had to work with a difficult person. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite store to shop in?   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2013.

The interview process was three interviews long for me: 1) Phone screen 2) Face to face with HR 3) Face to Face roundtable with multiple members of the division

The process is pretty standard. They don't try any intimidation tactics, or any really difficult lines of questioning to confuse you. They want to know if you're a fit for the team you'll be working on and whether you'll add value in a way that someone else will not.

Interview Questions
    • What differentiates you from the other candidates we are considering for this job? What is the ideal team dynamic you are seeking in a new position?   Answer Question
    It was long because I was negotiating with two other companies at the same time. They were willing to match or beat every offer given by the other companies to a certain point past the original offer.

Merchandise Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

After giving my resume to a recruiter at a Career Fair, I got a call about a week and set up a phone interview. The recruiter never called during the scheduled time, I both emailed and called recruiter to reschedule for another time (after waiting for about 45 min). When the recruiter finally called on our second attempt, they made no apology for missing our first interview (I understand that things happen, so a simple apology would have been fine). The phone interview was one of the most uncomfortable interview I have ever had. She seemed like she was doing something else during the interview, and I felt no connection during the interview. I had been interviewing with a lot of companies, and this was by far my most uncomfortable and worst interview. Surprisingly, a week later I got a call saying they would like to fly me down for round 2 interview. The second round interview was two days, all expense paid. The first day we got a tour of HQ and talked to previous interns. .Afterwards we went to dinner and I could tell they were trying to make it seem more laid back, but was definitely part of the interview process. The next day was the interview, it was a 3 on 1 interview, and everyone in the room had been with the company for more than 15 years. It was a lot of behavioral questions and asking about your knowledge with excel. I felt much better about this interview than the phone one, but still not confident. Although I did not get an offer, I think it was a positive thing in the long run as the company seems to be going down hill fast.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2012.

I applied online through the JCP Careers website. A couple days later, the assistant store manager called me in for an interview. The interview consisted of asking me about my previous work expierence and my availability, and discussing company benefits and all that. After all that, he made a job offer to me on the spot. 2 days later, he called me to let me know that my background check was complete and I could come in for training the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer did not ask any questions except for my expierence and availability.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate since this was my first paid job.