J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.1

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Group interview with three other people. There were about 5 piles of blocks on the table we sat at, and the woman interviewing us said that she would give us an ipad with a picture of a formation of blocks and that we had to instruct the others on how to build it. After that we each had to make a fake sales pitch about a way to improve JCPenney. Very quick and simple.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was easy and fun. It's not your typical boring, questionnaire interview. The managers will just let you interact with your colleagues and the managers are basically observing your personality, how you work and how you handle certain situations. They will also get a taste of your ideas. Very friendly interview and its intimidation-free

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was actually offered to work in fine jewelry instead, after my interview. My manager said because of my great personality and style, I seem to be better with personal interactions with customers, and I know the ropes of retail. I took the offer and I love it.

Salon Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lawrence, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lawrence, KS).

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager. She was very courteous and informative about the position I applied for. The interview didn't take long. I was not offered the position but based on the interview she thought I would be a good fit for the Support Team. I was pleased to know that even though I interviewed for one position, she really listened and understood my strengths to use in a different position.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you gave great customer service?   1 Answer

Emerging Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

First, there was a phone interview. After, it was an in-store interview with a manager at a J.C. Penney near me. They were typical behavioral questions, so it wasn't anything I hadn't prepared for. Just be sure to know the typical scenarios you would use to answer regular behavioral questions, and you should be fine. Everyone is nice!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you succeeded. (Typical behavioral questions)   Answer Question

Fine Jewelry Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was a group interview where they asked us to say something about ourselves and then put us into a bunch of exercises. The first one was a block exercise where they wanted us to lead the others into building a structure (each person takes a turn leading), and you're supposed to pay attention to the color and shape of the structure. The second one was just choosing a promotion for the store from a list and defending it until we came to a consensus on the promotion. The third required each of us to look at items at a certain department depending on a scenario created for us an role-play as an actual employee recommending something to a customer.

Jewelry Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

I first received a short over the phone interview just asking about my availability , then after that we had a group interview of 5 people including myself .

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

I applied online. Got the interview call weak later. The job was "Back to School" So they told me that it is only for two months and they might kept you if you perform good. After interview they told me that they will call me next day to tell me if I got the job or not. However they called me after three days to tell me I got the job. The interview was group interview with other 6 people. Also the interview was really easy. One thing I would suggest that dress nice because one of the kid there was in Tee and jeans while I was in Dress shirt and dress pants.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self. Also we had to play super easy and fun block game. Try to be lead the group in that game so you can show that you have good leadership skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Orland Park, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview only took about 20 minutes. Group interview was to pitch an idea that would make JC Penney the most money then as a group we had to decide who had the best idea. After was an individual interview. In the individual interview I was asked about what I was going to school for and which department I would prefer to work in.

Interview Questions

• What is my major   1 Answer
    • They also asked what department I would like to work in   1 Answer
    • They asked what my availability was   1 Answer

Negotiation

We didn't negotiate at all. I was offered $8.50 an hour and expected the offer. I originally asked for $8.25 because this is my first job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Tempe, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was super relaxed and very easy. I applied online and was called the next day to come in for an interview. It was a group interview with two other girls and the human resource manager. First we were tasked with building a block house after seeing a picture of it for 10 seconds. They really want you to focus on the little details such as colors and shapes. Next we were given a product and had to try to sell it to the other interviewees. And finally, we were called one buy one into the office and we learn whether or not we got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Mount Pleasant, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a group interview with 3 other girls there's about 4 parts to it. The first part is just giving your availability and telling everyone about yourself. The second part is the block exercise. We had 15 minutes total each of us had to look at the block picture on an iPad for 10 secs then explain it to the group for about 1-2 minutes. And we kept doing that til our 15 minutes were up. The third part each of us got a set of options to choose that'll help JCP the most. Those are split up by section, one girl got fashion, another kids, another kids, and mine was home. And then we had to discuss which idea was the best. The fourth and last part was going out on the sales floor and selling/helping a "customer" (a JCP employee). We each got a different section and a different thing we need to help/sell. After that I was offered the job. Now just waiting for background check. Be outgoing, come out on top as a leader, pay attention to detail, smile and always react.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation