J. C. Penney Interview Questions

2.1

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Owings, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Owings, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I filled out a application online, they called me about a month later for a interview. When I arrived there were other people waiting to be interviewed as well. The assistant store manager was the one who interviewed me. She asked me to tell me about myself which I did. She gave me a brief summary of the company and what's expected of me if I were to be hired.

She did my salary based on my experience and she said I would start on Sept 11 pending my background check. My background check came back ok days later. I started on Sept 11.

Intern Interview

1. Had a phone interview with recruiter which took about 20 minutes
    2. Scheduled a face to face interview with store manager which took about an hour
    3. Received a call from the recruiter and accepted the offer

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Arcadia, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arcadia, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

The first interview was a group interview with two parts. First you were divided into groups and each given a paper with two scenarios. You had to choose one and then present it to your group, then your group chooses one to present to everyone. It felt like a high school class activity. Next, some people are released and the remaining candidates are sent to a department in the store, given 10 minutes to get familiar, and then has to role play sales person/customer with one of the interviewers. Next you are called back for a one on one interview with a supervisor.

The interview was easy, but the frustrating part is that they didn't tell me they were considering me for a completely different position than what I applied for. I did not find this out until midway through the second interview, which I do not think is very professional. I was also not given an explanation as to the switch, and it did not seem the position I had applied for had been filled or closed.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Contacted by a College Recruiter. Asked different questions to determine leadership skills and work ethic. After phone interview with recruiter, a face to face interview with a store manager is scheduled. If he/she likes you then the recruiter sets up a phone or in-person interview (depending on location) with a District Manager. Pretty standard interviewing through the whole process.

No negotiation.

Human Resource Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

First you get a phone interview from HQ

You meet with a store leader at the closest store location

You meet with your possible store leader at the location you would most likely be hire at

Your last interview would be with the district leader

Interview Questions
    • Everything is behavior based. For example time me about a time were you assumed a leadership role, what was the situation, outcome, time line, and what was your specific role.   Answer Question
    They didn't negotiated. They just gave me a number and said that was the best that they could do.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I was called in to do a Talent Tryout, which is the first step in the interview process. There was a total of 6 people in the interview, with the HR Specialist and the JCP Salon Manager watching us. We first had to introduce ourselves, and then we did an activity dealing with building a tower out of wooden blocks, in which we had to instruct our team mates. Then, we did an activity where we were each given a different department and two ideas that could help benefit that department in the store. We had to pick one and say why to our team mates. After, we all had to decide which idea would benefit JC Penney and why. After we were done, the HR Specialist told us that we would be getting a call in a few days if you were chosen to move on to the next step. I did not get the job, but it's ok because it was only a temporary job for back to school.

Interview Questions
    • The building blocks activity was the most intimidating for me because I accidentally messed up, and instructing others is just not really my thing. It just depends on your personality. I guess it was a way for them to see how well you are able to lead a group and how you interact with others. Just be prepared to do that if you do get called in for an interview.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Very easy group interview and questions. There was no individual interview and most of the time was just working together to build a structure out of wooden blocks! A few questions were asked and the process probably only took about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received service that was "above and beyond"   Answer Question
    Negotiation was offered but 9.00 seemed very fair at the time.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
         I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
           So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions
    Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!