J. C. Penney

616 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hair Stylist Interview

Hair Stylist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Interview was very quick . We went over my resume quickly . Asked if I was confident in my abilities . Not a lot about myself. more about how the salon at jc penney was operated. Toured the salon. The salon was modern and well kept. Discussed pay scale and discounts. It felt more like a orientation than an interview.

Costumer Service Specialist Interview

Costumer Service Specialist
Wesley Chapel, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called an hour later to come to a "team tryout" the next day at 2 pm. There were 15 people in our group, so the HR directors split us into one group of ten and one group of five. I was in the group of ten. We sat around a table and the man interviewing us had us each introduce ourselves and say a little bit about ourselves. He then split us into three groups and gave each of us a sheet of paper. On it were for different "ideas" for the store to use as their next sales/marketing tool. As a group, you had to pick the best one. One person in the group had to present. VOLUNTEER TO PRESENT!!! You have to say which option you chose and why it's the best for the store. Think about profit, safety, and wants of the costumers when you choose. After you present the interviewer will ask you questions about the idea you picked so be prepared to answer. Then we sat in the room and were called back one by one to speak with another HR director. She called me back, asked about my availability and what department I would prefer. She then offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied online got a call about 3 days later. I was invited to an interview that following Wednesday. It was group interview as expected with 6 other people. He asked us each about 4 questions asked what department we would like to be in. Brought in his boss who asked us 1 questiob. Each. They went out and talked. He came back in said he was gonna bring us out individually. The first 4 people were indeed brought out individually (I'm assuming they didn't get the job). When he came back in and sat down with the the 4 of us who were left and offered us the job. Was told to expect a call in about a week and a half for onboarding. Overall really good experience.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
El Centro, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2014.

Interview Details – is a group interview you show up is other candidates applying as well. the interview process in interest you start off with 2 activities and once is done is hiring manager likes what she/he sees they will follow you with second interview.

Interview Question – if you get called for second interview be prepared with your A game. You will perform in front of hiring manager and pretend you are an existing employee.   Answer Question

Fine Jewelry Expert Interview

Fine Jewelry Expert
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Very basic. Tell me about yourself and situational questions. Interviewer was very excited and polite. She informed on the company and all the changes that were occurring along with future changes. She gave me her history with the company and then asked if i had any questions for her regarding the company or about the position.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my schedule being that I needed Fridays off. It was approved.

Store Leader Interview

Store Leader

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Hiring takes place usually from within.. HRL or MEL positions are the stepping stones to getting your opportunity. Being in those positions for at least 2 years and having success will give a great chance of being selected as a potential candidate. From within it would start from the Store Leader really giving you an opportunity to meet with District Manager and proceed from there.

Interview Question – Did not have any... It was based on my past performances   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none... This is your pay and this is when you start

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Miami, FL

Interview Details – I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Question – What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2013.

Interview Details – Short interviewing at the job fair. I was looking for informational interview so it was very easy and the interview was very open and willing to give all the details about the position and what someone could expect

Reason for Declining – only personal reasons

Service Specialist Interview

Service Specialist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview Details – Initially an online application, which will lead to a phone call within 3 days. Then a date is set, and the interview process starts as soon as you walk in. YOu will be seated in a room with other interviewees, and it is a good idea to break the ice and talk to each other-this is important. You and the group will be lead into a room with 5 judges, and they will ask in turn for one word that would describe you. They will be relaxed and nice, follow their lead but be confident. They will hand out a sheet of paper with two ideas and a department(Kid's, women's, home) to each person. 5 minutes to pick one of the ideas and "pitch" the idea to the other interviewees. Afterwards, the whole group will pick one of the ideas that were pitched, and a presentation must be created for the judges within 10 minutes. It is a good idea to volunteer to present for the group. Afterwards, the judges will leave the room and pick at least 2 candidates to leave, meaning they will not be hired. With the remaining candidates, each one will pretend to be an employee, and help a judge with whatever they need. Be confident, ask appropriate questions[color, size, brand, etc.] and be on your toes. The judges will purposely be talkative and slightly outrageous to test you. Afterwards, they will leave the room once again, and pick who else will not get the job. There is a chance no one will be picked. Whoever is left will be given the job, and each one will come into the next room for background check and details about your position. Congrats! in a week they will give you a call about job training and hours of work.

Interview Question – What is one word you would use to describe yourself?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview professionally and attended, I did find one thing that was unprofessional about the interview. My interviewer asked my age, which I was told is illegal to ask during interview. But all in all I did receive a job offer and I took it.

Interview Question – What could you offer to out customer service line?   Answer Question

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!