J. C. Penney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Roseville, CA

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

Interview Details – same as all other interview processes for entry level sales. what you did before and what you can bring, your personality and to measure how outgoing and friendly you are. Interviewer hardly looked like she was listening.

Interview Question – situational question and how to handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Schaumburg, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for the job in store computer, received a call from a manager couple days later, then had a group interview where I got hired on the spot. The interview was a group interview.

Interview Question – "describe a time where you inspired someone"   Answer Question

Stockroom Specialist Interview

Stockroom Specialist
Wellington, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Job posting did not specify hours of work. Group interview format. About 25 people were asked the same 5 questions. Took about 45 min. Don't know how they can pick quality employees.

Interview Question – How do you feel about soliciting JC Penny credit cards.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – part-time job changed to seasonal.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, first one was an easy HR one. Second was split into 2 interviews with management.

3rd interview is at the home office. 2 face to face interview and 1 group case study. Case study mostly focuses on group collaboration and thought process.

Interview Question – It was a typical corporate interview so nothing really caught me off guard   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, about a week and a half later I got a call from jcp to do an over the phone interview. Then was asked to come in for a face to face interview. Showed up for the interview and was told it was a group interview, Yikes! We were told to build something as a group, then after we finish, to sell new ideas from a wide selection given to all of us on a piece of paper. It actually went pretty smooth. I guess they wanted to see how well we work with others, if we take charge or follow directions easily. I made it a point to talk to everyone so they could see how personable I am. Others in the group were more dominant, a little too showy in trying to come across as confident. But after the last activity, the managers left, called us back into offices to talk more about availability....some said "I need to ask you about something on your application." Which like others have said on here is just code words for separating you from the group to make an offer of employment. I was asked if I could come in the following few days for training and was asked which department I wanted or if I wanted to work behind the scenes. The whole process was very different from other interviews I have had and very professional too! Everyone was nice and they made sure if I had any more questions that I have everyone's number and email if I need to get a hold of someone.

Interview Question – The most difficult was trying to explain to the group during the exercise how to build the little house.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, started at min wage.

Hair Stylist Interview

Hair Stylist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Interview was very quick . We went over my resume quickly . Asked if I was confident in my abilities . Not a lot about myself. more about how the salon at jc penney was operated. Toured the salon. The salon was modern and well kept. Discussed pay scale and discounts. It felt more like a orientation than an interview.

Costumer Service Specialist Interview

Costumer Service Specialist
Wesley Chapel, FL

Interview Details – I applied online and was called an hour later to come to a "team tryout" the next day at 2 pm. There were 15 people in our group, so the HR directors split us into one group of ten and one group of five. I was in the group of ten. We sat around a table and the man interviewing us had us each introduce ourselves and say a little bit about ourselves. He then split us into three groups and gave each of us a sheet of paper. On it were for different "ideas" for the store to use as their next sales/marketing tool. As a group, you had to pick the best one. One person in the group had to present. VOLUNTEER TO PRESENT!!! You have to say which option you chose and why it's the best for the store. Think about profit, safety, and wants of the costumers when you choose. After you present the interviewer will ask you questions about the idea you picked so be prepared to answer. Then we sat in the room and were called back one by one to speak with another HR director. She called me back, asked about my availability and what department I would prefer. She then offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied online got a call about 3 days later. I was invited to an interview that following Wednesday. It was group interview as expected with 6 other people. He asked us each about 4 questions asked what department we would like to be in. Brought in his boss who asked us 1 questiob. Each. They went out and talked. He came back in said he was gonna bring us out individually. The first 4 people were indeed brought out individually (I'm assuming they didn't get the job). When he came back in and sat down with the the 4 of us who were left and offered us the job. Was told to expect a call in about a week and a half for onboarding. Overall really good experience.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist
El Centro, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2014.

Interview Details – is a group interview you show up is other candidates applying as well. the interview process in interest you start off with 2 activities and once is done is hiring manager likes what she/he sees they will follow you with second interview.

Interview Question – if you get called for second interview be prepared with your A game. You will perform in front of hiring manager and pretend you are an existing employee.   Answer Question

Fine Jewelry Expert Interview

Fine Jewelry Expert
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Very basic. Tell me about yourself and situational questions. Interviewer was very excited and polite. She informed on the company and all the changes that were occurring along with future changes. She gave me her history with the company and then asked if i had any questions for her regarding the company or about the position.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my schedule being that I needed Fridays off. It was approved.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!