J. C. Penney Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
637 interviews

2.1

Customer Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

It started with an email, then a phone call, then a meeting with two crazy managers. The managers had quite a sense of humor. They thought everything I said was funny. They seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Interview Questions
    Let them know what you made at your previous employer and then they will go from there. The managers thought everything was funny and laughed quite a bit during the interview.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and the process took about 3-5 days to get a call from the HR to go in for a group interview, they also do a small phone interview as well, so be ready! They just asked to see what I did at my previous workplace, why you left the workplace and why you want to work at JCP. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the group interview due to a personal issue. Even due to canceling the interview, the HR nonetheless still called me the next following day that she worked and set up a one-on-one interview with one of the Lead Experts. I had 3 days to prepare for my next interview set-up, I dressed up business casual (Flats, Blazer, Dressy sleeveless shirt, Dress pants) and went right when the store just opened up.The interview went pretty well, they just go through your submitted application and asked the same questions as the phone interview, "What skills do you have to contribute to our company? Why would you be a good fit for our company? Etc. Etc." Like I said, common sense and a few scenarios (Even have opportunity to just let them know about your own personal "GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE" scenario from a different job as well). After she interviewed me, a lead that's higher then her came in to interview me as well, they basically asked the same question and went over my availability and after she offered me the position on the spot and also told me the pay rate. It was a very laid back interview.

Interview Questions
    • First off, pass the questionnaire test at the end of the application - If you don't pass it, you have to wait a total of 180 days to re-apply again. Don't even call and tell them to hire you, as much as they want to hire you based off your personality, they won't even be able to pull up your application.

-No difficult questions, they were all basic common sense & scenarios.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, I didn't want to get turned down just cause I ask for a higher pay rate. I was fine with what was offered.

PA Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

The first step was an HR phone interview. The second step was a phone interview with 4 Managers, 2 half an hour interviews. The third step was an office interview with 4 Directors, 2 half an hour interviews and a group case study.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Contacted by a College Recruiter. Asked different questions to determine leadership skills and work ethic. After phone interview with recruiter, a face to face interview with a store manager is scheduled. If he/she likes you then the recruiter sets up a phone or in-person interview (depending on location) with a District Manager. Pretty standard interviewing through the whole process.

No negotiation.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Interview Questions
    • How did you prepare for this interview?
      What is your salary expectation for this job?
      Tell me about a time when you had to plan and coordinate a project from start to finish?
        Answer Question
    if you are offered this role I would suggest to take it

Human Resource Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

First you get a phone interview from HQ

You meet with a store leader at the closest store location

You meet with your possible store leader at the location you would most likely be hire at

Your last interview would be with the district leader

Interview Questions
    • Everything is behavior based. For example time me about a time were you assumed a leadership role, what was the situation, outcome, time line, and what was your specific role.   Answer Question
    They didn't negotiated. They just gave me a number and said that was the best that they could do.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2010.

this would like the most toughest part of your day. the interview was so nice. i could not believe my ears when i heard i got the job. i survive the day.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
         I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
           So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions
    Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!