J. C. Penney

545 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Helena, MT

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

Interview Details – Got the interview after applying online. If they like you then they have to run a background check. After the background check they will call you with an offer.

Interview Question – Normal interview questions. "Describe a time when..." Something challenging, a missed customer service opportunity, how you would get someone to apply for a JCP credit card, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, the offered me a wage and I could either accept or decline.

Very Easy Interview

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was called a few days later by the store manager who asked me to come in that day. Asked a few questions about me and my previous job and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Nashua, NH

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied online, I heard back fairly quickly with a phone call from a really friendly woman in management who does the hiring there. She asked me about previous retail experience, what department I would want to work in and if I was applying for a part time or seasonal position. She told me she was interested in an interview. I went in for the interview and dressed professionally. It was a group interview with two other people which I was not aware of until I arrived there. It took place in a tiny office. The store has mens and womens departments and there were men and women in the interview. We were each given a sheet of paper with different sales tactics scenarios that were hypothetical. We each had to choose which one was the best in our opinion for the stores' sales and the customers. The man in the interview chose an awful scenario which was a virtual golf game in the mens department and he said he chose it because it was a good idea for men to have something to do while the women were shopping. The other woman in the interview and myself both chose the same scenario but had different and unique explanations which was great because it showed our individuality and what we could bring to the sales force. We chose a scenario where there was a booth or some sort of computer program that customers could go to that would measure their exact size for shoes, pants, tops, dresses, etc and it would allow them to choose the type of clothes they wanted to buy that were available in the store. I said that it was great because people could be measured privately and were shown actual items they could order and buy in store and would encourage them to come back again to shop. After this scenario activity the manager dumped out a box of blocks on her desk and pulled out an ipad with a photo of what the blocks should look like put together. Each of us being interviewed had to take a turn telling the other two interviewees how to assemble the blocks to make the blocks look like the photo on the ipad. Only the person directing the other interviewees could look at the photo and we would switch every few minutes until the blocks were built into whatever the photo showed. This illustrated our leadership capabilities and our ability to take direction. There wasn't much talk in the interview about our experience and why we should have the job. It was like a big test. After the block activity the manager explained the basic departments we could work in and what the duties are. Asked if we had questions, etc. It was a 45+ minute long experience. We all left not knowing if we got the job. A few days after the interview I got a phone call saying they would love to hire me and they offered me a number for my hourly pay over the phone and asked if i would accept it. After I agreed they told me when to come in for computer training. I showed up for training a week later and the other people i interviewed with were also hired. It was a typical day of training where we put all of our employee info into the system, got our store discount card and had to watch a few hours of videos on what happens when a child goes missing and how to work the registers. After a few days of computer training they send you to the department you will be working with and they paired me with someone who could show me the ropes. They even asked the person they paired me with to take their break at the same time as me so I would have someone to sit with at lunch. The break room is like a mini cafeteria.

Interview Question – I believe they asked me about past stressful experiences and how I handled them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me over the phone to offer me the job and offered me my hourly rate because of how much past retail experience I had.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communications were succinct and to the point. The interview was clear, concise and asked the right kinds of questions for the job. After references were checked, the job was offered right away.

Interview Question – Will you stay with us after you get a "real job?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. It was a retail job.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – It was a group tryout. We were given scenarios to brainstorm from and come up with possible solutions.

Interview Question – The total tryout was a unique scenario in itself because it required you to work with the other candidates to complete the tasks. We had to work as a team. I thought it was great.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty simple. I received a phone call and was given an offer.

Leader In Training Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I first spoke to a recruiter at a University career fair and within a few days I scheduled a follow up phone interview. The phone interview was mostly your basic interview questions, nothing too out of the box. Once the phone interview was completed I then was given a date for an in store interview. At the in store interview I meet with the store manager and had a much more in depth interview, I was also given a tour of the store and got to see a little bit of the behind the scenes of what goes on in a store. A day later the HR representative contacted me to let me know I had passed the in interview and would be moving on to another phone interview with a district manager. In this interview It was a little more detailed questions that the previous times. I felt like throughout the whole process each round of interview questions go a little harder each time. When I finished the last interview I was told that all three of the people I interviewed with would talk and discuss whether they were going to give me an offer or not and let me know my results in the next few days. A day or so later the HR representative called me and told me that they would be giving me an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to motivate someone to complete a task.   Answer Question

Bourbonnais, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – My sister worked at this company, so I was called to set up an interview shortly after applying online. After the interview, I was told I would be hired pending back ground check, and I was asked which department I would prefer to work in out of Women's Apparel, Children's Apparel, or Sales Support.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself? (I was in high school, so I wasn't sure who I was at the time)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2013.

Interview Details – Simple enough interview just looking for seasonal help.

Interview Question – Nothing really   Answer Question

Emerging Leader Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's Career Center and also turned in my resume to the JCP recruiter at the Career Fair. I interviewed over the phone with the main recruiter and an in-person interview with the local store leader. Largely behavioral, no surprising questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time your worked with a team to accomplish something?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Trainee Interview

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2014.

Interview Details – First step was a phone interview with the recruiter, second step was 2 30-minute phone interviews with 2 executives on each call, third step is a home office tour and then the home office interview. The home office interview consists of 2 30-minute face-to-face interviews, followed by a group case study project with up to five executives sitting in on the process. They were very quick in letting you know ASAP that you made it through to the next round.

Interview Question – 1) Have you manipulated data to solve problems, 2) Describe a situation when you came up with a solution to a problem but it didn't work out so you had to come up with another solution, 3) Have you ever taken a leadership role in your classes, doing something that wasn't required of you   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney interview questions and advice. All 545 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.