J. C. Penney

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Sales Manager Trainee

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – Contacted by a College Recruiter. Asked different questions to determine leadership skills and work ethic. After phone interview with recruiter, a face to face interview with a store manager is scheduled. If he/she likes you then the recruiter sets up a phone or in-person interview (depending on location) with a District Manager. Pretty standard interviewing through the whole process.

Interview Question – Pretty standard questions asked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Freehold, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Interview Details – I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at J.C. Penney?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Downey, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Interview Details – I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
     I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
       So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Question – None I was prepared, so study up!!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2010.

Interview Details – this would like the most toughest part of your day. the interview was so nice. i could not believe my ears when i heard i got the job. i survive the day.

Joliet, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2014.

Interview Details – They call you and tell you that they've received your application, ask you a few questions such as: why do you want to work at JCP? Or what department you'd like to work in. After that they'll decide if they want you to come in for an interview. Once your there, the head of that JCP will interview you. :) If you get the job, they'll give you your start date and train you.

Interview Questions

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I was called in to do a Talent Tryout, which is the first step in the interview process. There was a total of 6 people in the interview, with the HR Specialist and the JCP Salon Manager watching us. We first had to introduce ourselves, and then we did an activity dealing with building a tower out of wooden blocks, in which we had to instruct our team mates. Then, we did an activity where we were each given a different department and two ideas that could help benefit that department in the store. We had to pick one and say why to our team mates. After, we all had to decide which idea would benefit JC Penney and why. After we were done, the HR Specialist told us that we would be getting a call in a few days if you were chosen to move on to the next step. I did not get the job, but it's ok because it was only a temporary job for back to school.

Interview Question – The building blocks activity was the most intimidating for me because I accidentally messed up, and instructing others is just not really my thing. It just depends on your personality. I guess it was a way for them to see how well you are able to lead a group and how you interact with others. Just be prepared to do that if you do get called in for an interview.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Very easy group interview and questions. There was no individual interview and most of the time was just working together to build a structure out of wooden blocks! A few questions were asked and the process probably only took about an hour.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you received service that was "above and beyond"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was offered but 9.00 seemed very fair at the time.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Customer Service Specialist

I applied through other source - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2014.

Interview Details – One interview, asked about past job experiences the interview went great.
Manager ask me to show him how I would approach a customer and I did. He was very impressed.
I was offered the position. I accepted the offer

Negotiation Details – Be patient and polite

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview Details – I've never participated in an interview process like J.C. Penney's before this experience. I had to come in for a "Talent Tryout", which consisted of myself and three others spending an hour interacting and working on tasks. I admit I was nervous because honestly it just felt weird to me. Two employees, the store leader and a HR employee, observed us working on the two tasks but did not really interact with us. We had to instruct each other how to build a block structure first, then we had to pitch a sales idea to the group. Unless J.C. Penney is really your ideal place to work, I wouldn't recommend putting in the effort. I really needed a job, but did not receive an offer. At the end of the interview, the store leader informed us only two people would be hired. Two people would not be hired. In my opinion, it's a bad interviewing process that wastes valuable time. I do not feel the hiring manager or store leader got any real sense of who I was from this experiment. Weird.

Interview Question – Unconventional "talent tryout" interview; no questions   Answer Question

Roseville, CA

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

Interview Details – same as all other interview processes for entry level sales. what you did before and what you can bring, your personality and to measure how outgoing and friendly you are. Interviewer hardly looked like she was listening.

Interview Question – situational question and how to handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!