J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.1

Intern Interview

1. Had a phone interview with recruiter which took about 20 minutes
    2. Scheduled a face to face interview with store manager which took about an hour
    3. Received a call from the recruiter and accepted the offer

Hair Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in January 2010.

Received a call within a week of applying asking to set up time for interview. It was very relaxed from start to finish. Nothing unexpected was thrown at me. In most regards it was more for the manager to know when my start date could be.

No negotiation.

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Riverside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Riverside, IL

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

The interviewers were very well prepared. They took turns speaking and asking questions. They made me feel welcome and asked for my comments. Usually when they ask if I have any questions, I never do only because I never know what to ask. Especially when they cover all of the pertinent information when they tell about the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

It was VERY easy nothing scientific, come on, is for a sales job, he just talked about the infinite don'ts: don't do this, don't do that. Then he play a video with examples of how to sale something. then an easy test asking questions related to the video.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Applied online and received a call about three weeks later to come in for a "Talent Audition." They say they don't "do interviews." They have you sit in a room without other people (there were 5 of us total) and have you introduce yourself. Then they give you pieces of paper with an assigned department and pre-created ideas to increase sales in that area. We had 10 minutes to read over everything and pick an idea that we thought would be best. Then we each had one minute to pitch our (assigned) idea to each other, followed by 10 minutes to pick which department idea was best for the store.
    After that we were given an iPad and had 10 seconds to look/describe at a 3d model. On the table was building blocks. Without touching them, we had to describe what we saw and begin building the model/tower. After our 10 second look we had 1 minute to describe and instruct. Once the next person went and did the same thing, you could touch the blocks again. We had 10 minutes to build the whole thing. It's basically a test about your patience and communication skills.
    At the end of the day it's a sales associate position, but the interview process requires you to think and act as though you're a higher-up position. They hired everyone in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None, they didn't ask any questions- just gave us tasks and instructions.   Answer Question
    They tell you which department they want you in and what your hourly rate is. Non-negotiable.

Department DM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2011.

It took 45 days and 3 Interviews. It was all done by phone. I had a phone interview with a Recruiter and a Human Resource Manager. After that I was interviewed by a Region Sales Manager.
    The interview questions were average difficulty. They were most concerned to hire someone with a positive attitude.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a certain amount that I thought was a little high and they said yes.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

It started with an email, then a phone call, then a meeting with two crazy managers. The managers had quite a sense of humor. They thought everything I said was funny. They seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Interview Questions
    Let them know what you made at your previous employer and then they will go from there. The managers thought everything was funny and laughed quite a bit during the interview.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and the process took about 3-5 days to get a call from the HR to go in for a group interview, they also do a small phone interview as well, so be ready! They just asked to see what I did at my previous workplace, why you left the workplace and why you want to work at JCP. Unfortunately, I couldn't attend the group interview due to a personal issue. Even due to canceling the interview, the HR nonetheless still called me the next following day that she worked and set up a one-on-one interview with one of the Lead Experts. I had 3 days to prepare for my next interview set-up, I dressed up business casual (Flats, Blazer, Dressy sleeveless shirt, Dress pants) and went right when the store just opened up.The interview went pretty well, they just go through your submitted application and asked the same questions as the phone interview, "What skills do you have to contribute to our company? Why would you be a good fit for our company? Etc. Etc." Like I said, common sense and a few scenarios (Even have opportunity to just let them know about your own personal "GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE" scenario from a different job as well). After she interviewed me, a lead that's higher then her came in to interview me as well, they basically asked the same question and went over my availability and after she offered me the position on the spot and also told me the pay rate. It was a very laid back interview.

Interview Questions
    • First off, pass the questionnaire test at the end of the application - If you don't pass it, you have to wait a total of 180 days to re-apply again. Don't even call and tell them to hire you, as much as they want to hire you based off your personality, they won't even be able to pull up your application.

-No difficult questions, they were all basic common sense & scenarios.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation phase, I didn't want to get turned down just cause I ask for a higher pay rate. I was fine with what was offered.

PA Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

The first step was an HR phone interview. The second step was a phone interview with 4 Managers, 2 half an hour interviews. The third step was an office interview with 4 Directors, 2 half an hour interviews and a group case study.

Interview Questions

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!