J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.1

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Springfield, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was relaxed and the interviewers were really nice. I got there early but the guy was running late so I had to wait a bit but it wasn't too bad. I had to talk to two managers and after the second one he made me an offer on the spot but didn't really give me a chance to think about it. He just said I'm making you an offer, then said well call you and schedule orientation for next week. Overall really good and simple

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Management Leader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

One phone interview and one in-person interview. Very relaxed yet energetic interviewer. Interview held in their store location and lasted about 30 minutes or less. Received tour of the store as well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

n/a

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Very simple process, they act very serious and professional when you enter the interview but unless you're interviewing for a manager position you pretty much have it locked up - easy questions about your background.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer stealing an item?   Answer Question

Visual Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Kennesaw, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a group interview with two other people (supposed to be four total, but one didn't show). We met with the general manager, the visual manager, and the person who had scheduled our interviews.

First, we quickly introduced ourselves and then went into a block building exercise. We were given a box of multicolor blocks and had to take turns instructing the others on what to build. Whoever was instructing was given 10 seconds to look at a picture of what we were supposed to construct, and was not allowed to touch the blocks. Meanwhile, the other two people would build for 60 seconds. We would switch roles after the time was up. We had a total of 15 minutes to continue swapping roles and build the piece.

Next, we were each given a handout listing potential marketing events that could bring in more customers for a particular department. Each person had a different department and 4 options to choose from. We were given 10 minutes to review our choices, after which we had to pitch our idea to the group and try to convince them why our choice was the best. I had the Children's Department. My options were: installing a teacup ride, an in-store theatre that would screen Disney movies, an Xbox game room, or a fashion show party event. Each option had a paragraph describing it in more detail. I was asked about overhead and the amount of people I would hire for the option I chose, so be prepared to go into detail about budgeting and profit. After everyone pitched their ideas, we had 3 minutes to choose the overall best option together.

I think this style of interview is great to observe people's leadership and communication skills while seeing how well they work on a team. HOWEVER, be aware that you will really have to jump in and sell yourself if you want the interviewers to know anything about you individually. ALSO, the entire interview process took AN HOUR AND A HALF. I feel like this is WAY too long! If I had been doing the interview on my lunch break, I would have had to leave before we were even halfway through! Be prepared to block out a good chunk of your day for this one!

I did receive an offer. I was never asked to do an individual interview, just went straight to orientation. I was told they start at $7.50/hr for this position, but I was offered $9.00 because of my qualifications. I said I would need $10.00 but was not offered any more. Also, I am listed as part-time but can work full-time hours. They avoid giving people benefits, be aware if that is something you're looking for.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions and discussions about the group exercises.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Redlands, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Group interview. We built a tower of blocks as a team(6 ppl). Each person Took turns leading the group. It was only an hour and a half long. The manager conducting the interview explain things very well. After the blocks game, he told us what positions were open and what JCPenney was looking for in an employee. He answered all our questions. It was by far one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. It was fun & Low stress.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce ourselves and describe a little about our background work experience.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (San Marcos, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I waited forever to hear back from the, when I finally called 2 weeks after showing up, they said there had been an error with the system and they'd just lost my application. I asked if I should reapply, and he said "Yes, and call me when you've finished so we know it's been received. I re-applied, called him, and was immediately given an impromptu phone interview. I was then asked to come in for a face-to-face interview.
    When I met the hiring manager, he was nice, asked me questions like "What was a time you received great customer service?" and "What was a time you received poor customer service?" and then "How important do you think customer service is to a company?"
    He was also willing to negotiate with me about pay. Interview + my questions and extra rapport about the job lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• "What was a time you received great customer service?" "What was a time you received poor customer service?" "How important do you think customer service is to a company?"   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2015.

Interview

The entire interview was really easy and laid back. I was in a group interview with one other guy who had experience while This is my first job. The interviewer just asked questions to get to know us, why we applied, future goals, and situational questions as well. When it was almost over he said he would do separate interviews and I was offered the job right there. But I was told normally there are more people and they play games but not the time.

We did have to pitch an idea to three other employees and it was incredibly easy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was available to negotiate and get higher than his offering price. The only exception was I don't start training for another week because they were undergoing an inspection the following week.

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lone Tree, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online on a Friday and was called in for an interview the next Monday, to be interviewed on Tuesday. The interview was a group, and since there was only one Sephora position available, there were other managers watching the interview to see if they'd like to hire any of the others. They were very straightforward about it, which was nice since I might otherwise think it was a bait and switch.
    There were supposed to be 4 people, but we ended up having only 3. We met in the offices and were immediately introduced to the blocks when we sat down.
    They pass around an iPad with an image of a block structure (which you can spin to get different views) that you look at for 10 seconds. During the ten seconds you can view and instruct the group on how to build it. Then you have another 50 seconds for instructions only - no viewing and no touching the blocks. Then it's the next person's turn. You have a total of 15 minutes to complete it, and it must be accurate to be considered complete.
    Next, we were each given a paper with 4 ideas on how to improve sales in a certain department. Everyone got a different department. For example, mine was the children's department. The ideas were - a small Disney theater with 36 seats for adults and children, a series of 6 xbox consoles with 4 controllers each, a carousel that seats 12 at a time, and an area for a 'fashion show' with costumes for the children.
    We were also given a sheet of paper to take notes on. You decide which idea is most likely to increase sales and take notes on why, because it's presented to you like you'll be doing a presentation to EVERYONE in the room on what you chose. However, the notes will be taken after the 10 minutes is up and you will only have to discuss with the other applicants. Between you and the other applicants, you decide which idea is the best for the store, then that's it.
    The -only- questions we were asked was to repeat our names and fill out a paper with our availability.

They promised to call us the next week and followed through. I was not offered the Sephora position, but they wanted to move forward with hiring me for elsewhere in JCPenney. They're currently running the background check, and will then call to schedule orientation. It may vary by location, but I was told that I will not be drug tested.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westland, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Westland, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview within a week and a half of applying. There was 5 of us and we had to work together to build a block structure based on the picture we saw. (We individually had 10 seconds to view the picture and instruct the others on how to build it) That's literally it. There was no formal interview or anything. We all got hired on the spot except for one person.

Interview Questions

• Which department are you interested in working in?   1 Answer

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milledgeville, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Milledgeville, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very pleasant. Of course you're going to be nervous as soon as you walk through the door but, Mrs. Tammie makes sure that you are completely comfortable!! She will ask you simple questions about yourself and also talk about things going on in the world today. The interview will be smooth and really quick.